Mountain Biking

So like an absolute tool that I am, I missed out on the sale price of the Canyon Neuron 6 as I thought the sale went on for another day :o

So I've narrowed it down to two alternatives.

The Merida One-Forty 500 which can be had for £1867 with the voucher code or the Boardman MTR 9.0 for £1800.

I love the look of the Merida but that Boardman has a superior spec (SLX all round as opposed to the Merida with a bit of Deore and bit of KMC and Raceface).

Anyone have any experience with the forks or even the bikes?
Did you buy in the end?

The Neuron 6 is on sale again, even cheaper I think.

I noticed that the Stoic 3 is on for only £950, which is quite a long way cheaper than I bought it in a previous sale at £1,100!

I got a Giant Trance 29 2 for £1300 in the end. It's sat in a box in my garage.

I was tempted to send it back but once you factor in the Canyon delivery and charge for a box, it's still £447 more than what I paid for the Giant.

Even with an additional 10mm of travel and a step up in components (SLX Vs Deore), my man maths couldn't justify it.

MT7 Pro HC3 front and rear arrived with bleed kit, fluid, brackets for the 220mm MDR-P rotors front and rear as well as some spare olives and oil needle installation tool with cutter.

Proper chuffed to be able to get on with it until I realised I need the adaptors to mount the SRAM Eagle gear changer and the dropper post… looks like a trip out on Monday to my local Magura stockist to get this purchased or I’ll have a wasted weekend on my hands which I don’t really want.

All I want is to go play :(

What’s the best way to size up a mountain bike. I’m about 5”9 with a ~30-31” inseam.

I’m planning on getting a new full suspension mountain bike. Possibly either a Specialized Stumpjumper or a Trek fuel.

My height tends to put me between medium/large in most brands.

Any tips on which size to go for [medium or large] in that situation?

Last edited:
What’s the best way to size up a mountain bike. I’m about 5”9 with a shortish ~30” inseam.

I’m planning on getting a new full suspension mountain bike.

This depends on brand as well, cube for instance size up a bit small so you might find the large suits you better whereas another brand the medium is perfect.
Sadly the only way is to sit on one and see which fits you better. It's not just about height and leg length, reach factors in but also what you'll be using the bike for. Flowy jump trails a smaller frame is often recommended so you can throw the bike round easier whereas the larger bike can feel more planted on steep downhill runs.

I'm 6"1 and go large. Your height sounds like a medium to be honest.
I’m erring towards medium as I found with Trek Fuel ML size i tested I was right on the limit of the dropper post height.

The medium feels like a safer bet as I could always increase the length of the stem or fit a riser bar if necessary.

What’s the best way to size up a mountain bike. I’m about 5”9 with a ~30-31” inseam.

I’m planning on getting a new full suspension mountain bike. Possibly either a Specialized Stumpjumper or a Trek fuel.

Depends on your torso and arm length too.

I’m 178cm what ever that is and my legs had me sitting on an S3 and feeling great but I felt a bit upright so went with an S4. Once riding the S4 feels better however if I’m trying to throw it about I find myself grumbling as the S3 would in hindsight have been a better fit. The reality is I’m throwing a bike around 20% of the time so the S4 is better for me overall.

I’d say at an inch shorter with a similar leg length, that the S4 would feel a bit too large when trying to do anything more technical with speed. In other words, go S3 and if you need to, get a new headset that drops your handlebars 10mm forward if you absolutely must.

Last edited:

Don't size of medium or large. Size of geometry. Reach, Stack, Effective Top Tube.

Depends on your torso and arm length too.

I’m 178cm what ever that is and my legs had me sitting on an S3 and feeling great but I felt a bit upright so went with an S4. Once riding the S4 feels better however if I’m trying to throw it about I find myself grumbling as the S3 would in hindsight have been a better fit. The reality is I’m throwing a bike around 20% of the time so the S4 is better for me overall.
That was my feeling. The ML sized Trek I rode felt more “comfortable” and ergonomic but also felt like it was at the expense of manouverability. it was harder to hop up kerbs and over speed bumps when i test rode it than my medium rockhopper.

I didn’t like the way the s3 Stumpjumper “felt “ when sitting on it. I would say that the medium trek fuel felt larger than the s3 Stumpjumper so I might opt for the Trek as it feels like a better compromise.

Last edited:
What’s the best way to judge that?
Try a few bikes and find ones that are comfortable, then note down the geometry.
Reach is the length when stood up.
Top Tube is the length when sat down.
Stack is how high the front is in relation to the bottom bracket, more makes you more upright.

For instance I'm 178cm and I like 470mm reach and around 600 top tube. Some bikes that's a large stone it's a medium others a M/l.

Last edited:
So I was going to change the tyre on my sons Canyon hardtail and found the tyre bead wouldn’t unseat at any point off the rim. Eventually I tried the other side of the tyre and it came off easily.
Turns out one side is stuck onto the rim - is this normal :cry:

53820362169_e28cfb8b57_c.jpg

Last edited:
So I was going to change the tyre on my sons Canyon hardtail and found the tyre bead wouldn’t unseat at any point off the rim. Eventually I tried the other side of the tyre and it came off easily.
Turns out one side is stuck onto the rim - is this normal :cry:

53820362169_e28cfb8b57_c.jpg

Is that a ‘tubeless’ setup of some kind as I’ve never had experience of them?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom