Mountain Biking

Some dh guys use carbon rims, personally don't get the appeal. But then I break rims now and then and I've seen carbon rims break.
Yea, I seen photos or rims with cracks around the spoke holes and they weren't even carbon rims.

interestingly my uber beefy rims must be
1427g for the rear and 1235g for the front. (they roll amazingly well downhill, the street outside my house is only about a 5-6degree slope and I can hit 22+ mph without pedalling)

They are sold as purpose built EMTB rims "An asymmetric rim design with 20% thicker walls"

yet the max rider weight is only 25kg higher than what's listed for the above Carbon rims.

Makes me wonder what actually limits the max weight then, could it be spoke count? and not the actual rim? or could it even be the hubs themselves

Last edited:
Yea, I seen photos or rims with cracks around the spoke holes and they weren't even carbon rims.

interestingly my uber beefy rims must be
1427g for the rear and 1235g for the front. (they roll amazingly well downhill, the street outside my house is only about a 5-6degree slope and I can hit 22+ mph without pedalling)

They are sold as purpose built EMTB rims "An asymmetric rim design with 20% thicker walls"

yet the max rider weight is only 25kg higher than what's listed for the above Carbon rims.

Makes me wonder what actually limits the max weight then, could it be spoke count? and not the actual rim? or could it even be the hubs themselves

All 3, lower spoke count obviously lighter and less sturdy. I had a set of 28 spoke wheels before. They didn't last long.

The rolling has very little to do with wheel weight, if anything heavier wheels will probably help. Tyre compound will play a higher factor in rolling speed downhill like that. Carbon rims do allow for stiffness, which can help in lateral flex, when you feel a wheel flex it's not a nice feeling.

So you have a choice between heavy and not flexing or carbon and expensive hubs and not getting lateral flexing with a lighter weight.

The answer is to buy an ebike and not worry about the weight :p

Long wait is over. Can't wait until Friday now.

czupZ6E.jpg

Back
Top Bottom