Mourinho Sacked! Solskjær new interim manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
Factually incorrect...
Factually incorrect? Now unless you're Ed Woodward or one of the Glazers and based on the incredibly poor understading of financial matters you've shown in the past I'm guessing you aren't, where's this factual information come from?

Caporegime
The club may have spent 400m.....and sold £100m in the same time (funny you and everyone else doesn't mention that at all) ...but hardly any of them were JM's choice

a certain spurs defender was very realistic and he was wanted by JM but the club wouldn't sanction it

The club extended JM's contract and then pulled the rug from under his feet. Typical EW (just like wasting money on Fellaini ....twice....)

JM has been at fault for plenty - but so have the club and the owners

Factually incorrect - they chose commercial targets like Pogba and Sanchez , not what the manager actually wanted for football reasons (numerous other examples like Lindelof and probably Dalot as well)

First off, give a single piece of evidence that any of those targets were for commercial reasons or that Mourinho didn't want them. Second and most important, it's stated by both 'insiders', all rumours, Levy/Woodward and seemingly everyone else that Levy/Poch point blank refused to sell Alder, in particular to a rival and that Woodward had a conversation about it and was given a price point that made the transfer non viable. IE, they said we don't want to sell him, the only way we would sell him to you right now is if you paid >100mil and Woodward correctly said okay that's the end of that then.

Same with Maguire, Mourinho wanted him, Leicester were contacted and they had no reason to sell nor wanted to and said okay, give us stupendous and stupid money and you can have him.

In what way was a club that never wanted to sell him and put an absurd price tag on him made him a 'very realistic target', in your make believe land of Mourinho could do no wrong and the world was against him.

I'll again point out that Mourinho had a rant only a few weeks back about how it's sooooo much harder for him than Fergie because when Fergie wanted Carrick and Berbatov Spurs sold, but now with all this money in the game when he wanted a Spurs player, Spurs refused. He left out the part where Spurs finished 11th the season before they sold Berbatov, and the season before Carrick was sold they finished 5th but iirc a fair way off and that was a one off stronger season. Right now they didn't sell to Utd because Spurs are a consistent top 4 team right now and they weren't close to one when they sold Berbatov.

So here in lies the point, if Spurs were willing to sell and the only hurdle was Woodward, why was Mourinho bemoaning Spurs being unwilling to sell Utd their players?

Boo hoo, Mourinho can't buy whatever player he wants like he could for Chelsea the first go round, mostly because he was buying from all over Europe.

Lastly, had they bought Maguire and Alder, he'd have made them play worse over the course of a season and into the following years because that is how almost all players went under Mourinho. So what did it matter anyway? Defence or lack of CBs can be a reason why you lose games due to defensive mistakes, it's not at all a reason why a team plays bad football, full stop. THey were rubbish upfront, in midfield and defence and it's not because Woodward wouldn't buy two 100mil CBs to help stop the rot that was the entire rest of the team.

Soldato
celtic follower here but without the blinkers ;)
If we played in the premiership there would be a new top 4 club.
but I've heard that tired old line rolled out so many times from other supporters. the truth is that it's nonsense. Celtic play (excluding Europe) how many actual quality teams each season? most of the SPL (excluding Celtic) would struggle to stay in The Championship, yet manage to beat Celtic on occasion. Too many fans see them turn over Barca, Man U etc in one off cup games and think they are better than they are. truth be told they would struggle damn hard for the first few seasons - that said, if they managed to maintain PL status then, yea, they'd improve and attract better quality of players - but maintaining that PL status would be a big ask initially. the lesser teams in the PL are far far stronger than Celtic and that's just the cold hard truth. i'd love them to be European elites but they are simply nowhere near that status. winning the European cup in 1957 is a long distant memory, a time when football was much much different to what it is now.

Celtic would be a mid table team if not at the bottom.
probably, but as I said above, if they managed to maintain their PL status for a few seasons then they would probably become an 'Everton'

Factually incorrect
sorry but you're so wrong. I, like most Man U fans detested their take over off the club, plunging a pretty well run club 100's of millions into hock was disgusting and should never have been allowed.

that being said, they have without doubt loosened the purse strings in recent years - perhaps due to the sons taking over after the fathers death but regardless, loosen them they have. granted prices have sky rocket since the heady days of SAF but i believe never would Fergie have been allowed to by a player of Lukaku's mediocrity for 75 million under previous clubs owners, never would he have been allowed to buy a Fellaini for 26 odd million. worth asking you, where are the commercial values in those pair? Pogba was one of the best midfielders in the game when they bought him, commercial value may have allowed the board to sanction a higher fee than they wanted but to say he was solely a commercial purchase is frighteningly embarrassing.
we'll likely never know what players were JM's own choices but he was handed plenty of Wonga and all he managed to do was **** it up the wall and alienate the players that he was responsible for.
of course the whole blame doesn't rest purely on his shoulders, the owners do obviously have to take a degree of blame. renewing his contract January(ish) last year was one of the most bonkers decisions especially in light of them turning markedly more cautious with regards his transfer demands only a few months later. the most bonkers decision however was the initial decision to appoint him in the first place. a Chelsea reject with a history of toxicity - shame on them.

Man of Honour
Who was poch when he went to Southampton? A absolute nobody. His record at Southampton wasn't exactly grand either.

He was a bit of a nobody perhaps in part because he never gave interviews in English and it was widely considered a disgrace that Adkins got sacked but actually he did pretty well at Southampton considering two years before he took over they were a League One team. He kept them up (not that amazing in itself) but then in his only full season finished six points above 9th in the league. 8th in the league is basically as good as it gets bearing in mind the big six are basically streets ahead with Everton being the only realistic team you could expect a chance to overhaul, and they finished with an unassailable 72pts that year. Basically he brought in Lovren and Wanyama to shore things up, the season before they let in as many goals as the team bottom of the league, whereas in 2013/14 they let in fewer goals than the second placed team.

Will be interesting to see what comes next for Mourinho, you'd think perhaps taking a break for a while with perhaps a return to Italy in the summer (if the right vacancy comes up - maybe at AC Milan?) where his methods might be more appreciated.

Caporegime
OP
He was a bit of a nobody perhaps in part because he never gave interviews in English and it was widely considered a disgrace that Adkins got sacked but actually he did pretty well at Southampton considering two years before he took over they were a League One team. He kept them up (not that amazing in itself) but then in his only full season finished six points above 9th in the league. 8th in the league is basically as good as it gets bearing in mind the big six are basically streets ahead with Everton being the only realistic team you could expect a chance to overhaul, and they finished with an unassailable 72pts that year. Basically he brought in Lovren and Wanyama to shore things up, the season before they let in as many goals as the team bottom of the league, whereas in 2013/14 they let in fewer goals than the second placed team.

Will be interesting to see what comes next for Mourinho, you'd think perhaps taking a break for a while with perhaps a return to Italy in the summer (if the right vacancy comes up - maybe at AC Milan?) where his methods might be more appreciated.
There was talk that Inter wanted him back but yes Gattusso is on thin ice at AC. Whether the AC fans would want him is another question given his Inter links.

Man of Honour
First off, give a single piece of evidence that any of those targets were for commercial reasons or that Mourinho didn't want them. Second and most important, it's stated by both 'insiders', all rumours, Levy/Woodward and seemingly everyone else that Levy/Poch point blank refused to sell Alder, in particular to a rival and that Woodward had a conversation about it and was given a price point that made the transfer non viable. IE, they said we don't want to sell him, the only way we would sell him to you right now is if you paid >100mil and Woodward correctly said okay that's the end of that then.

Same with Maguire, Mourinho wanted him, Leicester were contacted and they had no reason to sell nor wanted to and said okay, give us stupendous and stupid money and you can have him.

In what way was a club that never wanted to sell him and put an absurd price tag on him made him a 'very realistic target', in your make believe land of Mourinho could do no wrong and the world was against him.

I'll again point out that Mourinho had a rant only a few weeks back about how it's sooooo much harder for him than Fergie because when Fergie wanted Carrick and Berbatov Spurs sold, but now with all this money in the game when he wanted a Spurs player, Spurs refused. He left out the part where Spurs finished 11th the season before they sold Berbatov, and the season before Carrick was sold they finished 5th but iirc a fair way off and that was a one off stronger season. Right now they didn't sell to Utd because Spurs are a consistent top 4 team right now and they weren't close to one when they sold Berbatov.

So here in lies the point, if Spurs were willing to sell and the only hurdle was Woodward, why was Mourinho bemoaning Spurs being unwilling to sell Utd their players?

Boo hoo, Mourinho can't buy whatever player he wants like he could for Chelsea the first go round, mostly because he was buying from all over Europe.

Lastly, had they bought Maguire and Alder, he'd have made them play worse over the course of a season and into the following years because that is how almost all players went under Mourinho. So what did it matter anyway? Defence or lack of CBs can be a reason why you lose games due to defensive mistakes, it's not at all a reason why a team plays bad football, full stop. THey were rubbish upfront, in midfield and defence and it's not because Woodward wouldn't buy two 100mil CBs to help stop the rot that was the entire rest of the team.

Merry Xmas DM

I hope you have a good one and a happy New Year.:)

Man of Honour
Numerous people have switched between Inter and AC Milan in recent years though, we've had Ronaldo, Davids, Seedorf, Vieira, Pirlo, Zlatan, Balotelli etc all playing for both clubs. I don't think his association is that strong that it would rule out such a move, although to be fair I don't know what he may have said to the Italian media in the past.

Caporegime
a certain spurs defender was very realistic and he was wanted by JM but the club wouldn't sanction it

Realistic in what way? Spurs did not want to sell and Levy absolutely hates Man Utd and the feeling is mutual, mainly because they can't just take what they want. Even Mourinho said this himself!

"Can we go to Tottenham and buy their best players? No - because they don't sell or because they are so powerful that they can say no.”

Man of Honour
It was a more tongue in cheek comment but if Solskjaer gets us into top 4 and we have decent cup runs I can see why not. The backroom staff needs a huge change if anything else.
Absolutely, if he gets the results then why not? It's an unknown, yet exciting time. New manager has a 6 month free reign which is unheard of at top clubs. The season is pretty much over anyone and no one would have expected them to be thinking about the top four prior to JM's sacking. So Solskjaer can't really do wrong unless they end up having a run of torrid results which I can't see happening.

Associate
Not really a 'free reign', given he has been told that he cannot buy in January - he can only loan players.
Are they saving the funds to make it available for the full-time replacement at the end of the season.....or is there some truth in the rumours (I hope the latter)

Associate
It has been rumoured in a few tabloids already, but I have heard it from somebody who works at the Club.
I was talking to the same guy at the Huddersfield game on Boxing Day and he told me the same again.

Time will tell I suppose, mad times with a lot of untruths flying around.
Hard to decide what is genuine and what isn't to be honest.

Caporegime
It has been rumoured in a few tabloids already, but I have heard it from somebody who works at the Club.
I was talking to the same guy at the Huddersfield game on Boxing Day and he told me the same again.

Time will tell I suppose, mad times with a lot of untruths flying around.
Hard to decide what is genuine and what isn't to be honest.

If our team was fit who do we really need? You could argue a center back but Bailly was a rock but for some reason he has slept with someone's mother as he doesn't get a look in. Rojo is always fit for Argentina yet hasn't really played since he was injured from 2017 Europa League! Our top half is excellent and our midfield isn't that bad with options available.

Associate
x2 central defenders for me.
Jones / Smalling / Rojo = all not good enough and are a liability most of the time, ask yourself this - would any of them get into the defence of any of the top 6 sides? (top 10 even)
Bailly is the best central defender we have, but he seems to struggle with injury/fitness, which is a concern.

Don
This thread is for discussing the sacking of Mourinho, the temp appointment of Solskjaer and any chat around a permanent replacement. General chit chat about your squad can go in the Utd thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom