Moved from Android to iPhone 11 - Think I made a big mistake?

Soldato
OP mate, I think you need to have your phone looked at. The OS in no way should be stuttering about and the fact that you’re repeatedly tapping on on screen buttons is highly odd - I use most of the same apps you do, though I rely on G.Photos and switched off iCloud sync. I really use G.Photos on my IPad Pro to view and edit photos.

Battery life on my 2nd hand Xs blows away my S8+ by an hour or two (5-6hrs mostly). Last night I went to Winter Wonderland in Hyde park armed with a battery pack...I never used it because I returned home with 40% left.

Soldato
That, and when it’s all said and done, people just want a phone to switch on, have the main social apps to use with the most minimal fuss.
When you can buy something like a Motorola G7 Power new for about £130 and have all the main social apps, and a decent camera, and with minimal fuss then why would most people spend so much more? I was shocked how good that phone was when I bought one for my wife when she broke her old phone a couple of weeks ago.

Smartphones are like white goods now, not many people really care if it's a Beko dishwasher vs. a Miele if it does the same job.

Associate
When you can buy something like a Motorola G7 Power new for about £130 and have all the main social apps, and a decent camera, and with minimal fuss then why would most people spend so much more? I was shocked how good that phone was when I bought one for my wife when she broke her old phone a couple of weeks ago.

Smartphones are like white goods now, not many people really care if it's a Beko dishwasher vs. a Miele if it does the same job.

I totally agree, but an iPhone is still an iPhone-it will always have that social status aspect to it. Plus everyone will get one on contract and not bad an eyelid.

Soldato
When you can buy something like a Motorola G7 Power new for about £130 and have all the main social apps, and a decent camera, and with minimal fuss then why would most people spend so much more?.

This is the tired old "my Fiesta gets me to work as well as a Ferrari argument". People spend money differently and have different priorities. To you an expensive phone is a waste of money, but to others it isn't.

Soldato
This is the tired old "my Fiesta gets me to work as well as a Ferrari argument". People spend money differently and have different priorities. To you an expensive phone is a waste of money, but to others it isn't.
I have an expensive phone! My response was to a post that said "people just want a phone to switch on, have the main social apps to use".

Also, I wouldn't call the iPhone a Ferrari in that example. Ferraris are not easy maintenance and not mainstream, an iPhone is probably more like a BMW Z4. Also, nobody is impressed by a phone these days, like I say they are just white goods.

Soldato
Also, nobody is impressed by a phone these days, like I say they are just white goods.

That's not my experience. In recent years I've had people impressed by my camera (various Pixel's) and screen (OnePlus 7 Pro) on more than one occasion. Most times they have no idea what phone it actually is, but are impressed by it having something... erm... impressive.

Associate
That's not my experience. In recent years I've had people impressed by my camera (various Pixel's) and screen (OnePlus 7 Pro) on more than one occasion. Most times they have no idea what phone it actually is, but are impressed by it having something... erm... impressive.

I can echo this. For anyone who has an interest in tech, many people aren't impressed by flagship phones anymore. However, when I got my S10, a lot of my family and friends took immediate interest when I pulled it out of my pocket. Quite a lot of them are on older generation iPhones, so by comparison, the screen especially is very eye-catching for them.

I got a lot of "what phone is that?", "The screen looks amazing", and "does it cost more than an iPhone?", or words to that effect.

Of course that's a small sample size and just my experience, but I feel like if you don't get a new phone for a couple generations, things move fast enough that you can still be impressed by a phone. I think screens especially are getting better very quickly right now, getting brighter, more colourful, and smoother with 90+ Hz.

Associate
Yep, I remember my dad getting a Note 2 back in the day and thinking that was crazy. How things have changed.

It’s funny that a lot of the Android fans over the years are now starting to migrate over to Apple and are finding themselves enjoying the ecosystem after years of saying that they never would. Gotta love old Timmy Cook.

I’ve been entrenched in the Apple ecosystem for the same amount of time yet I’m preparing myself for a move back over to Android (more specifically the Pixel 5) next year. Really been liking what’s been going on on the Android/Google front so can’t wait.

to be fair it very much works both ways, but any way, for years there's been good reasons not to migrate over.

I am sure you would agree Ios has improved over the last say 5 years? you see that's it's changed and got better, so there may be reasons people would migrate over when having said previously they wouldn't.

I remember years ago people would ask me which should they get iphone or android. I'd say to them, do you like to listen to music while still using your phone to do something else? If they said yes, then i'd say go android. Remember when Iphone coulnd't do this simple task, given it was always a "smart" phone?

Then eventually I would say all are pretty good these days, all have good screens, multi touch, mobile payments, good cameras.

Things change and improve. I still wouldn't ever see myself getting an iphone, but maybe in 3/4 years it could happen if there was some massive change to how ios runs.

I don't think it's that funny to see fans of one eco system migrate to another years later.

Soldato
The thing stopping me ever considering iOS again is the walled garden. If they opened up to make connectivity to a Windows machine painless then I'd consider it, because you won't catch me dead on a Mac or MacBook.

Associate
The thing stopping me ever considering iOS again is the walled garden. If they opened up to make connectivity to a Windows machine painless then I'd consider it, because you won't catch me dead on a Mac or MacBook.
Just out of interest what do you want to with it connected to a PC? Just as I have a iphone and PC and the only time I ever connect it these days is to confirm my unlock from o2. A few years ago I could understand when you had to set it up with iTunes.

Caporegime
Just out of interest what do you want to with it connected to a PC? Just as I have a iphone and PC and the only time I ever connect it these days is to confirm my unlock from o2. A few years ago I could understand when you had to set it up with iTunes.

Be great to see iMessage/Facetime and continuity working outside the Mac ecosystem, but I can't see it happening.

Soldato
OP
Microsoft and amazon have helped the transition to iOS for me. The office stuff and Alexa have filled the gaps.

The native stuff will have to be accessed from just the iPhone, but might consider an iPad for Christmas.

I love my matte black surface laptop 3 too much to consider going all in.

Soldato
Also, nobody is impressed by a phone these days, like I say they are just white goods.
Very true. A few years ago maybe people cared when phones were still exciting and "new" but these days most phones are very capable of taking decent snaps and are just considered the norm.

Associate
I love all technology and trying different things. I’m actually starting to enjoy the ecosystem even though not everything is perfect

We all love technology, but that's a huge expense just to try another OS, I have to use iOS in work occasionally and I hate it; unless I'm being paid I wouldn't touch it.

As for the hardware itself, it's just another phone.

Soldato
Apple music looks great and fully supports the apple watch, but lacks content for me compared to spotify. It also doesn't play nice with google home, no cast support (to be expected). You have to set the home to bluetooth, but typical google bluetooth is buggy. Apple music web is in beta and a bit meh. Deciding if I should stick with Spotify, but the spotify apple watch app is supposed to be utter crap.

Yes, the Spotify app is junk (assuming you have the cellular watch, otherwise it's not too bad.

Associate
Lol, this thread is nuts. I’ve been using Apple Music for years and have recently starting using Spotify (free until my AM sub expires) and it’s been a revelation. Music and Podcasts in one place-love it.

Back
Top Bottom