Moved from Android to iPhone 11 - Think I made a big mistake?

Soldato
OP
It’s there on the iPad too! Do you use the smart keyboard? I do so that’s why I rarely see them. Yes you can hide them by scrolling across but somehow they always seem to make their way back on

I probably should have clarified, the emoji part of the keyboard.

Read your issues in the apple section. I find it hilarious :D

Soldato
Maybe I have a bit of OCD, but unlike the oneplus icons where when you set them to round they add horrible extra white padding the iphones are all square. Yes, they are always going to be square. You can't change that, and you know something....I actually quite like that you can't. It's an OCD thing. Using an icon pack an android always had some missing icons, so you had 90% round ones, and 10% square.

Adaptive icons were introduced back in Oreo to allow manufacturers to choose a default icon style (https://developer.android.com/guide/practices/ui_guidelines/icon_design_adaptive). Devs had to do a little work to update their app icons to support this feature and then the whole padding thing would go away. But two years on a lot haven't, examples installed on my phone are Burger King, Krispy Kreme, OpenVPN etc. I've contacted them a few times about it but they don't seem to care. It's a bit alarming because the icon is the first thing you see before launching the app and if it looks like **** then you know the app itself won't be very good either.

Soldato
Ha ha, so you made your Android like iOS and then can't see the difference? :) Personally I can't stand a homescreen just covered in icons... be it Android or iOS.

What I mean is that after arranging my home screen as I want it, where every app is one single press away, the home screen looks like an ios screen. I've got an additional empty home screen and a lock screen to display minimalism. Otherwise I want one press to get into my apps.

So in the end, the most practical way of using a phone is with a screen covered in icons. Who'd have thought it :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I moved to the Apple ecosystem maybe 2 years ago from being a die hard Android guy. From the HTC Hero, upgrading an average of twice a year, to a Samsung S8+, then changed to a iPhone X when it was brand new. I had the iPhone X for 2 years and just upgraded to a iPhone 11 Pro, I haven't looked back. At the time I added a Macbook Pro and an iPad, which I just upgraded to an iPad Pro.

I ported the Google eco system onto the iPhone (Googles Maps, Gmail, Google Keyboard, Google Home, Google News, Google Authenticator, Google Calendar, Google Drive, Google Hangouts, Google Duo, Google Chrome). The apps are all available in the app store, my house has approx. 8 google homes, 5 chromecasts, 4 nest cameras, nest door lock and nest doorbell. It all works and plays very well together in a single cohesive eco system.

Associate
From the HTC Hero, upgrading an average of twice a year...

Same here, loved that Hero with its little nubbin trackball!

My first iPhone was an 8 Plus last year and also haven't looked back; all Google products integrated seamlessly. The phone is a beast and 18 months on still runs smooth, fast and with awesome battery life. No stuttering, lag, random severe battery drain, all of which plagued every iteration of Android phone I had over the years. I can leave the phone turned on overnight and wake up to nearly the same battery percentage as when I left it. Not to mention timely updates for a long time to come.

For the first time since that first Android phone I have no desire to upgrade this phone.

Soldato
Think I might try the iPhone 8 I have lying about to see how I like it compared to my pixel 2, I keep getting the urge but usually when I try iPhones I hate them within hours haha

Soldato
Think I might try the iPhone 8 I have lying about to see how I like it compared to my pixel 2, I keep getting the urge but usually when I try iPhones I hate them within hours haha
the key is sticking with it. the hate is from it being different to what you're used to.

Associate
the key is sticking with it. the hate is from it being different to what you're used to.

I stuck with one for a month and a half. I couldn't wait to go back to Android. It's not that I wasn't used to it in the end, I just didn't get on with it full stop. I found the experience oddly suffocating.

Soldato
I suspect I'll give it a month or so. It's due to go to a family member as an upgrade so just want to see if it works nicely with my reliance on google services

my last experience was good, in fact i switched to using the full google services while i was an iphone user! doesnt work any better on my pixel than it did on my iphone (in my experience)

I stuck with one for a month and a half. I couldn't wait to go back to Android. It's not that I wasn't used to it in the end, I just didn't get on with it full stop. I found the experience oddly suffocating.

each to their own. im completely on the fence and not tied to either specifically. this is also my current downfall as it makes my decision a lot harder when my sim only contract ends next month.

1. stick with my pixel 2 xl and let my sim only contract roll over to a 1 month jobby. (easiest option)

2. get an iphone 11 and new tarrif. (2nd Easiest option as the iphone 11 is the only one id get)

3. get a new android phone and new tarrif. the hardest one of them all. my current favourite phone is the Mi9T seconldy is one of the oneplus 7T variants. but neither are available on EE. i'd go with the Pixel 4 but battery life is putting me off.

Associate
each to their own. im completely on the fence and not tied to either specifically. this is also my current downfall as it makes my decision a lot harder when my sim only contract ends next month.

1. stick with my pixel 2 xl and let my sim only contract roll over to a 1 month jobby. (easiest option)

2. get an iphone 11 and new tarrif. (2nd Easiest option as the iphone 11 is the only one id get)

3. get a new android phone and new tarrif. the hardest one of them all. my current favourite phone is the Mi9T seconldy is one of the oneplus 7T variants. but neither are available on EE. i'd go with the Pixel 4 but battery life is putting me off.

I went with option 1 for myself. Nothing currently seemed a big enough upgrade for the money spent. I will wait until there's something worth buying.

I also have nothing particularly against Apple but in the end its just personal preference, it wasn't for me.

I must admit though I still think Google ecosystem stuff works a bit better on an Android than on Apple. Not much in it, but the difference is there, but that wasn't really the reason I wanted to go back, I just prefer to have a more open experience (which is why I'm tentatively thinking of swapping my iPad for a windows laptop but there are disadvantages to doing that too - mainly price!).

Soldato
I went with option 1 for myself. Nothing currently seemed a big enough upgrade for the money spent. I will wait until there's something worth buying.

I also have nothing particularly against Apple but in the end its just personal preference, it wasn't for me.

I must admit though I still think Google ecosystem stuff works a bit better on an Android than on Apple. Not much in it, but the difference is there, but that wasn't really the reason I wanted to go back, I just prefer to have a more open experience (which is why I'm tentatively thinking of swapping my iPad for a windows laptop but there are disadvantages to doing that too - mainly price!).

that seems to be the most sensible option to be fair. i just feel like ive had it for so long that something nice and shiney might be nice.

in the same boat with my ipad, albeit i have a very old. ipad mini (the first one) firstly i cannot update it any more so not all apps will install as they need a newer OS. 2ndly one website i visit to watch sport events will not run on any browser ive tried or can install. thinking of picking up an android tablet though.

Associate
that seems to be the most sensible option to be fair. i just feel like ive had it for so long that something nice and shiney might be nice.

in the same boat with my ipad, albeit i have a very old. ipad mini (the first one) firstly i cannot update it any more so not all apps will install as they need a newer OS. 2ndly one website i visit to watch sport events will not run on any browser ive tried or can install. thinking of picking up an android tablet though.

Oh, believe you me, I feel you on that one! I've been having serious tech withdrawal, and last week bought myself some Cambridge Melomania true wireless buds to try and alleviate that, plus I wanted a bit higher audio quality to use every day at work, sadly I took them back today, as they were defective (seemingly like most things I buy nowadays), but also the sound quality wasn't any better than my sub £20 BT headphones I was using... but I digress.

As for the iPad, its not that mine is out of date (its a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9) but I'm just kind of going off it. It's still restrictive in that classic Apple way, but since iPad OS hit, its noticeably less stable and reliable than it was. Not terrible but I seem to face some kind of glitch at least once a night now. If I'm going to suffer that I may as well go back to Windows 10 and not be restricted!

Back
Top Bottom