Moved from Android to iPhone 11 - Think I made a big mistake?

Associate
It’s funny that a lot of the Android fans over the years are now starting to migrate over to Apple and are finding themselves enjoying the ecosystem after years of saying that they never would. Gotta love old Timmy Cook.

I’ve been entrenched in the Apple ecosystem for the same amount of time yet I’m preparing myself for a move back over to Android (more specifically the Pixel 5) next year. Really been liking what’s been going on on the Android/Google front so can’t wait.

Associate
I think it works both ways. People who spend a long time in either ecosystem get used to what they have and don't realise the benefits of the other.

I loved my switch to Apple when the 6S launched, and now I'm back to Android for the S10, and it was a nice change both times for different reasons.

Man of Honour
It's all down to circumstance and the type of user you are though. For myself as a power user on both desktop and mobile, I like to have ultimate control over every aspect of my devices. I like the prospect of tweaking/customising and installing alternative launchers which have swathes of settings to adjust and tailor to /me/ if that makes sense. I'm not alone in this regard either as evidenced by the countless communities online dedicated to exactly that. So for people like me, Apple devices will never find a full time home in our daily drivers. I do use them however for business, just not at a personal level.

Associate
I think it works both ways. People who spend a long time in either ecosystem get used to what they have and don't realise the benefits of the other.

I loved my switch to Apple when the 6S launched, and now I'm back to Android for the S10, and it was a nice change both times for different reasons.

I think there has always been more resistance from the Android side to move over to Apple/iOS due to the “walled garden”, yet many who have moved over now realise that it is actually quite good.

Associate
Interesting thread OP, you sum up the differences well, as do a lot of other posters on this thread, so I won’t repeat the same points. I borrowed an XR for over a month while my 2XL was being sorted, and while I admired how good an all round package it was, I couldn’t wait to go back. The lack of home screen customisation, the crappy keyboard, safari, the fact it’s restrictive (no vanced, can’t connect to car ECU, can’t sideload without JB, can’t replace default apps etc), and even the UI in the end which I had always previously felt was the best turned me off eventually. In the end, I started noticing all the things I couldn’t do iOS that I could do in Android, even if I didn’t do it all the time, at least I have options.

It did of course have lots of plus points. The battery life, setup, the backup and restore, the whole ecosystem thing, FaceID was wonderful. I get it, I really do (I even own a 12.9 iPad), but it just felt kinda boring and restrictive. If I was all in with Apple I would probably deal with it, but I’m more platform agnostic these days, just pick the best tool for the job and for me the iPhone wasn’t it. Plus I really miss the Marvellous Marble wallpaper, shallow yes, and no the crappy earth wallpaper on iOS isn’t the same by a long shot :D

See how you get on with it, you’ll either love it or want to give it back ASAP!

Soldato
Interesting thread indeed. Numerous people have mentioned their love for apples “ecosystem” - can anyone elaborate on exactly what they mean here?

Associate
Interesting thread indeed. Numerous people have mentioned their love for apples “ecosystem” - can anyone elaborate on exactly what they mean here?

I think for me personally, it boils down to the simplicity of how everything co-exists with one another. That, and when it’s all said and done, people just want a phone to switch on, have the main social apps to use with the most minimal fuss. And to many, that is the iPhone.

But I’m sure many could argue that they feel the same about Android. So maybe it is just a myth generated by Apple and the media...

Associate
For me as iPhone, iPad and recently watch owner I can get my texts on any of them and reply as if from my phone. Apps work between the iPad and iPhone so as they say 'just work'. I use apple music as I got the trial when it first released and just carried it on. As I have two children I can let them use the apps I have 'own' through the family sharing, which I know you can do on android.

I could switch but would lose iMessage and would lose that integration with the rest of my family without replacing all of their devices.

Soldato
Interesting thread, thanks.

I could switch but would lose iMessage and would lose that integration with the rest of my family without replacing all of their devices.

There was a video about a year ago of lots of tech YouTubers talked about what they use as their daily. It was fairly evenly split between Android and iOS, but interestingly about half of the iOS users said they would switch but couldn't because of iMessages...

I think it was this video -

I feel like Google isn't so bothered if you're on Android or iOS, as long as you're using their services. Apple want to try and lock you in. Surely they could produce iMessages on Android, but they know it's actually a reason people buy iPhones, so why would they!

I've never used an iPhone as a daily (I have an iPad for work and a MacBook Pro for coding and honestly don't really get what the fuss is about) and have been tempted recently to get an iPhone to try and return within the 14 day period.

Associate
Interesting thread, thanks.

There was a video about a year ago of lots of tech YouTubers talked about what they use as their daily. It was fairly evenly split between Android and iOS, but interestingly about half of the iOS users said they would switch but couldn't because of iMessages...

I think it was this video -

I feel like Google isn't so bothered if you're on Android or iOS, as long as you're using their services. Apple want to try and lock you in. Surely they could produce iMessages on Android, but they know it's actually a reason people buy iPhones, so why would they!

I've never used an iPhone as a daily (I have an iPad for work and a MacBook Pro for coding and honestly don't really get what the fuss is about) and have been tempted recently to get an iPhone to try and return within the 14 day period.
To be fair WhatsApp could replace iMessage, it is what I use for my non iPhone friends but it’s not the same.

Soldato
To be fair WhatsApp could replace iMessage, it is what I use for my non iPhone friends but it’s not the same.

Facebook own WhatsApp and they're bringing adverts. Then eventually all the other negatives that come with using a product owned by a data hungry profit driven company.

Associate
iMessage is such a weird thing in the U.K. My side of the family for example use it exclusively, yet literally no-one else I know who has an iPhone uses it. WhatsApp rules the roost purely for it’s cross platform capabilities.

And given that I do predominantly use Google services and most recently their smart home devices, makes a move back to Android all the more appealing.

Associate
Just replying to say thanks for making this thread. I'd been sat on the fence over iPhone/Samsung Android for a while now , weighing up the various pro's and cons, but this has made my mind up to stick with android.

Soldato
I think there's a problem with your phone if it's stuttery and not registering keypresses. I use an iPhone 6 on a regular basis with no issues whatsoever.

Soldato
The iPhone XS is the longest I’ve owned a phone in a while - about 1 year.

My main gripes with it are battery life and the keyboard.

The iOS keyboard has a habit of correcting words that are typed perfectly fine, because it thinks you’re trying to type something else. I’ve tried other keyboards but they don’t work 100% of the time; I’ll get instances where they don’t show up or general bugs/glitches.

I’m currently at uni, and so I don’t use my phone that often. But on Friday I was in London for an Xmas party with my boss from my last company. I used it for music on the train, and that’s about it, yet by 7pm, I was on 18%. Bluetooth off, WiFi off, power saving from 60%. Cannot figure out why - and this is a frequent occurrence for me. While at university, I have about an hour to 2 hours of screen on time a day, yet I still get down to 20% at the end of my day.

Everything else about the phone is good enough. Less annoyances than anything else.

If the camera on a OnePlus was as good as a pixel, I’d switch straight away. Android is my preferable OS, but there aren’t any decent phones (for me) that have a clean OS. I was using an S10 as my work phone, and while it’s a big improvement over the S8, it still sucks. Stutters and general sluggishness that remind me of a <£200 device.

I’ve gotten over the headphone jack disappearing - I’ve accepted it’s never coming back :p

Soldato
What's the battery health percentage on your XS ? I got 5-6 hours SoT on mine all the time, usually at the higher end of the two.

Back
Top Bottom