MP Jo Cox murdered in West Yorkshire [Thread title edited]

Only wanting to associate oneself with those of an identical ideology can make one very insular. Young people have to accept there are many who silently hold different opinions, and even vote privately to empower them without recourse to discussion on a public forum ;)

You don't know what your acquaintances are thinking, surely they aren't quite at the stage where their EVERY thought is publicly posted on some tacky social media site for scrutiny by the great unwashed? ;)

Some comments are a little strong, but that's just yet another facet of democracy at work, and freedom of speech and opinion.

I'll stick with my murder is bad, racism is bad, stealing is bad, working for what you have is good ideology acquaintances

I'll stick with my murder is bad, racism is bad, stealing is bad, working for what you have is good ideology acquaintances

Murder is bad because it hurts people who do not deserve it

Racism is bad because it hurts people who do not warrant the behaviour

Working for what you have is good because it gives worth to what you earn and does not put burden of of your wealth on other people

Good ideologies to have because there is reasoning why you follow them. Some people follow ideologies for the sake of them.

Following things like 'violence is bad because violence' will come back and bite you on the ass if if you ever need to use it to defend yourself or from more violence from happening ie. inter veining before a situation escalates.

Some of the most memorably happy, humorous, enlightening and fulfilling conversations I ever had were with a bloke who I considered totally normal and unexceptional in every way save for his warmth, breadth of education and self effacement. Only after his death did I find out he was a secret multi millionaire, ex gangster, murderer and torturer. One never really knows!

Some of the most memorably happy, humorous, enlightening and fulfilling conversations I ever had were with a bloke who I considered totally normal and unexceptional in every way save for his warmth, breadth of education and self effacement. Only after his death did I find out he was a secret multi millionaire, ex gangster, murderer and torturer. One never really knows!

It seems you would have known if you'd got on the wrong side of him

It seems you would have known if you'd got on the wrong side of him

Apparently after he got beyond his early thirties he had some sort of "revelation" and became a changed man, and his agreement with his close family was for him to move, change name and for his past to never be mentioned. Remarkably it seemingly never was and the outsiders with whom he made new friends were unaware of his highly colourful past, and good to his word he became a model citizen. In hindsight he did have an aura of, well, what shall I call it, "power" about him, which was endearing at the time.... :) His past was never mentioned even at his funeral, it was only when the will was read and his very surprising wealth became common knowledge that the rumours, later becoming facts, emerged.

Apparently the Jo Cox story was relegated to page 30 in the Daily Mail. Wonder why that was? Might have something to do with the fact they've spent the last decade radicalising people into right-wing killers.

Apparently the Jo Cox story was relegated to page 30 in the Daily Mail. Wonder why that was? Might have something to do with the fact they've spent the last decade radicalising people into right-wing killers.

I read an article that only two papers did not carry the news on its front page. The other being the FT

There is absolutely no justification for a national paper to make it headline news, it was one of umpteen tragic murders done every year, only her status as an MP caused more interest than any other murder by Hell's Angels, terrorists, random nutters or genuinely disgruntled folk pushed over the edge by matrimonial or financial issues. The main thing that gave the story immediate traction was the Left instantly, and with zero evidence, jumping on the blame it on Brexit wagon.

Vaz was a more than slightly more prominent figure in the government though, and one not at all adverse to making moral judgements on the general populace. The chance to kick him was one many editors probably relished. Quite why some papers chose to cite the Cox article on pages other than the front one is really only something that could be answered by the paper's editor, surely? Probably driven by what is deemed currently topical and likely to appeal most to its reader base?

Vaz was a more than slightly more prominent figure in the government though, and one not at all adverse to making moral judgements on the general populace. The chance to kick him was one many editors probably relished. Quite why some papers chose to cite the Cox article on pages other than the front one is really only something that could be answered by the paper's editor, surely? Probably driven by what is deemed currently topical and likely to appeal most to its reader base?

What a load of rubbish. A right wing nutjob murders a serving MP - of course it should make the front page. If a muslim killed a Tory back bencher you damn well know it would have been their front page lead - blaming immigration etc. Given your posting history you probably would have made a thread about it.

Forget the media - even our politicians are doing nothing about it:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politic...rrorist-murdered-jo-cox-so-when-cobra-meeting

ednesday, Thomas Mair was convicted of the murder of Jo Cox, an act which the Crown Prosecution Service has categorised as terrorism. Section 3 of the Terrorism Act 2000 states that the an act may still be considered an act of terror even if it was not designed to influence the government or the public, as long as a firearm or explosives are involved and the act was politically, ideologically, religiously, or racially motivated. Nair’s murder of Jo Cox falls neatly under this definition. So does the murder of Lee Rigby in 2013.

And yet, the difference in the reaction to these very similar murders is astounding. After Lee Rigby was killed, the media was filled with alarmist headlines about the dangers of Islamic extremism. There was no hesitation to label Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale, Rigby’s murderers, as terrorists or the murder as a terrorist attack. After Lee Rigby’s murder, even before Adebolajo and Adebowale’s trial, the then Prime Minister, David Cameron, chaired an emergency Cobra meeting and the government announced a new taskforce to fight Islamic extremism. However, when it came to Mair, there was a sudden concern regarding contempt of court, and even now there is a real hesitancy to actually label him as a terrorist. Has Theresa May chaired a Cobra meeting? Has she announced a taskforce to combat far-right extremism? No.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politic...rrorist-murdered-jo-cox-so-when-cobra-meeting

One has to accept national newspaper editors know the concerns of their readerships and in this sad case they deemed it less newsworthy than whatever they did headline. Similarly politicians presumably have an agenda based on immediate importance and they too must feel this murder merits less immediate attention and time than whatever they have been pontificating about today. I doubt they are influenced by any extreme Right wing group's agenda to place the story on their paper's inner pages.

Today's hoohah, from what little I have seen of the television or paper media, seems to be the historical abuse of young football players, who knows what the flavour of the day will be tomorrow....? The unabated popularity of model drones and their dangers? The weather? Some new allegation of misconduct by an MP or celebrity?

These people sell a lot of papers, and they must know what sells them, and draws people's eyes to the news stands. To the seeming indignation of some here it wasn't the murder of Mrs. Cox that they felt would make the purchase of their paper compelling.

On the other hand the murder of a serving member of the British military by a Muslim terrorist, at a time of unprecedented security against such atrocities, with the ongoing risk of similar killings making the news all the time, probably seemed of great significance, more so than the risk of copy cat killings of a relatively unknown MP by aged collectors of Nazi history and memorabilia, and one their beloved Cobra meetings was deemed in someone's best interest.

Last edited:
More like the politicians have realised the far-right are many in number here in the UK and want to pander to them by not upsetting the majority.

Its disgusting if you ask me, shows the UK media and politicians hypocrisy clearly. Especially when you have 25,000 individuals tweeting and celebrating her death:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ollowed-by-50000-tweets-celebrating-her-death

Terrorist sympathisers - but hey, not brown enough for us to bother about I guess. Doesn't play into the narrative pushed by the media and politicians justifying our wars abroad does it.

More like the politicians have realised the far-right are many in number here in the UK and want to pander to them by not upsetting the majority.

Its disgusting if you ask me, shows the UK media and politicians hypocrisy clearly. Especially when you have 25,000 individuals tweeting and celebrating her death:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ollowed-by-50000-tweets-celebrating-her-death

Terrorist sympathisers - but hey, not brown enough for us to bother about I guess. Doesn't play into the narrative pushed by the media and politicians justifying our wars abroad does it.

What a **** article, exactly what i expect from the Guardian though.

Firstly, lumping islamists and white nationalists together when they are trying to blame it all on the latter is dumb. Secondly, the fact that "academics" trawled through 50k tweets and compared for both the murderer and MP 5 words with NO differentiation in the article...

Its just another Statist reporter with no journalistic integrity.

Attention at the BBC has moved on to the death of the Cuban leader Fidel Castro, as I said a few posts above, it's old news even today. The monstrously over the top outpourings for the death of Mandela are now long forgotten, in 10 years most school kids won't even know who he was.

It's a modern day trend, for the media to go overboard with outpourings of faux rage and grief, that get people all agog, over personalities who perhaps do not, in the grand scheme of things, really matter to the man in the street. This is not to belittle the foul nature of the crime, but agendas love to link it to their particular cause, however tenuous or even farcical.

A sudden rash of Tweeting and the chance for some unheard of academics to spout their partisan opinions in a bilious report, and justify their existence, and all goes silent again.

The governments prevent strategy is aimed at all forms of extremism.

Here is a link with some numbers for you:

https://fullfact.org/crime/far-right-extremism-growing-problem/

Of the 4,100 people referred to Channel the break down is as follows:

Islamist: 2,800
Far right: 560
Other: 560

The process for reporting is exactly the same, the triggers for reporting are exactly the same. Channel is run locally and the amount of emphasis they put on the far right will depend on the local area.

Certain professions have a legal obligation to report those at risk of extremism.

Back
Top Bottom