• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition - How To Unlock The Power ***

Soldato
after quick googling, Ive found out that there is a fan switch on the card. I do hope mine is set to performance and once switched to silent there will be big difference...
if not, will have to try fan on 40% up to 70degrees...

Soldato
This is true, there is a switch. I've not tampered with mine but let me know how you get on.

Not sure what a maximum safe temp is, but I don't think I've seen mine go above 60celcius.

I think the twin frozr is supposed to be one of the coolest 6950's, if not the coolest 6950 on the market. And Ati's almost always run cooler than Nvidia's anyway so it's probably as cool as you're going to get.

Soldato
This is true, there is a switch. I've not tampered with mine but let me know how you get on.

Not sure what a maximum safe temp is, but I don't think I've seen mine go above 60celcius.

I think the twin frozr is supposed to be one of the coolest 6950's, if not the coolest 6950 on the market. And Ati's almost always run cooler than Nvidia's anyway so it's probably as cool as you're going to get.

Do you know where this switch is located? Do I have to take the card out to switch it ?

Maybe it is the coolest 6950 but not sure if the most quiet on the market when fan kicks in ;)
It is louder then fan on my tuniq 120 extreme on full revs...

Associate
Hi!

Thanks gcaster for the info on how to flash a MSI 6950 TF III PE/OC, I have the exakt same card so I thought I would give flashing it a go today according to what you wrote on page 3.

But I´m completely stuck now, either I don´t understand how to do it or I have another sort of problem? I can´t type the back slash \ (or what ever it´s called, I´m not nativly english speaker) once in dos environment? Could pherhaps any friendly soul here please tell me what I´m doing wrong? Would appriciate that a lot.

Thanks..

Soldato
after switching to silent from performance, it seems that even on full blast fans dont make as much noise...have changed fan profile in afterburner as well and fans will go above 50% at around 65-70 degrees...need to check it in GPU heavy game now

Associate
Sorry guys, please disregard from my last post! All I had to do instead of a backslash was to leave a space. Couldn´t it pherhaps also be done just by putting atiflash & bios in root instead of ATI389 folder?

Either way I got the flash done by reading the guide + from what gcaster explained (thanks gcaster) on page 3, frequenses do indeed go higher now but no luck with the shader unlock though... :(

Have any of you gotten those games ScottiB so generously offered?
That would be a big + for my view of MSI as a company no doubt, they already make great cards imo.

Associate
I've got 2 TFIII's in crossfire and I had some problems with temperature when I first installed them due to only one slots worth of space between them. The top card was getting silly hot (80+ deg) and causing the screen to go black in games after about an hours play.

Adding side case fans helped but only a little. What really sorted it for me was jury rigging an 80mm fan directly onto the cards to blow straight into the space in between them. Temps are now at 60 deg under load whilst OC'd to 900/1325. Next step is to try the unlock bios, I'm not too fussed about the extra shaders just as long as it gets rid of the OC cap.

/update Both cards flashed ok. OC limits removed but no extra shaders

Last edited:
Soldato
Super batman thread revival stuff. Etc etc etc.

Course the guide I found had a link to the special MSI Twin Frozr III 6950 to 6970 BIOS....via MegaUpload. Anyone still got a copy they can send via my trust please??

Associate
Custom fan profiles work a treat. I was fedup of the noise issues so I made this profile for mine (x2) with Afterburner:

fanprofile.jpg

Can barely hear them when playing BF3, and they are almost silent when idle. Temperatures don't go above 80 degrees, and they are rock solid as well as overclocked to 900Mhz.

Much better than the apocalyptic level they were before.

Soldato
[ZiiP]carrot;21088834 said:
Would rather wait for Helios to sort the file out, I trust him more than that website :D

Overclock.net is untrustworthy?

It's only been running for years and is one of the most trusted forums out there!!

Ok

Then heres a link with the orignal MSI instructions that were later pullled!!

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_froz_iii_power_edition_unlocking,1.html

Link to modified BIOS

Which is the one I used!

http://www.mediafire.com/?8nkb5qb88eho5no

Last edited:
Soldato
I just bought one of these cards (MSI 6950 2gb TF3 PE) new last week, does this still work?

Have you done bios flashes to graphic cards before? If not, consider this. I know at least two people on this forum alone have attempted to flash a 6950, after being told it was perfectly safe, and bricked their cards.

Chances are, they made a mistake somewhere, but personally I wouldn't risk it.

Back
Top Bottom