• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition - How To Unlock The Power ***

ok so iv tried

11.5 cap 4 with and without CCC
different slot
lowering the core speed / upping the voltage to 1.164 on stock

going to try

change dx setting in BC2 from auto to 11

other games have been stable since i changed a few things apart from bc2 still

Just go to your documents folder and there will be a folder called 'bfbc2' go into a file called 'settings' and change 'dx version' to 11, rather than auto. You can also turn bloom off (by entering 'false') to help if this does not work. But I find the game doesn't look as nice with bloom off.

Just go to your documents folder and there will be a folder called 'bfbc2' go into a file called 'settings' and change 'dx version' to 11, rather than auto. You can also turn bloom off (by entering 'false') to help if this does not work. But I find the game doesn't look as nice with bloom off.

What brightness/contrast settings are recommended for a calibrated display, gamma 2.2?

GPU-Z reports wrong voltage, use Afterburner beta 3 and set Low Leakage in settings.

I AM using beta 3, I have the low leakage checked and have all tripple voltage sliders enabled, but moving them changes nothing- Kombustor and Furmark show it in the tests and it is always 1.15,... I'll try later with the regular version AB...still- unlocked shaders and 900 core on stock voltage is way more than what I need, now it's all up to drivers and game patches
The same when I switch to the other "stock" BIOS

Last edited:
Not sure what settings with colour and brightness are best tbh, but I have the same monitor as you and it all seems fine, although I did find it a little saturated at first on desert levels. I guess the brightness could be turned down a little for this.

Thought I would also mention that it looks as though crossfire does not agree with bloom lighting in certain games, this applies to bfbc2 and crysis 2, both of which have had problems relating to lighting. I think this also applies to sli as well from some of the stuff I have read after a quick Google.

ok thanks phill, iv done that and its been running fine so far and also noticed a strange difference in temps from idle 47c - load 70c to idle 38c - load 60c :confused: dont know what caused it to drop but i like it.

My Card was crippled with his Bios. Always a BSOD at booting when driver was installed, only 768 shaders and 1 ROP oO. Caster send me your card u lucky ******* :D

ok thanks phill, iv done that and its been running fine so far and also noticed a strange difference in temps from idle 47c - load 70c to idle 38c - load 60c :confused: dont know what caused it to drop but i like it.

No problem, it seems to be the game tbh. There's hundreds of threads and forums with similar problems and more that relate to bfbc2. I just pray that bf3 is not the same.

Can someone explain the performance/quiet switch to me? Mine currently in the default position (closer to the video ports on the card) and the fan runs around 45% / 48C at idle/light use. Is this operating in performance or quiet mode?

Can someone explain the performance/quiet switch to me? Mine currently in the default position (closer to the video ports on the card) and the fan runs around 45% / 48C at idle/light use. Is this operating in performance or quiet mode?

Yes, if you have a video running in the background.

This sort of temperature and fan speed is to be expected at 500/1250.

Should be around 40c/40% in idle.

Last edited:
Yes, if you have a video running in the background.

This sort of temperature and fan speed is to be expected at 500/1250.

Should be around 40c/40% in idle.

Sorry, to clarify I was asking about which BIOS mode (performance or quiet) the card operates in by default?

Well for those who are still interested i finally got my card unlocked :D
As for the performance side of things this card just cry's to be unlocked,
Ive noticed that in benchmark tests before unlocking it somehow felt like it was being held back and since unlocking this card it has become so much more smoother and responsive than what it was.
I am honestly not joking i can really see and feel the difference from 6950 to 6970.
On to the overclocking well so far so good i don't want to push my card to far at the moment but all i can say is this, i basically now have a MSI ATI Radeon HD 6970 Lightning 2048MB with ease and that card is £319.99 inc VAT and the best part about it is that its so much more versatile than the above card.
What i mean by this is i can have it set up as a 6950, 6970 or 6970 lightning at the click of my mouse or i can flick the profile switch and have it set on pure silence mode with 6950 power draw.
Any how i am thrilled how this card has turned out for me.
At first i was disappointed but now, Well i cant wait to get another :)
Here's a pic just for proof
2w7hgy1.png

I don't like the perfomance profil tbh. You can hear the card while gaming. It isn't very loud but still annyoing for people who want a quiet rig. With the silent mode my temps are 2-3°C higher (round about 53°C) but i'm barely able to hear the card at gaming. And 53°C is still uber cool for gaming.

So how did you manage to unlock it?

My advice to you is dont give up because like i said i basically have MSI ATI Radeon HD 6970 Lightning sat in my rig with im sure more head room for overclocking and the performance is a big leap from what it was despite what anyone else is saying about 3% to 5% leap
look at this way the HD 6970 Lightning is £320
the HD 6950 OC Twin FrozR III is £200
do you think there is a 3% to 5% gap between those cards?
the difference is £120 performance leap fact and my guess would be at least 20%
Anyway as for your card here are some questions for you since you are from a different part of the world to me.
It is the oc version right? and not the standard power edition.
Go into ccc and tell me
What bios version
What bios part number
what bios date
you have.
I don't belive they have laser cut these cards infact i have yet to see any proof at all that they have laser cut any 6950
I do belive that they might have changed the method as to how to unlock the cards and put in a hardware lock rather than a software lock.

Back
Top Bottom