• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSi gaming R9 270 fan oil leak?

Permabanned
Only you two actually and both of you have obviously never heard of the expression "add job here" example : engineer, think you slept with one.

See its a joke and most in a workplace would have heard of it.

So you really are clutching at straws and clueless and just made my mind up to set that ignore.

I may get a holiday or banned but I have helped in 99% of my posts here but I cannot stomach to read the BS he posted in this thread and your defence of him as he was insulting in lesser strong words and made claims I am not an engineer etc.

This is the last we will speak to either of you or post in this thread for the sake of the other good members with common sense.

You may think of it as childish but it saves future BS and that is what the function is there for.

Feel free to come back and try Mod this thread and rant more but its a waste of time as I will not see it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Here here, lets keep things on track and on topic here guys! Go slog it out on facebook/COD/BF3/4 if there really is beef. I'd like to think you both needed a decent nights sleep, a few beers and a chill out! ;)

Did anyone with a failed fan more than a couple of weeks old notice any oil splattering previously to the failure? I have some light splattering on one of my 270's fans and it's about a month old... :(

Associate
Did anyone with a failed fan more than a couple of weeks old notice any oil splattering previously to the failure? I have some light splattering on one of my 270's fans and it's about a month old... :(

Hard to say really. I didn't notice it when I installed them, but since then I hadn't opened the case. I only ever do that if there's something wrong.

If the fan hadn't failed I would never have noticed it.

All I can say is that the cards are/were used for crypto mining overnight and the card that failed was noticeably nosier than the other when the fans ramped up, even though both had oil leaking.
The noise wasn't bad enough to warrant investigation or RMA....until it failed.

Associate
Jesus :) I have had their two graphic cards = all with no issues at all, but it seems like company changed its fan supplier (you remember previous troubles with fan stopped working or crackling in TwinFrozr coolings ?) and somebody in MSI made some drastic (D-R-A-S-T-I-C) change apparently :)

Soldato
Started to hear a noise from what appears to be, my GPU (MSI R9 280X, as stated before). I'm not 100% its from the GPU, but I'm pretty confident. It seems to come from the right fan.

I took the GPU out, and I saw no oil traces.

The sound is quite low volume, even on 100% fan speed. It sound like a lot of air is passing through an empty tube.

Nothing seems to be wrong though. Fans SEEM to spin well and in sync (none are slower) and I see no oil traces on the GPU or mobo.

Might be my imagination, but I will keep an eye out for it.

EDIT: Now seems to be a buzzing sound. it comes and goes though.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Hi everyone, just to keep you all updated, I have been in direct contact with MSI.

We will have an answer by next week, if not sooner as ourselves and MSI would like an answer as soon as possible, and I am sure you guys do too! :)

MSI are aware of the issue, so thank you for reporting this, and MSI are working with us exclusively to provide feedback to us and you guys.

Thank you for being patient, and hold tight.

Obviously if you are currently having issues with any product then please contact our support team and they will be more than happy to help you sort any issues out.

Caporegime
I have three Twin Frozr cards at home. 2x 290 and a 7950. I haven't noticed any issues but then again I haven't really paid attention as I wasn't aware of this. Like many here, I paid a lot of money for these cards, so I expect them to work, permanently, without having to babysit them. They aren't internal combustion engines that need servicing or topping up, they're fans. Electric motors with a bit of plastic on top. I have never heard of a fan losing oil until now, and I'm rather surprised.

The fact is that I have been an engineer for more years than I care to recall, and had I delivered a product that leaked oil, I would've been told to redo it until it stopped. This isn't even up for discussion. This is poor craftsmanship, plain and simple.

I don't see why some are saying that this isn't an issue and should simply be dusted away and forgotten about. If your fans are leaking oil, they're ticking. Sooner or later they'll seize.

C'mon guys, we've been using fans in PCs for decades, never have I heard of this. Just because it isn't immediate failure doesn't make it acceptable.

I'd flip the script and it happened to me, only to be told it's not covered by warranty.

Props to OcUK for dealing with this though.

Associate
Wow, glad I found this thread - I'd spent most of yesterday reading up about this very cooler and it sounded great (i.e. nice and quiet) from the reviews.

Oh well, think I might skip it now.

So the question is, if I wanted a new card (probably GTX780/780ti), which one would have a cooler that is as efficient and - above all - quiet as this one?

Ps. Do we still expect "full fat" Maxwell cards this year?

Caporegime
Props to OcUK for dealing with this though.

Don't give them too much credit, they backtracked as that one tech guy first said it's not an issue.

But anyway you are spot on with what you just said :)

EDIT : It's usually 5UB that has to push the issue to get it fixed :)

Caporegime
Well, not only did the updated bios not fix the flickering, after opening my case it appears that the fans on the GFX heatsink have spewed oil all over the inside, on the motherboard, and every nook and cranny!!! Is this stuff electrically conductive?!? cause if so, I am damn lucky!! What is going on... for my first MSI product I am not pleased.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=178348.msg1288221#msg1288221

oops

Soldato
I've yet to check this, very worrying.

Out of interest, I bought my 770 back last June ( so not even a year old yet) before the price drop at £346.79 inc VAT and Delivery, if I had the oil problem and was to RMA, due to the price I paid for it, could I possibly be able to swap it for an R9 290 which are currently the same money I paid for the 770?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom