• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSi gaming R9 270 fan oil leak?

Yes hard to understand your mentality to why you have such a bee in your bonnet about customers with legit issues with these cards that you think are not an issue.

Even a member of OCUK staff has commented to drop them a line.

Yes hard to understand your mentality to why you have such a bee in your bonnet about customers with legit issues with these cards that you think are not an issue.

Even a member of OCUK staff has commented to drop them a line.

Not saying there is not an issue just saying if the fans are ok a quick wipe up of the excess oil could save a lot of hassle going through an RMA.

That is all.....

It's really not rocket science is it... :)

If you get this issue guys and want a replacement or refund, then we will accept it back. - MSI have confirmed that it is obviously a manufacturing fault so an RMA is fine to be processed if you are unhappy with your product. :)

Hope this clears everything up.

MOOGLEYS, Not sure if you really believe yourself, crazy posts on this issue.

Either work for MSI or smoke too much crack, either way your input is not helping and BS.

Either work for MSI or smoke too much crack, either way your input is not helping and BS.

Sleeve bearings are lubricated when assembled. If they are excessively lubricated it can leak out a and cause the above issue. A simple wipe up of the excess lubricant might be all that is needed if the fans are working as expected. I.e not noisy or failed.

I'm not sure how else I can explain this or simplify it any further for you. I smoke no drugs and do not work for MSI but I'm an engineer so always try to look further into the problem to save time and effort.

You are the simple one, I am an engineer and worked with all types of bearing bar fluid bearings.

I think you slept with an engineer TBH and I would not let you "put a nut in a monkeys mouth" going by your outlook.

MSI have admitted its a fault so get over it, you have no right to tell anyone here to live with this issue.

I am the new guy here and have no beef with you but your input in this topic is madness.

Last edited:
You are the simple one, I am an engineer and worked with all types of bearing bar fluid bearings.

I think you slept with an engineer TBH.

MSI have admitted its a fault so get over it, you have no right to tell anyone here to live with this issue.

The way you speak and put yourself across I hate to think what you are an engineer off tbh.

I'm entitled to my opinion and you do not agree fair enough but getting rude and offensive is a very childish way of going about things.

I was simply saying that a small amount of excess lube sprayed out by a fan is not always meaning a failure and could simply be fixed by wiping up the excess and monitoring for any more. Thus if this is all it is saving time and energy going through an RMA.

Anyway the good guys at OC have agreed to replace or refund cards so problem solved.

Fans have been ceasing up so it was obviously not a case of 'excess' oil as first claimed and MSI have now admitted that.

You don't want fluids dripping or being sprayed around a computer case anyway, not with potentially hundreds of pounds of hardware located nearby/directly underneath.

Just for those that are interested, it appears that eventually the leaking fan does this (or at least it did for me).

http://1drv.ms/1hZpklr

This is my card that I've just RMA'd. Leaking oil and slow fan and it's less than one month old.

Incredible to think that a technician or engineer said that leaking oil isn't a problem, they should be fired from the job!

Good vid

Just for those that are interested, it appears that eventually the leaking fan does this (or at least it did for me).

http://1drv.ms/1hZpklr

This is my card that I've just RMA'd. Leaking oil and slow fan and it's less than one month old.

Even the second fan that is spinning faster in that video looks like it has a strange wobble to it too. Bad show from MSI.. Cheap fans are now going to cost them a fair bit on RMA's now as these cards are very popular. There should have had better testing before releasing as a product and these problems would have shown up early enough as you say it happened in less than a month.

I know for a fact I would have been very upset if I purchased one of these and it leaked onto my motherboard and worst part is these leaks will probably end up landing in the unused PCI slots right under the leaking fans and making them unusable again due to oil being non-conductive.

Jh30uk dont do this thanks
we dont need stuff like this, we all often disagree/butt heads with others in forums when we dont agree on a issue, but dont take it to a personal level ok.. :)
We all have our own idea's nothing wrong with that sometimes its best to agree to disagree

He got away with me not replying his last post for the sake of peace and as I am the new guy so why are you here throwing fuel on the fire it after it is over?

He may not have been as vocal as me but he did hint I did not understands basic issues in more than 1 post.

Do you need me to quote the parts where he hints I am not grasping basic knowledge that he is tying to explain even though what he is saying is 100% wrong in this thread not a matter of opinion?

I can see at least 1 other calling him out saying he talks BS.

A mod would deal with me if need be and as I see you are not a Mod so thanks for moving on.

I do not think I crossed the line but close and at the end of the day he would try the patient of a saint repeating the same nonsense, making out I and others are not grasping things as he is an engineer.

Even after a staff member said MSI now admitting its a fault he still posted the same nonsense.

None of his input was helpful and was 100% wrong and I hope to get on with him outside of this thread TBH.

Until you posted above I was done with this thread.

Can you explain why what I said is wrong ?

I said if the fans are noisy or failed then there is an issue. If the fans are OK and its just a small amount of oil splatter then to wipe up and monitor to save all the hassle of RMA.

Not really sure what is BS and incorrect about that tbh. To me it would be common sense...

Same broken record again and again.

Anyone with common sense knows the leaking oil issue is not right and a fault so are we done here?

Same broken record again and again.

Anyone with common sense knows the leaking oil issue is not right and a fault so are we done here?

Sorry you mentioned being an Engineer and this being a discussion forum I was expecting something a bit more Engineering than "You smoke drugs" or " You have been sleeping with an Engineer".

As an Engineer myself I find I like to look further into the cause of an issue rather than just to say RMA or it's faulty. Light oil splattering from bearings is quite common and with the bearing being attached to a fan the oil being forced out is not unlikely. We know that MSI use sleeve bearings and these are lightly oiled in the factory before use. So my theory revolved around the fact the bearings could have been over oiled from the factory resulting in the oil splatter that is shown in the picture a page back. Now this to me as an Engineer is more of an inconvenience than an issue and as I mentioned if the fans are operating as expected i.e not noisy or faulty then a simple wipe up of the excess grease could be all that is needed and save the hassle of an RMA. Thus as an Engineer this is a good result and less downtime.
Now as also mentioned some fans have been seen to be noisy and or failed completely and without a doubt this is an RMA and no amount of wiping up excess grease will result in a fix in this situation.

So cheap fans constructed in very low paid Chinese factory's may be over lubed and this would be evident by light oil splattering and both fans working as expected. A simple mop up and monitor approach would be a good solution here.

Fan noisy or not spinning then RMA there is a more serious issue and the card needs replacing.

Yes in an ideal world there should be no oil splattering occurring and a user can RMA if they feel the need. But this is a forum of tech savvy people who want to game/Bench and if a simple wipe up of a small amount of excess lube results in less disturbance then all is good.

Simples....

;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom