• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI GPUs at CES 2014: Massive R9 290X Lightning

Soldato
Into that mix, MSI is releasing a gigantic R9 290X with their triple-fan and triple-slot GPU. The R9 290X Lightning should have the cooling capacity to keep the Hawaii cores running at maximum performance, but the drawback of course is that running more than two such cards in a single case will prove problematic at best. For those who are looking for the performance of the R9 290X without the noise, however, this may be the perfect solution.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7625/msi-gpus-at-ces-2014-massive-r9-290x-lightning-and-more

Ai5KRnb.jpg.png

Dp2gD7Ol.jpg.png

hGYw6Ljl.jpg.png

That is huge. :eek:

Last edited:
I want to see how they binned the gpus and the oc potential with that extreme pcb.
Also I think I read a while ago that it is gonna use Samsung memory? That alone is worth paying the premium for considering it would most like be able clock to 1700MHz+ without black screen issue, unlike the Elpida and Hynix memory used on most of the 290s at the moment. The Elpida memory for my 290x seem to be max stable at 1400MHz (5600MHz), and any higher would result in black screen. Can't say I'm happy with it, but at least I am luckier than those getting black screen even on stock clock 1250MHz or tinny bit higher.

Also I think I read a while ago that it is gonna use Samsung memory? That alone is worth paying the premium for considering it would most like be able clock to 1700MHz+ without black screen issue, unlike the Elpida and Hynix memory used on most of the 290s at the moment. The Elpida memory for my 290x seem to be max stable at 1400MHz (5600MHz), and any higher would result in black screen. Can't say I'm happy with it, but at least I am luckier than those getting black screen even on stock clock 1250MHz or tinny bit higher.

On the plus side 1400mhz is 360gb of bandwidth. Both of my 290 Pro cards have no trouble doing 1400+mhz on stock volts.

Last edited:
It would only be based on there flagship model the 290X I would imagine.

I imagine that it will be reserved only for the 290X, just as there was never a 7950 or 6950 lightning.

It's what I was thinking, just asking as someone in our gaming community is hoping for a 290 Lightning.

that yellow small fan , so fugly , and spins differently from other two fans ;/

It does look fugly compared to previous Lightning's but I guess if you're water cooling it, it doesn't matter.

If the rebadge 770 can get a Lightning then the 290 should get one no questions asked?

A 290 is just the fastest GPU from AMD with a few duff SPs... compare that to a rebadged mid-end chip masquerading as high-end... :|

Will be tempted to get one for Xfire. My current card can do quite well on the core but the limit is 1550 on memory. If i use the lightning and clock it past that as the primary card, would memory clock on the second card matter?

If the rebadge 770 can get a Lightning then the 290 should get one no questions asked?

A 290 is just the fastest GPU from AMD with a few duff SPs... compare that to a rebadged mid-end chip masquerading as high-end... :|
Yea. I bet the only reason why GTX770 Lightning existed was that MSI saw there's an opportunity for money to be made, as the GTX780 was sitting all the way up in the £550-£620, so there's a market for smacking £100 on top of the £330 GTX770 and fit nicely as a middle of the road card between the standard GTX770 and the GTX780 :p

Back
Top Bottom