• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI GPUs at CES 2014: Massive R9 290X Lightning

So these will be breaking world records again I take it?

Yeah probably, the cherry picked ones that is, the ones most of us get will probably be just above average :(

If msi want my money again i need to see "binned gpu cores" somewhere on the box, not "totally unlocked" blah blah blah, but your only getting a average at best core.

The only gpu 's which seem consistent are the classified's, yeah you get the odd turkey but nothing like you get with the Lightnings. :( it's a shame cos i like 'em.

MSI assured me they are binning all cores and memory quality is also key to this card which they are also keen to keep to the highest standards.

Are they going to stop being little girls with voltages on this round of AMD Lightnings? 1.35v for the non-ABX crowd was a joke on the 7970 LTG's.

This month.

Due to the way this conversation diverted to the 290 as opposed to the 290x lightning there, right about the time he asked the question, can I just get a clarification? Is it definitely the MSI R9 290X Lightning you are expecting to arrive this month?

Thanks in advance

Due to the way this conversation diverted to the 290 as opposed to the 290x lightning there, right about the time he asked the question, can I just get a clarification? Is it definitely the MSI R9 290X Lightning you are expecting to arrive this month?

Thanks in advance

Gibbo has said Jan/Feb

Assuming that stock is due this month and on sale next month.

Haha, let's see if this card can OC 1050-1100Mhz and maintain that consistently through extended game play, to avoid any awkward and silly variance discussions!

I'm gonna let you guys test this before snapping this one up! :)

Haha, let's see if this card can OC 1050-1100Mhz and maintain that consistently through extended game play, to avoid any awkward and silly variance discussions!

I don't see why not seen as quite a few reference can reach that with aggressive fan profiles and even more non reference.

Reaching 1100 core is easy. Both my 290 Pro's can manage 1100-1125 undervolted by -0.050v. The mistake people make is over - overclocking the memory. All that does is make you need more voltage to make the memory stable. The core will go far if you leave the memory at stock, or close to it.

Last edited:
I don't see why not seen as quite a few reference can reach that with aggressive fan profiles and even more non reference.

Yes, but in real life scenarios, i.e. gaming for half an hour or more, we see that variances start appearing.

My hope is that MSI find a way to ensure that they don't release a card that will fall foul of that issue!

There is no variance when the card is properly cooled and the lightning will be.

There is no variance when the card is properly cooled and the lightning will be.

:( ...so are you making an assumption that this card will not have the same problems or actual results from tests showing this card works in that range over long periods of time?

It's why I said that "I'm gonna let you guys test this before snapping this one up! :)"

Back
Top Bottom