MSI Optix MAG272QR 27" gaming monitor release date?

Caporegime
Yeah i've messed around with most of that with not much luck! Response time is set to fastest, tried FreeSync on and anti motion blur but it makes no difference what so ever. remains the same. Tried various contrast/brightness combinations and it remains the same sadly :( I'll contact support tomorrow and try another one if the outcome is the same i'll probably get a refund and buy another TN panel.

turn overdrive off or lower it in the monitors actual settings.

Associate
Yeah, not seen anything like that on ours when dragging a terminal around. My eyes aren't that good though.

We have refresh switched to 'fast', 165Hz and errr... nothing much else I can see in terms of special settings.

Associate
I think the overdrive setting on it are literally normal/fast/fastest and those made it worse on the normal setting and what it was in the clip i post on fast/fastest.
I'm getting a refund on it, kinda sad tbf as i really do like the monitor. I'll wait a bit and see what else comes up review wise and see what other people end up with and then see if i got unlucky.

Thanks for the reply Jimmy, yeah my TN panel has some if i really look for it buts its nothing on the level of that panel, feel like i got unlucky but yeah.

Soldato
I've just taken delivery of this very monitor today and not had chance to set-up, how are everyone's experiences so far and any settings I should consider changing to get the optimal performance?

Associate
Install the "GamingOSD" software to get access to all the settings in sofgware instead of having to mess with the buttons...

Oh, and the LED lights on the back aren't worth the bother unless the back is visible in your setup, they don't project at all.

Errr... yeah, my GF likes the "night vision" setting for night time scenes in some games, make sure you use displayport to get the full 165Hz.... that's about it!

Associate
@Elfmeister. - Thank you for taking the time to get back to me, fantastic response.

Evening,

I'm in two minds.

In games, for me it's fantastic, it's smooth, crisp and generally looks 10/10, an enemy lurking in the shadows will be almost invisible the blacks are so dark, panning around the smoothness I dare say it's a noticeable from 144Hz.

However, the ghosting on the desktop, especially on colour on black is harsh. I was using a using a yellow custom mouse cursor colour and that combined with a dark desktop background made the pointer blur to half it's size while in motion. I changed to a default black with a brighter background and it seems OK but I never has these issues with my Acer Z271 1080p VA Panel.

Another issue I've run into was when using "Shotcut" to edit video clips, the frame rate would tank whilst hovering the pointer over the "Shotcut" window causing savage flickering on other open apps like OBS and Teamspeak while in "Automatic Display Method", changing the setting to "OpenGL Display Method" fixed it, how and why I've no idea. I more stumbled into the fix than having an understanding of it. So you may run into flickering issues with other programmes. (There's an on screen Hz display you can enable in the OSD to track this)

Colour wise the reds a bit on the pink side but otherwise vivid and plentiful. The whites are ok, it looks a bit yellow/ washed and the text isn't as prominent and has a softness compared to my BenQ 1440p IPS LED which I've had 8 Years... but as a VA panel it's as good as my Samsung S32D850D in terms of colour and clarity.

The avatars on this forum for example have a real pop to them compared to my Acer, our particular avatar's suit has more depth to it for example.

G-Sync works, once Freesync is enabled in the OSD, only other setting I've changed is to enable the HDCR setting (personal choice) and upped the brightness and contrast by 5 each. On windows I've increased the text size to 130% (again personal) but most setting out the box are the most convenient, bar normal the other presets looks either too grainy or over saturated.

The curve is 1500R, compared to my 1800R Acer I can't tell the difference but it definitely looks more like a 26" monitor compared to my flat 27".

The Stand is weighty and easy to install, the non curved QR has a better base for me being flat, the feet on the CQR are angled and I can't rest my sound bar on them and there's a headphone holder on the left hand side, although I've used it to mount my microphone.

As it's sold and for me being used as a gaming monitor it's fine and I can live with the issues I've run into. I'm going to give it a day or two to decide if it's a keeper but for my needs/budget, it's probably not going to be repackaged so far.

It's funny you bring up the black issues, I have this mildly on my 4K TV on desktop so you could say I'm used to seeing this. Is this the nature of the beast, or can the issues you describe be fixed with proper calibration? Also, are you using HDMI or Display Port cable?

Could the flickering be a G-Sync issue maybe? I've read the odd comment that briefly describes similar issues your facing as panel lottery and was fixed later with a replacement, could it be that?

I never have much luck with monitors in my history as I usually upon delivery have some issue with severe backlight bleed, dead or stuck pixels etc.

Just found this thread: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...7-gaming-monitor-release-date.18869874/page-6

Morning,

Well, as you say it's more the nature of the beast, luck of the panel lottery. The video @Gusto_f56 posted in thread you linked to has a significantly more ghosting on text than I've encountered and I've none of the grid/line effects that are also present.

As for calibration I'm not sure where to start, not that there's much, I just go through the OSD options one by one like an eye test until I find what clear and best for me. I changed to RGB Full on Nvidia control panel too.

No dead or stuck pixels from what I see and perhaps the best monitor I've owned for back light bleed, as there next to none if any.

I'm beginning to enjoy it, I hope you are.

Soldato
@Elfmeister.
@Jimmy Weirdarms

Thank you both for the responses.

I've just unboxed and set-up the monitor.

Glad to report ZERO issues, FINALLY! :)

I've struggled over the years to get the perfect monitor and today the tradition of faulty monitors has finally been broken.

No dead pixels, backlight bleed or ghosting... if there is, it's extremely minimal.

I've not played with the contrast etc.

But I have played games in 144Hz and 165Hz without any issues.

Overall very happy and everything looks spot on so far.

Associate
I had mine returned and refunded as i couldn't get on with the ghosting in windows, that was the only deal breaker for me!
I may try another in the future to see if i get a bit luckier, but i can defo agree with everyone elses points.
Nice black, no back light bleed, very nice colours ( didn't notice any yellowing on my white backgrounds, everything else seemed spot on) it was just the ghosting!

As people receive theirs i'll keep an eye on reviews and what not, but if people have better luck then i may order another and see if its better.

Soldato
I had mine returned and refunded as i couldn't get on with the ghosting in windows, that was the only deal breaker for me!
I may try another in the future to see if i get a bit luckier, but i can defo agree with everyone elses points.
Nice black, no back light bleed, very nice colours ( didn't notice any yellowing on my white backgrounds, everything else seemed spot on) it was just the ghosting!

As people receive theirs i'll keep an eye on reviews and what not, but if people have better luck then i may order another and see if its better.

Can't say I've experienced any of these issues and has been running flawlessly since setting up a few weeks ago. Although stock of this monitor is like gold dust?

Associate
Found them in stock on Scan atm , no where to be seen elsewhere! Really tempted to try another one since you guys seem to have had better luck than me. I also plan to upgrade from my 980ti to a rx 5700 xt so that should be perfect for driving that monitor!

Associate
Found them in stock on Scan atm , no where to be seen elsewhere! Really tempted to try another one since you guys seem to have had better luck than me. I also plan to upgrade from my 980ti to a rx 5700 xt so that should be perfect for driving that monitor!

We got ours there. We're both 40(ish) and so our eyes may not be up there with you young whipper-snappers, but so far this monitor seems to have been an epic success for us. BUT - haven't tried the exact same test you tried up-thread, and it may be the problem you saw is present on all of them, but not immediately obvious to us.

I reckon it's worth another go, but don't be too surprised if it is actually the tech, rather than the individual unit you got :/

Associate
Well they are all sold out now there too! marked as End Of Life everywhere rather than out of stock, anyone know much about this? Thought they where only released early this year?!

Been looking at the AOC 27GU2 or the 24GU2 since i play mostly FPS's and fast paced stuff.

Back
Top Bottom