MSI Optix MAG272QR 27" gaming monitor release date?

Associate
OP
Got mine home and can't get it going on displayport. Works on hdmi at 144hz and 1440p.not had time to play anything on it yet. Did notice some strange lines appear now and then across the screen when in Windows folders and stuff. Need more time to play it but might be an rma at this rate. Will get another displayport cable and see if the one they gave me was the problem. Gpu has never used the ports so shouldn't be that.

Associate
Yeah, you might have an RMA on your hands there, if the cable doesn't sort it.

Ours is working great - installed the Gaming OSD control software and flipped it to 165Hz refresh, haven't messed with the settings too much but did try running the ufo ghosting check. I think my phone camera can't easily cope with 165Hz...

Oz8LRfy.jpg

Actually the computer was struggling a bit too, Firefox could only render it at 165hz for a few seconds, edge apparently only goes up to 60, had to download chrome.

Still, to me the ghosting looks negligible.

Associate
Only nitpick so far is the LED lights on the back are really weak, barely throw any light at all - if you were hoping for some sort of phillips ambi-light type experience, forget it.

Ithink they can only really be there to look good at LAN parties where the back of the monitor may be visible.

(Unles I'm missing something, but they're at 100% brightness according to the software)

Associate
OP
Ye the led craze needs to end on the back of monitors, waste of time.
Got the monitor going at 1440p at 120hz.think my hdmi cables are cheap and can't handle anymore. Hopefully the displayport cable sorts out this problem or its going back. I can never get anything that works right off the bat.

Associate
Only nitpick so far is the LED lights on the back are really weak, barely throw any light at all - if you were hoping for some sort of phillips ambi-light type experience, forget it.

Ithink they can only really be there to look good at LAN parties where the back of the monitor may be visible.

(Unles I'm missing something, but they're at 100% brightness according to the software)

Yeh the light's really don't do much but I'm not too bothered tbh! Maybe if the monitor was wall mounted you'd have a better experience but then who wall mounts a monitor ;)

Still really happy with mine so far!

Associate
Ye the led craze needs to end on the back of monitors, waste of time.
Got the monitor going at 1440p at 120hz.think my hdmi cables are cheap and can't handle anymore. Hopefully the displayport cable sorts out this problem or its going back. I can never get anything that works right off the bat.

I was under the impression HDMI only does 60 hz, I may be wrong though. This is the reason I bought a new monitor, I used to DVI from 280x (crossfired) to my old monitor at 144hz, I then bought a Red Devil 5700XT which had no DVI connector, so I used HDMI but only had 60hz, so I bought a HDMI to DVI converter but that only got me to 120hz, decided to upgrade the monitor to stop all the faffing.

My previous post on this, https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/displayport-or-hdmi.18871243/#post-33180683

Associate
I was under the impression HDMI only does 60 hz

I think that depends on the revision. HDMI 2.0 can do 4K@60Hz, but can go higher for 1440p because there are fewer pixels to push.
HDMI 2.1 is supported by newer nvidia cards (RTX cards basically), and supports VRR (freesync) over HDMI, and up to 10k@120Hz.

This monitor supports HDMI 2.0b, and claims to be able to support HDMI at 1440p/144Hz, so ... presumably it can, but either the cable or the GFX card is not able to push things that fast.

I don't know what the 5700XT supports here, but either way you're usually better off with displayport if you're able to use it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone been able to find any reviews of this monitor? I'm not super knowledgeable with monitors so i'm hesitant to buy one without reading reviews first.

Thanks

Associate
Has anyone been able to find any reviews of this monitor? I'm not super knowledgeable with monitors so i'm hesitant to buy one without reading reviews first.

Thanks

Nope. I was hoping one would pop up on rtings, as they seem to be the most in-depth and technical of reviewers, but nothing yet.

All I can say is what I said above - we're very pleased with ours, it's bright and beautiful, colours are lovely, LEDs on the back a total waste of time (if the MAG272QP is any cheaper, I'd go for that one, it's the same monitor without the lights on the back AFAICT), 165Hz is smooth as butter, freesync/gsync-compat over displayport appears to work perfectly...

But I'm not set up to do an in-depth tech review.

Associate
OP
I got 1440p at 120hz but my hdmi cables were a bit naff. Got a new displayport cable and now running at 1440p at 165hz with G-Sync enabled. Looks great and in process of doing a review atm. Will be live in a week or 2 as only limited usage time atm. I will say it looks amazing and runs very smooth.

Associate
Fairly new to monitors here and just bought one of these to replace my old Acer Predator GN246HL 144hz 1ms (TN Panel) and only 1 or two hours into use at the moment but i don't know how i feel about it.
Colours are definitely nicer on the MSI that my Acer but i think mine definitely has so noticeable ghosting or smearing in comparison to my acer, very noticeable when i move a windows slowly across the screen you can see very noticeable trails behind text/icons.
Text and everything else seems pretty sharp. Will use it for a little longer and see how it goes but may end up getting a RMA or Refund.
could have just got a bad one but yeah. I'll see if my phone can capture it and post a clip.

Associate
Yeah i did, came from the box on the faster setting, switch over to fastest and there is still some very noticeable ghosting, at least for me. Unsure if its bad, i'm sensible to it or whether its just a combination of all mainly coming from a fast TN panel.
I'll probably still refund it as using it actually gives me headaches from the bluryness sadly. Love the monitor, size is perfect, no bleed, really nice colour etc but yeah just the ghosting/smearing.

Associate
Capture.png

Try the response,image and motion blur settings.

Associate
Yeah i've messed around with most of that with not much luck! Response time is set to fastest, tried FreeSync on and anti motion blur but it makes no difference what so ever. remains the same. Tried various contrast/brightness combinations and it remains the same sadly :( I'll contact support tomorrow and try another one if the outcome is the same i'll probably get a refund and buy another TN panel.

Associate
I feel like its more that it should be though, unsure whether to try another one of the same again or not! I mean a little ghosting i wouldn't mind but when its that bad its kinda eh. Anyone else had much experience with VA's that can chuck in some insight?

Soldato
I feel like its more that it should be though, unsure whether to try another one of the same again or not! I mean a little ghosting i wouldn't mind but when its that bad its kinda eh. Anyone else had much experience with VA's that can chuck in some insight?

Had this monitor about 3 weeks now. I think its great, there is a little ghosting if you look for it but during game play it really is un noticable. (To me)
My other experience with VA panels was with an acer z35 predator. I hated that screen, very distracting.

Not once have I been distracted by ghosting on this panel, it is there if you look for it. But not enough to put me off whatever I'm doing like other VA's in the past have.

Associate
I'll try something similar on ours in a little bit.

Black/white is probably pretty much worst case...

No problems reported when gaming which is what she cares about. I spend my days coding on an older VA panel and have never noticed ghosting. Not that I've looked for it!

Back
Top Bottom