• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI R9 290 / 290x gaming edition - powertune throttling the core clock discussion...

is this normal that my idle temp is a lot higher than it was before? its now 48c and before was 35c

also will this nonsense be fixed with driver updates, amd and AB soon ?

Its because afterburner has told your card to remain in 3d mode, so the clocks are higher which = higher temps. Try running without afterburner to see if the core dropping still occurs. However you need to disable unofficial overclocking first before shutting down afterburner, then testing. You may need to use gpu-z to check the clocks after you finish the run.

There is likely some driver issue here somewhere, assuming that its not a case of software conflict. (its possible)

is this normal that my idle temp is a lot higher than it was before? its now 48c and before was 35c

also will this nonsense be fixed with driver updates, amd and AB soon ?

I think this is because with this method the card doesn't downclock when idle which is the issue I have with it.

I will have to test single card. Its annoying as i hate taking my system apart. I support i could just disable Xfire, but id still have the other card connected and card one would only be running at x8. Not sure if that would have an effect, but you never know.

This is going above and beyond mate :)

I managed to get my core clock locked to 1077mhz and the occasional screen freeze appears to be linked with Planetside 2 latest update.

Also guys, for the Twin Frozr cooler what is the best fan layout?

I have front intake and side exhaust and top exhaust, any recommendations?

Ok so i just ran Valley in single card and i did see a bit of core clock dropping! However it was mostly between the scene transitions. This is how the core clock looked.

vjw0RtT.jpg

I saw it drop to 974mhz, a bit lower this was during the scene. At one stage the scene transition kicked in and it dropped to 867mhz, however it went straight back up again as the new scene kicked in. I then decided to check some games games, Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs and the clocks did not budge at all. So its likely a driver issue, possibly just affecting synthetic benchmarks. Have you guys tested actual games?

Thats spot on what happens with my card! Small drops during the scenes with a larger drop during transitions! That makes me feel better as I thought I was imagining it! :)

I'll have a look in BF4 in about 10 mins when I get home from crappy work :)

I've been unable to replicate the issue in three different games. I can confirm it affects Valley and Firestrike though. UkSoldierboys fix is the best one until we get a driver update if you want the best possible benchmark scores though.

Will AMD want to fix it though as its exactly what their swanky new powertune is designed to do,

ie. to fix the noisy reference coolers from spinning too much when things get hot as this gives an incredibly noisy card

So powertune decreases core clock speeds instead of the above, to bring temps down and allow a slower running quieter fan.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-driver-fix,3666.html

No its a bug mate as it does not happen in crossfire with a much higher temp/power draw. I can't replicate the issue in games so it looks be affecting some synthetic benchmarks. The cards only throttle when the temp limit is reached. If it happens under any other scenario, (assuming the power limit is sufficiently high enough to stop the TDP from being exceeded) then its a bug.

The fix on page one works for me now I'm using Afterburner 3. :) I was using the older version provided on the MSI site! Doh! :)

Do you mean Afterburner Beta 18?

Last edited:
No its a bug mate as it does not happen in crossfire with a much higher temp/power draw. I can't replicate the issue in games so it looks be affecting some synthetic benchmarks. The cards only throttle when the temp limit is reached. If it happens under any other scenario, (assuming the power limit is sufficiently high enough to stop the TDP from being exceeded) then its a bug.

I've tried dishonored, bf4, skyrim, metro and all core throttle, as per my screenies on first page, unless I do the AB fix.

On the plus side, now got OSD working in BF4 :)

On the downside, I'm still getting the fluctuations during BF4. Worse somehow as I'm getting noticeable stuttering and as you can see in the screenie below the GPU load drops quite regularly and at no point is the clock 1100...

ueem.jpg

On the plus side, now got OSD working in BF4 :)

On the downside, I'm still getting the fluctuations during BF4. Worse somehow as I'm getting noticeable stuttering and as you can see in the screenie below the GPU load drops quite regularly and at no point is the clock 1100...

ueem.jpg

hmmm are you doing the unofficial overclocking mode?

ps. how do you get the dragon backdrop?

Yeah beta 18.

Make sure you use the link in my sig to report the issue to AMD. I can't replicate it in any games im afraid.

EDIT

Someone just check gpu-z or some other monitoring app to make sure it happens in that as well and make sure afterburner is not running at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom