• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI R9 290 / 290x gaming edition - powertune throttling the core clock discussion...

Nope to the unofficial OC mode. Official all the way :)

The skin came with AB beta 18. Setting> user interface

turn on unnofical OC mode from the first page and follow that guide, that will lock your clocks for sure.

I can confirm the official OC mode doesn't lock the clocks on Beta 18 Afterburner, see below... core clock all over the shop

Just to confirm this 100% works, but the CCC aspect isn't needed.

Try this,

In afterburner, go to settings, unofficial overclocking mode, select -Without powerplay support.

Next make sure power limit is maxxed in AB, dial in your overclock of 1077 on the core, hit apply and save the profile if you wish, next go into CCC and enable graphics overdrive, make sure the powerlimit is maxxed out in here too if not max it. (should be 50%).

Now try a game and see if the clocks drop, i use the above settings for my 24/7 oc of 1150/1400 and my clocks don't move a mhz.

I'm on the same driver as my 280x, so not sure if its that?

Ok on afterburner Beta 18, flicked the unofficial dropdown, and as soon as you set clocks to 1077mhz in this example and hit apply, the core goes to 1077 instantly and doesnt budge. Is there any downsides of using the unofficial OC mode, as it seems flawless to fix this?

I'll set up a profile 2 for none gaming use or just hit the reset button after gaming.

I'm on the same driver as my 280x, so not sure if its that?

Ok on afterburner Beta 18, flicked the unofficial dropdown, and as soon as you set clocks to 1077mhz in this example and hit apply, the core goes to 1077 instantly and doesnt budge. Is there any downsides of using the unofficial OC mode, as it seems flawless to fix this?

I'll set up a profile 2 for none gaming use or just hit the reset button after gaming.

Try an older driver as well. ;)

:eek::eek: this thread grew!

Glad my fix seems to be working for people, it's not the most refined fix though to be fair.

It all stemmed from my cpu getting a low physics score in firestrike, took me bloody ages to get something working seeing as the gpu was the latest thing i'd get with a cpu score.

Again i'm glad it's working though for you guys.

:eek::eek: this thread grew!

Glad my fix seems to be working for people, it's not the most refined fix though to be fair.

It all stemmed from my cpu getting a low physics score in firestrike, took me bloody ages to get something working seeing as the gpu was the latest thing i'd get with a cpu score.

Again i'm glad it's working though for you guys.

Good job Reece mate. Hope you reported it to AMD via my sig. :)

Cheers matt happy to help and contribute pal.

Yeah i've reported it via your link cheers, would maybe help if others using the cards would do the same perhaps? make them take notice hopefully.

On the plus side, now got OSD working in BF4 :)

On the downside, I'm still getting the fluctuations during BF4. Worse somehow as I'm getting noticeable stuttering and as you can see in the screenie below the GPU load drops quite regularly and at no point is the clock 1100...

ueem.jpg

after playing around with BF4 it would appear that the Rivatuner ss must be causing the gpu to unload for a split second causing the stutter as if I disable AB and RSS the problem goes away. I'll uninstall and reinstall and see if that helps.

I think i'll be happy if I can get to within a nats chuff of the set OC in AB as at anywhere near 1100 the cards plenty quick enough :)

if you disable powerplay does it still go to 2d clocks in desktop ?

aren't these cards just changing clocks based on demand from the games to save power ? which makes sense

if you disable powerplay does it still go to 2d clocks in desktop ?

aren't these cards just changing clocks based on demand from the games to save power ? which makes sense

If you use unofficial overclocking mode without powerplay, whatever you set the core to, once youve hit apply, it stays like that in 2d and 3d. So you can have a 3d and 2d profile saved, or just use 3d mode to fix the throttle issue, then hit reset button once finished gaming.

They save power by dropping the core clock, they also let the fan spin slower so are less noisy as not as hot with lower clock, but performance takes a massive hit as in some cases a drop of 35% on the core clock is probably putting the card on par with a r9 280 :eek: If gaming at high resolution, ultra'd out, the core dropping this much causes fps to suffer and microstutter when its occurring.

Majority of people who buy an r9 290 arn't going to be worried about a few watts, or the fan spinning a little higher, especially on the aftermarket quieter coolers, so AMD should just lock the clocks under 3d.

Last edited:

How is it YOUR fix, everyone been using this for almost two years since Amd removed necessary api dll files in 12.2 :rolleyes:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2259333
http://www.overclock.net/t/640563/msi-afterburner-1-4-0-bypass-ccc-limits/0_40
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=359671

Disabling powerplay is not a fix, it's just stark remainder how miserable Amd been for last years in drivers department.

Last edited:
If you use unofficial overclocking mode without powerplay, whatever you set the core to, once youve hit apply, it stays like that in 2d and 3d. So you can have a 3d and 2d profile saved, or just use 3d mode to fix the throttle issue, then hit reset button once finished gaming.

They save power by dropping the core clock, they also let the fan spin slower so are less noisy as not as hot with lower clock, but performance takes a massive hit as in some cases a drop of 35% on the core clock is probably putting the card on par with a r9 280 :eek: If gaming at high resolution, ultra'd out, the core dropping this much causes fps to suffer and microstutter when its occurring.

Majority of people who buy an r9 290 arn't going to be worried about a few watts, or the fan spinning a little higher, especially on the aftermarket quieter coolers, so AMD should just lock the clocks under 3d.

thanks toprock

How is it YOUR fix, everyone been using this for almost two years since Amd removed necessary api dll files in 12.2 :rolleyes:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2259333
http://www.overclock.net/t/640563/msi-afterburner-1-4-0-bypass-ccc-limits/0_40
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=359671

Disabling powerplay is not a fix, it's just stark remainder how miserable Amd been for last years in drivers department.

Get some tissues for your issues and chill out kid.

I couldn't give a rats arse who's fix it is, i'm not trying get people to like me or score points here.

I was just stating the solution that worked for me after testing lots of different things when i discovered that my Cpu scores in firestrike were low.

Definitely though your right,"EVERYONE" knew this and i'm just teaching them to suck eggs.

Well done;)

Last edited:
There was a issue and UKsoldierboy gave a possible fix thats worked for some people
You should thank him if it was helpful to yourself,, and if it wasnt then imo dont come and troll along saying he wasnt 1st ,, I dont see him saying he was he was simply stating what worked for him and trying to help others

Get some tissues for your issues and chill out kid.

I couldn't give a rats arse who's fix it is, i'm not trying get people to like me or score points here.

I was just stating the solution that worked for me after testing lots of different things when i discovered that my Cpu scores in firestrike were low.

Definitely though your right,"EVERYONE" knew this and i'm just teaching them to suck eggs.

Well done;)

Your fix was supurb soldierboy :-) Google doesn't return many solutions for r9 290 core throttle, many talk about power tune, or why though throttle occurs but don't give a step by step guide.

Hey all, just received my MSI 290x and loving it! Managed to get it to 1100/1400 without touching any voltage settings. Quick question, Im running it with powerplay disabled etc and wondering what temps are ok for the card to run at? So far getting up to around 72-74 degrees on BF4 and less than that on 3DMark (around 64)

Back
Top Bottom