MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Associate
on my board as above there is a CPU_POWER 1 8pin and a cpu_power 2 4 pin
but with my new msi 16 pin vga power supply no 4 pin for power 2 on
my old power supply evga was one so had both connected
can this board run withought 4 pin power 2 pluged in

Associate
I know WD SN850 NVME drives have had issues with X570 boards when running in the m.2 slot off the chipset but my understanding is that this was fixed by a firmware update for the drives and it was working at full speed for me previously
i had a new nvme drive completely lock up my x570 tomahawk by putting it in slot 2 - when it worked fine in a different PC.

Soldato
Any one else getting slow read and write speeds from the second m.2 slot? Not sure how long this has been the case for me because when I got drive I test with CrystalDiskMark and speeds where fine. Don't remember exactly but ~7000MB/s read and 5500MB/s write. Tested lastnight and I'm now only getting ~3200MB/s both read and write. Running latest BIOS and firmware for the drive. WD Dashboard reports the drive is using PCI-E gen4 and the drive is only 50% full.

Wondering if any of the later BIOS's broke something or if there's a BIOS setting I need to check.

I know WD SN850 NVME drives have had issues with X570 boards when running in the m.2 slot off the chipset but my understanding is that this was fixed by a firmware update for the drives and it was working at full speed for me previously
Tested again lastnight and speed to back to normal again so not sure what was going on before as I haven't changed any settings. Guess I'll just keen an eye on it.

Associate
I currently have a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X in my system. I'm just wondering: what's a good CPU upgrade for this board now? i.e. without having to replace the board

Soldato
I see that the clock multiplier is locked, so does that affect overclocking very much?
Best way to overclock Zen3 cpus is by using Curve Optimizer in the PBO BIOS settings. Not all AM4 boards support it with the 5800X3D though but if that's the case you can do it with software in Windows. Though I assume you have the X570 Tomahawk which means you'll be able to use either Kombostrike or CO :). Most you can get is 4.45ghz though all core unless you start messing with BCLK frequency

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for your response @SpudMaster - quick one: what is CO?
Curve Optimizer. Its under the PBO settings. Kombo Strike allows settings of 1, 2 or 3 which is basically Curve Optimizer at either -10.-20 or -30. If you use Curve Optimizer in instead you can fine tune a bit more by using settings inbetween those values like -26 for example. a lot of 5800X3D's will do -30 so if thats the case just set Kombo Strike at 3 for ease of use :)

Associate
I'm going to to finally give in and move to windows 11. To do so, I need to enable tpm. I've searched this thread and can't find anything in the current bios to enable tpm. Do I need to update the bios first to have the option... Or am I maybe missing it somewhere in the menu? I did enable secure boot but that didn't seem to change anything

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I'm going to to finally give in and move to windows 11. To do so, I need to enable tpm. I've searched this thread and can't find anything in the current bios to enable tpm. Do I need to update the bios first to have the option... Or am I maybe missing it somewhere in the menu? I did enable secure boot but that didn't seem to change anything

MSI said:

How to Enable TPM in BIOS​

Go to BIOS and find the item "Security Device Support" to enable TPM 2.0.

Click BIOS 5 – If your BIOS features Click BIOS 5, you’ll find "Security Device Support" in "Settings\Security\Trusted Computing". Enable “PTT” on an Intel motherboard, or “AMD CPU fTPM” on an AMD motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom