Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

I've not come across being able to do negative throttle to reverse the prop direction, it would take a huge amount of motor torque to do it and it just wouldn't really work on a quad. However.... I've also seen one quad build with props that can change angle (like a helicoptor) which can effectively do reverse thrust in a fraction of a second. You can get some insane agility like this, I don't see it becoming commonplace though.

Acro - Acrobatic mode, ie without the self levelling. So if you hold pitch forward it will carry on tipping forward and invert. It's the thing that the Hubsan really misses out on, seems odd that it doesn't have a way of switching it off (or at least not that I've come across anywhere)

My new toy... Just waiting for decent weather to test her out now :(

Fingers crossed for a drop in wind speed for 20 minutes at some point over the weekend!

1.jpg

2.jpg

I see you all talking about batteries and charging and I was wondering if anyone has tried supercapacitor tech in its place. I think they can be charged very quickly not sure on the power drain though.

I was watching some youtube about a guy using one for a car battery and it was really quite small. Might be worth a small test of charge/flight.

I see you all talking about batteries and charging and I was wondering if anyone has tried supercapacitor tech in its place. I think they can be charged very quickly not sure on the power drain though.

I was watching some youtube about a guy using one for a car battery and it was really quite small. Might be worth a small test of charge/flight.

It would make sense, you could build your own super capacitor and include it on board in place of the battery, power drain would be dependent on use so unless someone tries it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psbqU5jZgdg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psbqU5jZgdg

Last edited:
Acro - Acrobatic mode, ie without the self levelling. So if you hold pitch forward it will carry on tipping forward and invert. It's the thing that the Hubsan really misses out on, seems odd that it doesn't have a way of switching it off (or at least not that I've come across anywhere)

Thanks. How does it do flips if it doesn't have this mode? I guess its because you have to roll left and right to flip right or pitch back then forward to flip forward?

What would you recommend I graduate to next after I have got properly used to the x4?

Is there something similar that allows indoor flying with acrobatic mode?

The Blade Nano-QX or mQX are the best I've seen that's the next step up from the Hubsan, was looking into them a while back for a friend who wants a quad. Big step up in price however, especially if you had got the Hubsan at one of the really good deal prices.

Thanks.

Whats the difference between the Blade mQX RTF and Blade mQX BNF?

RTF is £110 - Completion Level: Ready-to-Fly, Is Assembly Required: No
BNF is £84 - Completion Level: Bind-N-Fly, Is Assembly Required: No

RTF - http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/122906/
BNF - http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/122908/

The RTF says - Includes MLP4DSM 4-channel DSM2 transmitter with batteries

Does this mean the BNF comes with no transmitter?

My little Turnigy camera arrived earlier this week.

I stripped it out of its housing and 'mounted' it on the X4 for a bit of a proof of concept test. It works and is able to fly around my livingroom with the camera attached taking video.

8uru.jpg
ke7b.jpg

I'm going to look into getting some heat-shrink to wrap the camera in to give it some better protection and devise a better mounting system, then wait for some better weather, and dry ground, to try it outside.

Correct RTF is with a TX, you could get a BNF and pick up a second hand TX from ebay... Spektrum DX5e or above... The DX5e can be had for £30 then you can use it for future craft as well, the DX6i would be better though.

Last edited:
My little Turnigy camera arrived earlier this week.

I stripped it out of its housing and 'mounted' it on the X4 for a bit of a proof of concept test. It works and is able to fly around my livingroom with the camera attached taking video.

8uru.jpg
ke7b.jpg

I'm going to look into getting some heat-shrink to wrap the camera in to give it some better protection and devise a better mounting system, then wait for some better weather, and dry ground, to try it outside.

Nice. Do you have a vid of it flying around to see what quality is like?

Also, what is flight time with the cam on?

Correct RTF is with a TX, you could get a BNF and pick up a second hand TX from ebay... Spektrum DX5e or above... The DX5e can be had for £30 then you can use it for future craft as well, the DX6i would be better though.

Hmmm, between £80-£120 for the DX6i. (plus £84 for the quad) Slightly more expensive than the £22.50 I paid for the x4 with tx!

Nice. Do you have a vid of it flying around to see what quality is like?

Also, what is flight time with the cam on?

I have a video but I don't think it worth uploading, there is about 30 seconds worth of usable footage, it is upside down and very shaky. The quality is not briliant, it reminds me a little bit of what video was like on my old iphone 3Gs. But for £6 I was not expecting too much.

(Edit: Actually looking back at some old video it is worse quality than my old 3Gs, it is actually rather poor quality)

Flight time, again I don't know, from a full charge it took about 55 - 60% throttle to lift off so I don't think the flight time will be much beyond 3-4 minutes. I didn't try flying around for very long as the room is quite small and there are quite a few valuable things that I didn't want to fly into, it also scares the canaries. The flight was just a quick proof of concept to check that the camera worked and the X4 could lift it.

Edit 2: I have just watched Flukester's video on the previous page, it is nowhere near that kind of quality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom