Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
Soldato
I see you all talking about batteries and charging and I was wondering if anyone has tried supercapacitor tech in its place. I think they can be charged very quickly not sure on the power drain though.

I was watching some youtube about a guy using one for a car battery and it was really quite small. Might be worth a small test of charge/flight.

I don't think super capacitors are viable for anything that needs to haul it's own weight around, you'd end up adding more and more or larger super capacitors to generate the necessary w/h and end up increasing the weight of the quad requiring even more of them to get and stay in the air.

Soldato
How does the C rating work?

The batteries C rating determines at what Amperage the battery can be discharged (MAX).
So that battery is a 25c Rated battery meaning that it can be discharged at a max of 55A (2200mah x 25 = 55A).
It's Peak Discharge is 35C so can be discharged at a PEAK (for 10secs MAX) of 77A.

These a MAX figures mind. So you will be fine discharging at anything up to them figures. I wouldn't want to get close to them though, you'd want to be buying a better battery in them cases.

Edit: these are NOT charging C values :) They will be printed (should be) on the battery sticker

Soldato
The regular Turnigy batteries aren't bad, I've had some for 9 months and so far they're bombproof. I've heard a few people have had puffing issues with the NanoTechs so I went with Zippy Compacts on my Disco.

Soldato
I accidentally flew my x4 straight into my mates face at eye level when he was watching tv (sort of a sideways drift)

Good job it had the guard on!

Soldato
Hmm, interesting. How can you not store fully charged? It would be impractical to have 6+ batteries all not fully charged before a commercial flight. Or do you mean for very long periods of time?

Also what do you mean by don't fly until the battery is drained?

Associate
Store as in a couple of months or more, if you are flying daily or weekly doesn't really matter so much.

If you fly until the voltage drops to a certain level the quad will slowly lose power causing it to land if you are lucky, you do not want to fly until you get to this level because it is bad for the battery and will reduce its life span more quickly.

Last edited:
Soldato
As Cowie said really, don't store them fully charged for long periods of time (a few days/weeks will be fine) They don't like it. Store them at storage voltage of 3.7 -3.85v per cell.

You should never drain a lipo fully or fly until it's flat. It's not only dangerous for your model (you'll probably be unable to recover the heli/quad/tri/plane due to no battery charge left) but your Lipo's wont last very long.

Soldato
Days or more???

I'm never that strict, my batteries lasted a long time and still had the same flight time. (mQX now sold after 1.5 years now waiting for next quad to arrive)

I never leave packs fully charged for more than a couple of days.
They are pretty safe at 3.85v per cell, fully charged the risk of fire is significantly increased.

Despite the fact they are in a steel container, they are still stored in the house.

Suspended
I just made an (expensive) impulse buy. Oops.

Looks like I'll be playing with FPV very shortly! Just got to renew my Amateur Radio licence!

Back
Top Bottom