Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
I'm getting confused with all the license/club talk. All this stuff is optional right? To cover yourself if you are doing risky things?

No, there is no license you can get that will allow airborne transmission at 5.8GHz at more than 25mW.
:confused: Not sure how to take this comment, if there is no license for it does this mean you aren't supposed to do it. Or just that it's a non issue - all the fpv kits I've seen are well above 25mW.

I thought the only issues were around the legality of recording and selling for profit rather than actually just doing it for recreation.

Don
:confused: Not sure how to take this comment, if there is no license for it does this mean you aren't supposed to do it. Or just that it's a non issue - all the fpv kits I've seen are well above 25mW.

The is no license for it and it's illegal to do it without a licence.

Simply put, any airborne transmission in the 5.8GHz range with power that exceeds 25mW is illegal in the UK for civilians. It is however unlikely that anyone would ever get told off for this.

Soldato
As far as I understand, BMFA membership includes insurance.

However, this insurance comes with terms and conditions.

Unless you are flying on a recognised flying site, with the land owners permission the insurance is invalid.

You cannot fly RC in a park for example and expect insurance protection against mishap.

Soldato
Our commercial insurance covered us for flying up to 3,000ft in our existing policy/premium which I was quite surprised at, thought the insurers were going to come back and ask for double.

Soldato
Thing to remember is, unless you a flying from a recognised BMFA flying site the insurance is invalid anyway.

That's not strictly true. For the insurance to be valid, you just need to have permission to fly on whatever land you're using.

So, if you know a friendly farmer who will let you, you can fly on his land and be covered.

Associate
DJI Phantom is a better camera platform over the Blade because it has a better altitude hold system, the Blade is more acro capable, at stock any way.

And I couldn't find a Phantom for cheaper than the Blade... not sure where you are looking for prices...

Soldato
The phantom I've seen for £350, been looking at it for a month or so now. Was tempted by the blade as you mentioned it, the blade also looks quite nice.

Last edited:
Associate
Very little I would say.
The capacitors in these things pack a good punch (not enough to kill you) but will be enough for slight burns and a bit of pain :D
Wear some rubber gloves if you can, you'll be fine.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-an-ATX-Power-Supply-Into-a-Regular-DC-Powe/
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/bat...0951-how-convert-atx-power-supply-rc-use.html

Edit: PinkFloyd is right however, if you wanted a proper PSU (with a switch, power light, banana plug jacks etc) then you need to open it up.

Disclaimer: I shall not be held responsible for any death, injury or suffering you, your family, pets and sheep may be subjected too following those two links :D

Looks like I can't use this powersupply, the power fluctuates between 12v and about 18volts which might explain why it appeared to be dying in the first place.

Tried the charger that comes with the Blade 350 qx (the one with only croc clips) hooked up to a 12v car battery charger and it errors... found an old 12v plug/transformer for a no longer used printer... sliced the connector off and bared the copper but the charger still errors... pain in the ass.

Back
Top Bottom