Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Associate
Oooh, how are you finding the SuperX? It's supposed to be really, really good. I was considering one instead of the DJI A2 for use with my S800 EVO but decided against it due to the extremely keen pricing on the S800 EVO + A2 bundle.

Just maidened it this lunch time. Few small issues but I suspect that's down to the build rather than the FC. When it was working, it was spot on. Very stable altitude and position hold, even on my wobbly plastic 330mm frame.

I did have a slightly scary moment when it started making slow circles and then went a bit mad went up and behind me. I'm very glad I programmed the failsafe hahahaha.

Looking at the flight-log, massive drop in battery power, coupled with some quite bad vibrations probably caused it. Need to balance my props, install a li-po alarm and probably get a better frame!

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Can you set a lipo alarm on voltage (e.g. 3V / cell) or is it something generally set by flight time left? If the latter, is it a case of trial and error, testing voltage left at a predetermined time and then adjusting the alarm so as to have the time left in minutes = 3V left in battery?

Associate
Which charger is it that came with the blade? Is a proprietary one that the seller supplies or a generic one from hobbyking or some such?

Its an Eflight one that has crocodile clips only and will not run off the mains unless you have an ac adapter... should be as simple as just finding one that does 12 volts.

Last edited:

Mat

Mat

Soldato
When building your own, how do you go about deciding on which motors, ESCs and flight controllers to use? Do you need to match certain types for any particular measure?

For instance, would these all work nicely together:

ESC

Flight Ctrl

Motors

I have no idea which specs to look at to determine if one is better/more desirable than the other :p

Associate
When building your own, how do you go about deciding on which motors, ESCs and flight controllers to use? Do you need to match certain types for any particular measure?

ESC

Flight Ctrl

Motors

I have no idea which specs to look at to determine if one is better/more desirable than the other :p

Short answer, yes, they would all work together, fairly easy to set up and should be good for a quad up to about 1,000g on a 3s battery or a bit more on a 4s battery (latter provides more volts, so spins the motor faster, so more thrust but weighs more!) You might want the 30a ESC's though.

Long answer....

So once you've decided on what sort of flying you want to do (acrobatics, FPV, Aerial video/Photography etc) then that should give you some guidance as to which flight controller would suit...

KK2, Multiwii are quite good for the Acrobatic styler of flying

Multiwii, APM, DJI and Xaircraft amongst others make ones with GPS available that are good for FPV and AP/AV stuff.

Other are available so best to do some reading on this :)

----------------------------------------------------------

So firstly, you need to find your frame you want to use, then work out what the rough "all up weight" will be. This should include; frame, batteries, wire, esc's, motors, rx, flight control board etc. Gimbal & camera if you are going to use them!

Then, you need to find a motor and prop combination that will generate lift equal to your AUW at 50% throttle. Most manufacturers publish these specs. Frame size will also dictate how big props you can spin.

I know this is a bit chicken and egg, but you can make a rough guess at the first and then refine the estimate, once you know roughly what you want!

Finally, ESC needs to be rated to the maximum draw of the motors you pick.

Battery choice is then explained quite well on one of the first pages of this thread!

HTH?

Associate

ESC

Flight Ctrl

Motors

Those would work ok together,the hobbyking blue esc are great along with the kk2.1 but they both need flashing with the latest firmwares to get the best out of them.

Associate

The charger it comes with is this one http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLC3010

and looking at the specs for those ac adapters the plug I have should work... but the charger kicks out an error...

I use a portable jump starter/battery pack to power my charger (I also have a Blade 350qx).
Mine cost about £100, but even a cheap one (<£30) should work since all they contain is a 12V battery.
As luck would have it or not as the case maybe... I could not start my bike this morning and not having any power to the garage I rent and also the battery being a bitch to get out of the bike I decided to go with a cheap jumpstarter and see how I fair with that... atleast then I also have a portable power supply to charge batteries as well as lighting for my garage and a source of power for 12v devices like an Impact Wrench:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi there,

Just looking into building a kit quadcopter and I've read a few posts here and come across the following link. http://oddcopter.com/2012/12/12/easy-diy-quadcopter-build-part-1-the-parts-list/

Would this be a good kit for a beginner? Ideally looking to mount a go pro 2 onto one and add a gps unit 'return home' etc

Any ideas or beginner kit 'parts lists' would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Associate
Hi there,

Just looking into building a kit quadcopter and I've read a few posts here and come across the following link. http://oddcopter.com/2012/12/12/easy-diy-quadcopter-build-part-1-the-parts-list/

Would this be a good kit for a beginner? Ideally looking to mount a go pro 2 onto one and add a gps unit 'return home' etc

Any ideas or beginner kit 'parts lists' would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Just having a quick look at the part it seems to be using the same stuff as mine apart from the frame - the Hobbyking KK2.1 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board doesnt support return to home or GPS

Associate
Im all new to this so started off with a basic frame with the wiring harness in the frame

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__37227__Q450_Glass_Fiber_Quadcopter_Frame_450mm_Integrated_PCB_Version_UK_Warehouse_.html

And a well known flight controller the kk2.1

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__49254__Hobbyking_KK2_1_Multi_rotor_LCD_Flight_Control_Board_With_6050MPU_And_Atmel_644PA.html

I would have liked alt hold and Return to home, but these controllers are a lot more expensive but for starting in to quads the kk2.1 ticked all the boxes

Soldato
Pricing up from elsewhere I've already got to £290 with gps etc, thats without a receiver/transmitter. Think I'm going to go cheap with my first one and see how I get on, do you think that frame would hold a go-pro?

Associate
Pricing up from elsewhere I've already got to £290 with gps etc, thats without a receiver/transmitter. Think I'm going to go cheap with my first one and see how I get on, do you think that frame would hold a go-pro?

not as standard, ive seen on the net people using the same frame but with what it looks like helicopter landing gear on the bottom, and the camera installed in there

Suspended
Duplicate from what I've bought thread but...

20140108_221442.jpg

A few more bits to come yet but getting there.

Where's that picture of the labrador and "I have no clue what I'm doing" when I need it?

Associate
Back
Top Bottom