Mutterings of a GrumpasaurusBex

Associate
OP
Re: the diet plan in the program. I've not started this because as some have noted there are a few contradictions in there .. I'm sure there was something about no eggs first thing and then recommends an omelet for breakfast. :p.

So diet wise I'm a little lost on what I should or should not be eating. Once I figure this out it will be the weekends that have any cheat meals in as I'd like to keep to the cleaner eating in the week .. I just need to prep in advance.

Re: Squats - he's pro squats but with my knee we've given it a few weeks off. Now that the low reps seem to be doable without it causing any issue then I should be able to get back to them.

Man of Honour
Re: the diet plan in the program. I've not started this because as some have noted there are a few contradictions in there .. I'm sure there was something about no eggs first thing and then recommends an omelet for breakfast. :p.

So diet wise I'm a little lost on what I should or should not be eating. Once I figure this out it will be the weekends that have any cheat meals in as I'd like to keep to the cleaner eating in the week .. I just need to prep in advance.

Re: Squats - he's pro squats but with my knee we've given it a few weeks off. Now that the low reps seem to be doable without it causing any issue then I should be able to get back to them.

Low reps you say? Sounds perfect for strength. :D

Man of Honour
Avoiding sugar and processed stuff is good advice, as is working out what your macronutrient intake should be (there is a good thread on here for that).

Eggs for breakfast is fine. What he's talking about is only really useful as part of an overall plan of manipulating insulin, and he clearly has no idea how to do that (it's also not essential).

Soldato
Avoiding sugar and processed stuff is good advice, as is working out what your macronutrient intake should be (there is a good thread on here for that).

Eggs for breakfast is fine. What he's talking about is only really useful as part of an overall plan of manipulating insulin, and he clearly has no idea how to do that (it's also not essential).

Sure, but "avoid all forms of sugar", then "eat all this fruit" is incredibly contradictory.

Associate
OP

I've just printed Steedie's posts on this so I can have a look over them on my break later today. :)

Associate
OP
Day 8 - Wed 24 Jul
Really broken sleep last night which I'll put down to feeling anxious about my mum & her hospital appointment later today, so feeling tired but glad to train anyway.

Warm-Up
• 8 min treadmill warm-up | incline = 0 | Speed = 5

Lifts
• Body squats | 2 x 6 @ 5kg in each hand
• Front squats /w broom handle | 1 x 8
• Goblet squats | 2 x 6 @ 12kg
• Squats | 1 x 6 @ 20kg | 1 x 6 @ 30kg | 3 x 6 @ 35kg | 1 x 6 @ 40 | 1 x 6 @ 42.5kg
• Hamstring curl /w swiss ball | 3 x 15
— last one of each set holding for 5 secs, I could actually feel my hamstrings working for a change
• Good mornings | 2 x 12 @ 20kg | 1 x 12 @ 22.5kg

Core
• Plank | 3 x 40s (front) | 3 x 30 sec each side
• V-sits | 3 x 15

Warn Down
• 5 min treadmill | incline = 0.1 → 0.05 | Speed = 4

Associate
OP
I believe so. I went up to 42.5kg on the 4th set and then dropped down to 35kg for the last two sets. Mainly because my knee was twinging occasionally & I don't want to push it too far and have to drop squats from my weekly training again.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Day 9 - Fri 26 Jul
Had an awful day at training today. My knee didn't want to play ball with squats and then my left shoulder was giving me grief. I woke up with it feeling stiff, so I think I slept funny on it.

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Warm-Up
• 5 min treadmill warm-up | incline = 0 → 0.1 | Speed = 5.5→5

Lifts
• Body squats | 1 x 6 @ 5kg in each hand
Chest press → Knee push-ups → Leg raises
• Chest press /w d-bell 1 x 10 @ 8kg weights each hand | 3 x 8 @ 10kg | 1 x 2 @ 12.5kg
— My shoulder just didn't want to play ball at this point
• Knee push-ups | 4 x 8
• Standard push-ups | 1 x 8
• Leg raises | 5 x 35 (pulses)
• Incline chest press /w d-bells | 1 x 8 @ 8kg
Lunges → Weighted 'fast' walking → Prowler
• Lunges | 6 x 6 (3 each leg)
• Walking | 6 x 60m (approx) @ 9kg each hand
• Prowler | 6 x 15m (no additional weight)
— This was the first time I've used the prowler, at first my steps were to long and it seemed to be easier to move once I kept them smaller & tried to keep my body more parallel to the floor

Associate
OP
Yup, on an indoor track. I could really tell I do no cardio though :p

TWG-Track.png

Associate
OP
My parents are visiting me this week so I've been fairly busy with that. My knee has been playing up some more and my shoulder earlier in the week wasn't wanting to play ball either (moving my arm behind my back for instance was incredibly painful).

My doc has recommended I try physio again to see if it helps with my knee, as she says the pain will be tendinitis and the physio may help. Other than that she suggested what I'm already doing, which is anti-inflams when needed & not to do anything that will aggravate it more when it is playing up.

The lad that was helping me train won't be anymore. So it's time for me to start having a look at putting something together for myself. I guess my main worry is lifting on my own in the gym.

Day 10 - Tue 30 Jul

Warm-Up
• 8 min treadmill warm-up | incline = 0 → 0.1 | Speed = 5.5→5

Lifts
• Chest press /w bar | 1 x 8 @ 30kg | 2 x 6 @ 32.5kg | 1 x 7 @ 35kg | 1 x 7 @ 30kg - straight after the previous set |
• Cable rows | 2 x 12 @ 27kg | 1 x 12 @ 34kg |
• Skullcrushers | 1 x 12 @ 4kg | 1 x 12 @ 5kg | 1 x 13 @ 6kg
• Zottman curls | 3 x 12 @ 5kg
Goblet → Swings → Shoulder press
• 1 x 6 @ 6kg
— My knee just said no so I couldn't do any further sets

Warm Down
• 10 min treadmill | incline = 0.2 → 0 | Speed = 4

Day 11 - Wed 31 Jul

Warm-Up
• 8 min treadmill warm-up | incline = 0 → 0.1 | Speed = 5.5→5

Lifts
• Body squats | 4 x 6 @ 5kg in each hand
• Squats | 1 x 6 @ 20kg | 1 x 6 @ 30kg | 2 x 6 @ 35kg | 2 x 6 @ 40
— I'm not 100% sure on the weights, the PT usually notes them down however he didn't this time :(
• Prowler | 1 x 22m
• Plank | 4 x 40 secs

Warm Down
• 5 min treadmill | incline = 0.1 → 0 | Speed = 4

Man of Honour
Sorry to hear about the knee. Make sure you get a decent physio that understands sport/exercise, because not all physios are created equal in this regard...

And if you want, there are plenty of people on here who can help you with your new programme...

Back
Top Bottom