MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Associate
How easy was the wheel change operation out of interest?

I'm trying very hard to not start spending on small things for the 5 like I did with the GTV although the mods you're doing are exactly what I would have done if I'd have gone mod mad :p

While I haven't done it on an MX5 the typical process is disconnect battery, go have a brew for 20 minutes, couple of holes that you poke a flathead into to release the airbag, unplug it and then unbolt the wheel

Man of Honour
Looks smart with the new paint job :)

What wheels and tyres will you be running when it's all done?

Wheels is an internal struggle at the moment. I really like the look (and fitment) with the TSW Evos as fitted to the front, the rears are off at the moment as I bent one of them at Curborough, but in the other hand they are heavy (7.7kg each)

So it's either straighten the bent TSW and refurbish them in Gunmetal, or buy a new set of Traklite Gear in Gunmetal (4.9kg each) but then they don't look quite as good and I can't get them in the same ET20 offset as the TSWs

Tyres always have and always will be 195/50/15 AD08R

Soldato
I've had an intermittent slightly binding caliper on the MX5 for a while which I'd been monitoring which is Lordrobs code for pretty much ignoring. In my defence it was very intermittent and it didn't bind much when it was. Today though I noticed that one wheel had more brake dust on than the other and it was red hot. Got it booked in for the local garage to have a look at on Wednesday but I expect it'll need a new caliper.

Timing has worked out OK though. I lost my job last month and with it my company car but I start back (same company, new owner) on Monday and I get my car back so I won't be using the Mazda as my daily :)

Associate
Me don't want a sweaty palm ! :p

2eDt9VRU4.jpg

Problem solved? :D

Caporegime
Looking to pick up a mk2 or mk2.5 1.8 at some point in the very near future (weeks, not months).

It will be nothing more than a sunny day driver and potential to be a track toy.

Anything (other than rust) I should be specifically looking for when viewing? Any "must have" mods that I should do before taking to a track (improved rollcage?).

Cheers

Soldato
Looking to pick up a mk2 or mk2.5 1.8 at some point in the very near future (weeks, not months).

It will be nothing more than a sunny day driver and potential to be a track toy.

Anything (other than rust) I should be specifically looking for when viewing? Any "must have" mods that I should do before taking to a track (improved rollcage?).

Cheers

Not in particular, I was advised about clutch judder as mk2.5s are known for it, just reverse slowly up a slope to test for it.

Barring that, the usual rust spots - mine has some slight surface rust heading into the rear arches, but that's it.

Out of interest whats your budget?

Soldato
@paradigm - I would assume so, along with a new flywheel/skim.

I picked up my 2005 Icon for £1750, so there are late mk2.5s out there for your budget :) Although in fairness if its for track use are you too bothered about a minter?

Back
Top Bottom