MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Caporegime
I'm bothered about rust, but paintwork blemishes and dints I'm not overly fussed about. Got a 2004 on my radar at the moment for ~£1500 with a gnats over 100,000 miles, but also interested in an early mk2 (1999) that's far more local and closer to £1000.

Man of Honour
My mates 60k mile late 2003 MK2.5 is just as rusty as my 98 115k mile mk2, what of that what you will

As you aren't in a rush I'd try and pick up a mk2 RS import as that'll be the most rust free other than one that's been repaired. It'll also get you a 6 speed box, LSD and 7.5k Rev limit instead of 7k

Must have mods for track days for me would be overhauled cooling system (Alloy rad, replace all the hoses and the water pump inlet) some half decent brakes (FreakyParts 280mm conversion is really good on mine) and a rollbar. GCFabrications do some nice rollbars in multiple styles that work with a glass hood

Caporegime
Weight, expense of modding, and a more detracted driver involvement would see me preferring a Mk1 or MK2/2.5 over a MK3.

Don't get me wrong, if this were to be a daily driver I'd be all over a MK3, but it's only for a bit of raw fun.

Associate
Yup, that's fair enough, heard much the same from friends with 5s until they try mine, just thought I'd mention it as many don't realise they can be had so cheaply, mods for cars cost much the same really outside of FI, though I don't think you'll get 190bhp for under £800 out of the older engines NA. When it comes to weight if you get the basic 5spd mk3 it is pretty light.

The only thing that cost more really between the models is the tyres but a 5 is quite light on those, I do seem to pay 2x.

Caporegime
Must have mods for track days for me would be overhauled cooling system (Alloy rad, replace all the hoses and the water pump inlet) some half decent brakes (FreakyParts 280mm conversion is really good on mine) and a rollbar. GCFabrications do some nice rollbars in multiple styles that work with a glass hood

Have you got any links and/or suggestions for the replacement cooling system parts? I'll likely go chasing more power at some point in the future (probably next year after I've got used to the car's dynamics), so I might as well bear that in mind with any upgrades I make now.

Man of Honour
Have you got any links and/or suggestions for the replacement cooling system parts? I'll likely go chasing more power at some point in the future (probably next year after I've got used to the car's dynamics), so I might as well bear that in mind with any upgrades I make now.

I'm using the Alloy rad from here, can't remember where I bought my silicone hoses form but they also do a full set minus a couple

http://fast5.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=68_84

Water pump inlet I bought from MX5Parts

http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/waterpump-inlet-pipe-mk1-p-705.html

The 90 degree elbow is a steel push fit affair and corrodes eventually leaking. Worth not ruining a track day for stupid coolant leaks (Think I've also got my old one that I replaced the elbow somewhere too)

280mm coraddo disc conversion came form Stewart at FreakyParts. For some reason I can't find the longer hoses the kit requires on his website

http://www.freakyparts.co.uk/epages...es120337_es124285571161/Categories/Mazda/MX5/"Mk1Mk2%20NA-NB"/Brake_Kits&ClassicView=1

Caporegime
Done the deal this evening, picking up a 2003 1.8 in silver, don't think it's a special ed or anything, but it is a 6 speed, running 16" wheels (that I'll likely swap out for some light 15s), black heated leather interior, and seems pretty solid, though I'll be budgeting to have it fixed regardless, as they all seem to rot at some point.

Coolant system has been recently overhauled too, OE parts rather than upgraded, so that's on the list too. No hint of clutch judder either, so that's a plus.

It's not mint (clearly had a ding to the lower bumper at some point) but it's pretty nice for its age and mileage (73k). I need to start getting a few bits for it!

Caporegime
A few dealer shots, hopefully picking it up on Saturday. Quick question, what are Greenlight like as insurers? Trying to go with someone mod friendly (and their additional track cover is a nice touch), but having never used them before I'm just interested in opinions of people who've had dealings with them.

mx5-1.jpg

mx5-2.jpg

mx5-3.jpg

Also looks like it needs lowering a tad, the arch gaps are comical!

Man of Honour
Greenlight have been good enough for me that I didn't even shop around last December.

Cheapest quote on Compare the market was £750 on mine with no mods declared. I'm paying £450 a year with Greenlight, 5 miles, all mods declared. They only charges for mods are thing power related and they do it in bands so you can do whatever you like upto say 200bhp etc.

That looks really straight, the diff might and hit miss on that one as it's probably a Super Fuji

Back
Top Bottom