My 200mph budget build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
everybody scoffed at you at first, and 15 months on you're still pressing on.

I really hope you manage to get it finished and reach that magical 200mph. Would make it all worth it.

Associate
OP
this is looking properly awesome now, budget must have increased significantly?

understatement of the year im afraid mate, working in a minimum wage job and renting a place makes this currently the bain of my exsistance, if this crash hadnt happen the car would have been finished and id have cracked my 200mph back in march:(

still ive got a shed to get me to work and back so this can the thing that when i take it a track day will make all the 9-5s worth while

Associate
OP
ok little update, well sort of

got a few pictures to me today so thought id share them.

when they popped up the first thing i thought was 'hold joseph and his technicoloured car!! haha

one thing im happy about is the shut lines on the panels, one thing i wanted was it almost to have a factory race team look to it instead of looking like its been attacked by halfords, hence the modified original front bumper(rear bumper will be done when i build my diffuser)

it should be ready for paint now but the big thing for me is i dont want any cutting, grinding or welding doing once its been painted so the intercooler and rad are being modified with brackets etc now before paint.

Ive requested the outlet of the intercooler has a 4inch pipe so when i go to 100mm throttle body in the future if i go drag racing its setup ready for me, in the mean time ill just use a 4in to 3in silcone reducer

anyway, here are a few pics, you can see how much wider it is
icon_smile.gif

228035_10150199942411657_643856656_7446093_3027265_n.jpg

226250_10150199942501657_643856656_7446095_5129622_n.jpg

230654_10150199942561657_643856656_7446096_3519119_n.jpg

222819_10150199942576657_643856656_7446097_1571636_n.jpg

227273_10150199942601657_643856656_7446098_6206033_n.jpg

Associate
i dont drink, i dont smoke, cars are the only hobby i really have, something ive loved since i was a little child.

most people will spend £50 a week on good food/drink/nights up town, since they dont interest me id rather put that money to something ill truly enjoy.

This isnt some 50k super build, this is to prove to everyone and more importantly to push myself technically that if i set my mind to something i can achieve it.

for whats on the car already, including buying it is 6750, so i have 3250 left to put on it.

£200 for dual fuel pumps
£300 for fuel pressure reg, 1600cc injectors and fuel rail
£120 for radiator
£280 for intercooler
£1400 for turbo, manifold, wastegate, downpipe, screamerpipe
£150 water injection
£250 spark amplifier
that comes to £2700 so in the long run im already most of the way there
once i have achieved my goal, ill turn the boost right down and have a nice 500bhp reliable weekend car, i walk to work so this is just something for me to make sure i cope with the boredom and tedium of my job

BEST POST ON THIS FORUM!

Good man. Im a student and building a rather large powered TT. All funded myself! Due to the fact I dont drink, smoke or other things people think young males do!

Soldato
I really do admire those out there who can happily spend money on souping up their motors seemingly without blinking twice.

Even without the smoking, partying or drinking (or at least without the drink until recently :D) I could never justify it. I always ended up looking at the figures and thinking 'Hmm, I better not'.

Associate
OP
its all about deciding what you want to do with your life.

for me its cars, always has been, nothing else has really interested me, so this vehicle will allow me to execise that hobby whenever i like.

and dont worry, i blink 3 times every time i put my hands in my pockets, thats why all my panels are GRP and not carbon

Soldato
Liking cars is one thing but it is the mental block of A) Spending a lot of money that you're never going to see back and B) Knowing that this is the right car to be spending that money on that always gets me.

Soldato
Its not a vast amount of money, anything below 15k is 'cheap' for a performance car especially.
This does depend how reliable it might be, if he gets to 200 but cant drive it to the shops as its trashed or unusable then it was costly I guess

Looking at the list, people spend more on train season tickets

) Knowing that this is the right car to be spending that money on that always gets me.

People waste money all the time on useless crap they dont need to. a lot of people dont even need to own a car to do their job, they could cycle or whatever but they buy a car new maybe and its worse waste then his budget.
Most large amounts of money wasted in a lifetime are the things never thought of, work out the compound interest costs on a mortgage - overpay a few thousand in the starting years and the savings would buy a new car with change left over

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Liking cars is one thing but it is the mental block of A) Spending a lot of money that you're never going to see back and B) Knowing that this is the right car to be spending that money on that always gets me.

the way ill look at it is this, when its up to full power, the amount of prep and high standard of the vehicle means that if i ever come to sell it then it will hold pretty strong money(circa £15k) so in theory i wont be massively out of pocket.

i decided on this car because of a few reasons.

it can be made very light
it can take massively wide tyres
its very aerodynamic
the engine can be taken to 1000bhp
it was the best handling car to ever come out of japan(well equal to nsx)
its different, not something you see on the roads everyday
being rwd it has plenty of different uses, plus it will keep me entertained compared to 4wd vehicle
if i break the engine its very cheap to fix
parts for upgrades are very cheap

overall i couldnt find a better car for what i wanted, though i think learning to drive this monster is going to be a steep learning curve after driving around in fiat estate for 7 months!

Associate
Money is just money, whether you spend it on hookers, drugs or cars..TBH i'd probably go back and save 500+ quid a month i spend on booze and save it for a better car, but i had fun and that was my choice. got no problems with the op and i wish him the best of luck with his goal.

Associate
As no one has done it yet........

1st refusal when you come to sell? (On a serious note I hope you never do, you are building a monster and Very impressed with you skills)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom