My Golf Project

Soldato
Absolutely epic project, I hope one day to have anything remotely like the skill you have to make this thing live! I love mk2 Golf's and want one desparately but with my current car budget I can't get anything near a mint one :(

Associate
More More I want to see.................................. MORE!!

Ive just been reading the whole thread from page 1 finally now at the end but I didnt see an interior shot of when u had finished? did i miss it?

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
Whats the map running now in terms of bhp and torque? Did you ever get the "high boost" sorted?

t

High boost was sorted before the last RR day, it made 262bhp and 285lbft at Powerstation.

VWGolf.jpg

Err, played! :p

Seriously mate, it's a fantastic build, you should be very proud :) I take it you're planning on keeping it for a while?

Yes going to keep it. Planning to mod it further now. I'm going to enjoy it over the summer as it is and then rebuild it over winter.

More More I want to see.................................. MORE!!

Ive just been reading the whole thread from page 1 finally now at the end but I didnt see an interior shot of when u had finished? did i miss it?

I don't think I've posted any shots of the interior actually, will get some taken tomorrow along with the new grill.

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
Hybrid K04 next? Over 300Bhp?

I'm not sure! I'm looking into different options at the moment. An ATP eliminator kit looks tempting as I wouldnt have to change the downpipe etc. I do have a spare engine here that I think I'm going to build up so the internals can cope with the power without a worry and I can just swap them over when it's ready. I also need some bigger injectors and a suitably uprated fuel supply system.

The eliminator turbos come in 290bhp, 350bhp and 400 bhp versions but, it's so nice to drive now as the K03s spools up so early, I dont really want to spoil that by putting a HUGE turbo on it. Is an extra 30bhp worth £1000+? I might aswell go for the extra 90bhp for the same price!

Much research required before deciding. Need to remember that it's FWD aswell!

Some pics of the interior and the new grill (not sure on the grill, will probably only use it for track days)

DSCF0415-1.jpg

DSCF0417.jpg

Soldato
^^ + 1

Keep the grille.

RE: Turbo, there are some guys on the SeatCupra.net forums running IHI turbos and 300-320Bhp. Most are quite happy with them for daily drivers even though the Leons are FWD. You are about at the limit for a K03s turbo so if you want significantly more power I'd bite the bullet and go for something in the 320 to 350Bhp region. You already have decent suspension, ARBs and LSD so I'm not sure you need to do anything to enable you to better get the power down.

With 350Bhp that car would be a real monster and a thrill a minute to drive!

Badger Bill on the SCN forums runs a custom Ibiza at over 500Bhp. He's a track racing nut though

L1J

L1J

Associate
OP
Feredo DS2500 brake pads were awesome, didnt fade once. Front disks will need replacing as they were a bit grumbly by the end.

Little bit of an update on this following another track day I did last week.

I'd ordered a new set of disks a few weeks ago and had some time to fit them a few days before the track day and found the DS2500 pads didn't cope that well with the previous track day I did.

DSCF0466-1.jpg

:eek:

That was about 190 track miles and about 400 non hard road miles. I've used DS2500s before on lots of road cars (no track days) with no problems at all, it looks like they don’t like sustained high temp use.

I decided to try some Pagid RS42 pads or blues as they are commonly known. I didn't even have time to bed them in before the track day.

DSCF0020.jpg

I found some other bits that needed replacing, the CV boots were worn and the track rod end rubber seals were perished. When replacing the CV boots I checked the CV joints and found they were binding at certain points. All the parts were replaced with genuine VW parts this time. Hopefully they will last longer than 10k miles! It's a lot better to drive with new CVs, much less torque steer.

The Pagids were brilliant all day, totally consistent with lots of pedal feel and inspired lots of confidence. They were much better on track than the DS2500s. I was catching most of the cars on track under braking :D

I checked them after the day and they looked in a much better state then the DS2500s.

DSCF0469-1.jpg

A few on track shots

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

Those Toyo R888s grip surprisingly well in damp conditions!

One more track day next month and then it's time to take it off the road for a few mods over winter.

Back
Top Bottom