My Log Burner...

Soldato
Well that went different to planned.

We've ended up seeing an Ex-Display model in the local shop which is £1400. The look and feel of it compared to the cheaper ones we saw was night and day. Just need to work out whether we can justify spending 3x what we expected!

One thing he mentioned was that on top of the stove it would be about £300 for the registry plate and piping etc. Does that seem reasonable? I hadn't considered these extras before when looking at prices and thought those bits would be included.

The breakdown was

Stove - £1200
Registry plate and extras - £300
Fitting - ~£200
Flue liner - ~600

Said there might be some wiggle room. Wondering whether you thought the above seemed reasonable? I think the fitting and flue seem very reasonable. It's just that £300 which sticks out a little.

My first was about £2.5k all in and included disconnecting / removing and disposing of the old gas fire / hearth and surround with a new granite hearth, oak mantle and cowl as well as skimming the builders opening but no liner and the stove (in that price) was ~£900

Had an extra over price, if needed, of £450 for a liner

Had my second (different house) fitted a few weeks ago and was £3k for removing / disposing of the old gas fire / surround and hearth, forming the opening, liner, cowl, skim the opening and breast, oak mantle, slate hearth and same stove

On that basis I dont think that price is a million miles away

dal

dal

Associate
Having looked. The best one around that budget seems to be the Flavel Arundel.

They'll usually sweep during installation.

As for me. I've changed again and decided to go with the Mendip Woodland.

Our opening is pretty big so anything smaller would be lost. This one seems quite tall 620mm compared to a lot around the 450mark.

Any reason for favouring the Flavel Arundel over any others in that price range, I'm not disagreeing with you just wondered how you came to your conclusion.
Two that I'm interested in are :

http://www.stoveworlduk.co.uk/DEFRA...y-Curve-5kw-DEFRA-approved-wood-burning-stove
https://www.stovefitterswarehouse.c...2-se-with-half-price-5-duraflue-chimney-liner
I'm currently undecided & need to research them a bit more.

I've still got to find a installer yet as well, how did you guys get on finding one ?

Soldato
Just placed the order for ours.

Not sure how true it is but the place i ordered from mentioned that a lot of other retailers who bundle in flue pipes/registry plates do so using the cheapest ones possible just to make it look like a good deal.

He said they just sell the stove and other things are sold separately. To is credit his price for the stove was £100 cheaper than the next cheapest place, and our installation price includes everything else anyway :)

dal

dal

Associate
Just placed the order for ours.

Not sure how true it is but the place i ordered from mentioned that a lot of other retailers who bundle in flue pipes/registry plates do so using the cheapest ones possible just to make it look like a good deal.

He said they just sell the stove and other things are sold separately. To is credit his price for the stove was £100 cheaper than the next cheapest place, and our installation price includes everything else anyway :)

Yes I imagine they do, I think you can get a discount if you buy the stove only which is what a might do and get the installer to buy the liner etc as they buy that sort of stuff all the time and will most probably know what the decent stuff is.

How much are you paying for installation ?

I was going to have one fitted last year but held off because I didn't really have enough £££ for cost of stove + fitting + other parts & materials, but I did get a quote of £600 but it didn't include fitting hearth & re plastering fireplace which I was going to do myself.

Soldato
It's £400 for installation (maybe £500 if he needs the help of a builder to get the old gas liner out). That includes the flue pipe, registry plate etc. We already have the space opened up and plastered so that makes installation pretty simplei think.

He's checked our chimney and said it's good enough to not need a liner so that's saving a good £600 for us.

Soldato
One think i'm not looking forward to is that they say it comes on a pallet and left outside as they can't move it due to health and safety

This thing weighs 120kg! How the **** am i gonna move that on my own! Hoping for a generous delivery man who gives me a hand.

Soldato
One think i'm not looking forward to is that they say it comes on a pallet and left outside as they can't move it due to health and safety

This thing weighs 120kg! How the **** am i gonna move that on my own! Hoping for a generous delivery man who gives me a hand.

I helped the fitter move my mates in as I was around at the time, it was quite a struggle :D

Soldato
We've got a Jydepejsen Country 575 coming soon, currently just have a massive hole in the wall after removing a tonne or so of bricks:

YHLsrG7h.jpg

Also have an oak lintel which will be fitted just below the brick arch (which will not be visible). Hopefully should be finishing off the hole this weekend, will update with some pictures when I do. We got all out stuff from stovefitterswarehouse who are really helpful if you need an info or guidance.

Soldato
Brilliant

Had a call from the wife, the chimney guys round to remove the old gas liner in preparation for fitting the stove next week.

Whilst doing so both the internal and external chiminies have collapsed.

My first thought is let's hope our house insurance covers it but now I'm wondering if he should have business insurance to cover it as surely he should've inspected the condition of the chimney prior to pulling out a big long tube!

Any thoughts on this? I know there are always unforeseen complications with things like this so it could just be one of those things.

Soldato
Got home last night and after seeing some pictures and a video I'm pretty happy to say it's not his fault.

It looks like there's been a fairly ropey repair job at some point in the past and water has been getting in eroding the mortar.

He said if a building inspector saw it he'd condemn the building as it could collapse completely at any point. Not sure how true that is but I agree it's pretty urgent.

He recommended a builder who's given us a quote which seems reasonable. Given it's a shared chimney we're hoping next door will go halves. But she's old and wants to talk to her daughter which is understandable. We're keen to get it resolved though so think we'll just get it done and try and get something back if we can.

Likely we'll need a liner too. Adds about £3k to the job :(

dal

dal

Associate
That's a lot extra, how old is your house?

I've been quoted £1500 for installation but that includes liner, hearth, oak beam new chimney pot, basically everything except stove, nor sure If that's a good price or not, I need to work out the cost of these parts/ materials & see how much of that is labour. I've got another guy coming round Tuesday so I'll have something to compare then .

Associate
I'd expect a decent liner and a few days labour to be 1k.

Do make sure the liner is good! Going cheap isn't an option that should ever be considered when dealing with fire. Make sure the chimney is fully swept as well. The liners do get hot enough to set any crap left in the chimney on fire, and a chimney fire that catches = bye bye house.

Soldato
I am trying to decorate after the installation of my wood burner (the skirting round the hearth).

Now if I finish it like this
fire.jpg
will I burn my house down?!? :D Or should there be a bigger distance from the burner to the combustible material ie the skirting?

Soldato
Is that skirting not cut the wrong way? Even if you wanted a return end it should be cut further up?

I have no idea on the regs regarding fireplaces and combustible materials, but if it's mdf it's unlikely to incinerate quickly??

Soldato
That's a lot extra, how old is your house?

I've been quoted £1500 for installation but that includes liner, hearth, oak beam new chimney pot, basically everything except stove, nor sure If that's a good price or not, I need to work out the cost of these parts/ materials & see how much of that is labour. I've got another guy coming round Tuesday so I'll have something to compare then .

It's over 100 years old now. A big chunk of that extra is rebuilding the chimney and ultimately a chunk of that again is for Scaffolding.

Total cost is going to work out as

Stove - 750
Installation - 400
Liner/other misc bits - 300
Chimney rebuilt - 2200

Back
Top Bottom