My new car (Warning: Uncool 5 door action inside)

Soldato
OP
Just been out and now it's dark I love the little puddle lights in the mirrors and how the whole car sort of "comes to life" as you unlock it :cool:

Is yours Machine Silver too Pete?

Nice, enjoy it :)

Do current Fords still have that silly bonnet release mechanism that requires the key or have they changed it by now?
Yep :D

Soldato
OP
Yeah the silver really works with these, for sure :) I do like the Performance Blue though. In fact the only colour I don't like is black - ruins the lines of the car IMHO

Soldato
Looking good Howard, got the wrong colour obviously but looks like a great example. If you need any help or advice drop me an email, might have some spare bits lying around.

Change the mats for the ST ones, only a red piping around them but would look much nicer in yours than those horrible things you have currently got.

I have a couple of questions to fellow owners:

1) Where do you get yours serviced?

Just Local Ford Dealer, only got a hendy franchise round this way but not overly expensive.

2) Which companies do you find are best for insurance?

As you know mine is modified a bit which is the state I got it in, but Chris Knott have always been competitive as are adrian flux and greenlight.

3) I Will need new front tyres at some point, any reason I shouldn't replace them with the same ones so they're matching?

Had the Eagle F1's on mine for a while but felt they wore through rather quickly,(7-8k) replaced with Vreds which suit the car perfectly, stiff sidewall and good wear rates (11k ish miles) work well for the car.
4) Why do you all complain about the stock audio quality? I tried it with my iPod via the aux in briefly and it sounds good through the Sony 6CD HU in my opinion - nice full sound, not tinny or harsh like many stock audio systems sound, decent sound stage

Oh dear Howard I thought you were into your music, the standard system is woeful, I only tried it with CD's but felt the sound quality was poor at higher volumes which are required when on the motorway, and it lacked any real kick from the paper speakers.

5) That said.. How easy is it to fit an aftermarket HU? How much room behind is there to shove cables etc? Where do you locate your iPod?

Not loads I had to cut a bit of plastic out with a hot metal knife to get the RCA cables in properly on my pioneer but other than that not a problem, only issue I have is my console looks terrible as due to the fascia adapter it puts weight on it and pulls it out at the bottom, so had to use some glue but couldnt ever be bothered to sort properly.

6) I can't get used to this whole climate control lark; should I just set a temperature, leave it on "Auto" and let it do its thing?

Pretty much, put it on 20-21 and set to auto and it will cool/heat as desired through the required vents.

Soldato
Not loads I had to cut a bit of plastic out with a hot metal knife to get the RCA cables in properly on my pioneer but other than that not a problem, only issue I have is my console looks terrible as due to the fascia adapter it puts weight on it and pulls it out at the bottom, so had to use some glue but couldnt ever be bothered to sort properly.

:eek:

I had none of that chew and imo, the centre console looks better with the aftermarket HU I fitted. Is yours a double DIN?

Soldato
:eek:

I had none of that chew and imo, the centre console looks better with the aftermarket HU I fitted. Is yours a double DIN?

chew? explain the northerness?

Did you have any RCA cables to install though? I had to run two pairs to the boot and due to the size of the plug they fouled this bit of plastic behind, but only just. Only single din, I agree it does look better but I couldnt get it to sit flush so it looks a bit carp.

Soldato
OP
I like how the console looks with the Sony unit :o

And Paul, thanks for your replies :) I am into my quality, which is why I was surprised initially at how it sounded! It was only on my driveway though, will try it on the way to work tomorrow :)

I've got an Alpine HU, small extra box (for DSP) with some RCA cables between that and the HU, and I need an earth point for the DSP box probably. Might not bother fitting a sub for a while. Are there any pics/guides online showing photos with the HU removed?

Soldato
chew? explain the northerness?

Did you have any RCA cables to install though? I had to run two pairs to the boot and due to the size of the plug they fouled this bit of plastic behind, but only just. Only single din, I agree it does look better but I couldnt get it to sit flush so it looks a bit carp.

Yeah my RCA cables were pretty thick and also a thick powerlead which went down the opposite side. The fuse sits behind the panel by the passengers feet.

I just slotted the blocks down the fairly big hole which is behind the console :p

Ohh and chew meaning trouble/bother/grief etc :)

Back
Top Bottom