My new ride

Soldato
Mostly to keep the engine from being overworked and to break it in yes.

But some riders going to a high power sports bike keep the limiter to stop themselves yanking the throttle and ending up on their arse with the bike a mile down the road :p

Soldato
Mostly to keep the engine from being overworked and to break it in yes.

But some riders going to a high power sports bike keep the limiter to stop themselves yanking the throttle and ending up on their arse with the bike a mile down the road :p

Haha, Im very cautious of getting a sports bike as my first after all these comments regarding it. Just found out the Honda cb500 I'm learning all does 0-60 in 4.9s. Mannn, it feels a lot slower and safer than that. Obviously I just don't know how to work the machine properly yet.

Associate
Nice bike, a mate of mine has got one and it does look good in those colours. I was never a big fan of the front of them though, just feel the lights slightly spoil the looks of them to me but I wouldn't say no if someone gave me one :D

Soldato
OP

However, that is something I won't be doing :p. Can't wait to get it de-limited and start enjoying the power band of the engine :D.

Nice bike! Welcome back, buddy. Enjoy your new toy on your POTL! It looks ace.

Cheers dude. I'm already loving my POTL :D. Got nearly 3 months off in total including my annual leave that I've built up.

Haha, Im very cautious of getting a sports bike as my first after all these comments regarding it. Just found out the Honda cb500 I'm learning all does 0-60 in 4.9s. Mannn, it feels a lot slower and safer than that. Obviously I just don't know how to work the machine properly yet.

Sports bikes are only as fast as your right wrist. That said, a 1000cc bike is exceptionally powerful and wouldn't make a good first bike. However, a 600cc supersport is more than fine, if you're sensible!

Associate
A copy/paste of my review from another site:

You've heard the hype surrounding the BMW s1000rr. All I can say (pretty much) is believe it - this bike is amazing & shockingly fast = something like a 9.5 second 1/4 mile fast enough?

Given most of my experiences with post 2000 sportsbikes, I almost wanted to hate it, say it was uncomfortable, handled like a pig at slow speeds & was meant for the race track only.
Well, it certainly made me look the fool -totally wrong there & on all counts.

This bike is more comfortable to ride & puts less weight on my wrists than my 1996 fireblade!. In fact, if the riding mode electronics were kept in rain mode then even a new rider would find this easy to ride; more so than any 600 supersports in my opinion. It's incredibly well balanced, and poised, at all speeds. It has a 1/2 decent turning circle, phenomenal brakes, slick gear box with quickshifter. Nice layout for the controls/switchgear etc.

I'm hard pressed to find any faults with this bike, it simply is that good. If pressed I would say the indicator switch is a little stubby, and, depending on your stance on bikes, it's almost too refined, too smooth, too..... German?. It's probably quite hard to have proper fun on this bike at sensible speeds too given that it makes going extremely fast rather effortless, even around the tightest of bends. It perhaps lacks a little 'character' compared to, say, an early ZX10r which is a snarling, raw beast of a bike. My opinion might be changed if I get to ride this bike without the electronics, AFAIK they can't be switched off 100% fully. The traction control is still on in slick mode, only the anti wheelie & rear ABS are deactivated.

Oh, & it's butt fugly! :D

Spec as tested:

BMW s1000rr, newest model on 61 plate

Standard kit fitted:
Quickshifter
Slipper clutch
ABS
Traction Control + anti-wheelie
4 mode engine map/power control. The different settings are called rain, sport, race, & lastly slick (which wasn't available to me unfortunately)

Additional kit:
Akrapovic End can - sounds lovely on overrun :cool:

Tested on a cool, dry & overcast day, and the approx temperature 14C

My previous sportsbikes:
Fireblade 893 foxeye + 929 millennium edition, k2 GSXR1000, K4 GSXR600, Ducati 1098s

My 'stats' :) :
33 years old, 184cm tall (6 foot, 1/2 inch in old), 100Kg (approx 16.5 stone), 79cm inside leg (31 inches), medium sized hands, size 9 boot.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Good review there. Agree on many of the points!
One thing I've really found is how usable it is at low speed. I found it possible to pretty much get it into 6th while doing 25-30mph, and the engine would be fine, wouldn't struggle along, and would quite happily pick up speed when required. It's extraordinary.

You can disable both the TCS and ABS using the left function button. It'll never be disabled by default in any of the modes though.

Just want to get the engine fully run in so I can start enjoying the full power of the engine! This weather is rather disappointing!

Associate
Cheers dude. I'm already loving my POTL :D. Got nearly 3 months off in total including my annual leave that I've built up.

Epic, perfect timing to enjoy your bike! I got mine last year in the second week of my six week POTL, so spent the rest of it riding around in the sun. Luckily the weather was fantastic, but it looks like you've got some poor luck with the current weather!

How much further until the engine is fully run-in?

Associate
You've definitely got this bike in the best colour scheme, I test rode a red/white one and it really did not suit it!.

I hope you've got a big lock to be sticking that outside your house!. I would worry 24/7 about it being stolen or being dicked about with if it were mine, it really puts me off owning a new & desirable bike again :(

Associate
I hope you've got a big lock to be sticking that outside your house!. I would worry 24/7 about it being stolen or being dicked about with if it were mine, it really puts me off owning a new & desirable bike again :(

Check out pic number 3, I think its garaged.

I'm sure that thing will be an absolute hoot to ride, though I must say I don't find it the prettiest of things! :eek:

Soldato
OP
Epic, perfect timing to enjoy your bike! I got mine last year in the second week of my six week POTL, so spent the rest of it riding around in the sun. Luckily the weather was fantastic, but it looks like you've got some poor luck with the current weather!

How much further until the engine is fully run-in?

Still another 350 miles to go. I'm visiting family at the moment, so my riding time is really cut at the moment. Once I get back home, I'll be free to smash the miles, get it un-restricted, and enjoy it fully then. Hopefully the wearer will improve though. Brand new tires, and a 193bhp engine are scary things in the rain lol.

Soldato
OP
You've definitely got this bike in the best colour scheme, I test rode a red/white one and it really did not suit it!.

I really like the Red/White one, but there is just something that bit more special about the motorrad colour scheme that I love :D. It is quite a love/hate bike in the looks department, but I love it though and though. The Asymmetric headlights are a feature I really like :D.

And yeah, it's garaged at all times. If it ever won't be, it'll have a heavy thatcham approved chain on the rear, and a good disk lock on the front, and also thrown under a cover.

Associate
Check out pic number 3, I think its garaged.

LOL I was too busy looking at the bike & I scrolled the screen down so the top 1/4 of that picture wasn't visible = didn't really take the open garage in. I thought the brown box in there was a wheelie bin :D

And yeah, it's garaged at all times. If it ever won't be, it'll have a heavy thatcham approved chain on the rear, and a good disk lock on the front, and also thrown under a cover.

Good to know. The big problem is when you leave something like that elsewhere i.e. away from home

I had the carbon pillion seat cover nicked off my old Ducati when it was parked up in Oxford city centre. It used to get crowds of tourists touching and fiddling with it too, t*ssers :mad:

Last edited:
Associate
LOL I was too busy looking at the bike & I scrolled the screen down so the top 1/4 of that picture wasn't visible = didn't really take the open garage in. I thought the brown box in there was a wheelie bin :D

Good to know. The big problem is when you leave something like that elsewhere i.e. away from home

I had the carbon pillion seat cover nicked off my old Ducati when it was parked up in Oxford city centre. It used to get crowds of tourists touching and fiddling with it too, t*ssers :mad:

always use a cover if you can.

Back
Top Bottom