My pics

Soldato
OP
Pretty tired! Went out for a road trip over the weekend, drove to Arizona, stopping off via Trona in California to photograph "Trona pinnacles" followed by White Pocket in Arizona - one of my favourite places, :)

Trona pinnacles;

XMOqNi6.jpg

White Pocket 1;

QlkvYoR.jpg

White Pocket 2;

1PaQlO9.jpg

White Pocket 3;

rpL8s2Y.jpg

White Pocket 4;

you0f9P.jpg

White pocket is notoriously difficult to get to, it's right out in the middle of the paria plateau where temperatures often reach 40 degrees, most of the roads are very deep sand - so it requires high clearance, real 4x4, air'ed down tyres, etc, unfortunately people still don't really read the advice and decide to "have a go" like this elderly couple did in their Porsche Cayenne,

I couldn't get them out in my Jeep (red one) took two other people with various ropes and techniques to get them out, (some navajo guy with a monster truck succeeded in the end) god knows what would have happened if it had been a week day with not many people around..

yxdUzSa.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Went out again this weekend, couldn't resist it :D

Went back to Death Valley - this time I stopped off for the night at the Eureka dunes - the tallest sand dunes in the US - 700ft high from the desert floor, jesus christ - I've climbed some tough mountains in my life, but this was very hard - with my camera pack trying to get up there was horrendous - on all fours trying to scramble up, the view at the top was worth it though!

DiL4rWE.jpg

Next stop was Badwater Basin, 278 feet below sea level - the salt flats are amazing, you have to walk out a good few miles before the patterns start to emerge, it's pretty cool out there later when all the coach fodder has gone - just out there by myself with my trust keen kanteen full of water, watching satellites and shooting stars fly over

vYuE58O.jpg

Soldato
OP
Just arrived at Yosemite, here for 5 days - quite excited, long drive from Santa Monica,

Stopped off at Sequoia national park where I found this nice rock, it was screaming to be photographed

jTMUt5u.jpg

Soldato
OP
You've a great eye for composition and light - another stunner.

Thanks guys! <3

Going back home back to the UK on Sunday, so had one final road trip - was with someone else so didn't get to dedicate as much time to photography, we went to Yosemite and also checked out Bodie state park - a real ghost town, and mono lake.

Yosemite was impressive, but I hated the valley - the views and scenery are breathtaking, but it's just one big freeway and traffic jam, people who can't drive blocking the place up with their SUVs, endless coaches and other BS - I thought it was really bad, we went to the Tuolumne meadows on the Tioga pass - which was much quieter, and very very nice,

If you're ever in the area I also highly suggest checking out Bodie - it's a large ghost town, highly authentic with most of the original stuff in place, not a silly tourist attraction like most of the others, it's the real deal as far as ghost towns go. We crammed a bit too much stuff in and actually wish we'd spent a lot more time at Bodie - it really is a bit of a hidden gem.

Mono lake is also very cool - but very hard to photograph, it was crawling with other photographers when I was there which usually screws me up a bit, most people tend to do a panoramic of the pinnacles, Kinda wish I'd scouted out a better spot - again, we crammed too much in :D

Yosemite Tuolumne meadows

hZHywWb.jpg

Bodie ghost town

KBXk5fS.jpg

Mono lake

otUGYdO.jpg

Soldato
OP
Thanks man!

Back in Dublin for a week now before heading back home, laying here jetlagged to high hell unable to sleep :E

Plenty of panos to stitch and process though, I much prefer the panoramic I took from Tuolumne meadows,

Xw364hk.jpg

Back
Top Bottom