My silly old overpriced Nissan thread. S15 content here.

Where are you getting your wheels done?

I want to get my winter wheels refurbed, they were sort of refurbed by the last owner (in gloss black) but they haven't lasted well, was a bit of a rush job (tyre weren't even taken off the rims etc).

What don't you like about the BCs as well? I like my Meister Rs (which are made in the same factory as the BCs by all accounts) but it did take a while before I found settings that I liked.

What Falken's are they Clarkey? Got ZE914 on the S2000 and they aren't great.

912 I think, not what my personal choice would be, but they came on the stock tiny wheels with good tread.

What's roughly the power/weight ratio?
Surely not enough torque to break traction in snow?
~250bhp/tonne, I will give Monster tuning a tinkle tomorrow and see when they can dyno it.

Where are you getting your wheels done?

I want to get my winter wheels refurbed, they were sort of refurbed by the last owner (in gloss black) but they haven't lasted well, was a bit of a rush job (tyre weren't even taken off the rims etc).

What don't you like about the BCs as well? I like my Meister Rs (which are made in the same factory as the BCs by all accounts) but it did take a while before I found settings that I liked.

Being done at city powder coaters in brum, very cheap, expectations are low but still will be hugely better than I could do myself for little more money and infinitely less effort.

The suspension seems to have really poor damping, it's on the middle settings and the suspension still oscillates. The BMW has superb body control in comparison. I will get a better idea once I have proper wheels and tyres on and some time to faff with the settings.

I found my Meister R coilovers a bit bouncy when set to the softer settings, and lacking in body control. Theres a huge range of adjustment but the very softest settings don't seem much use to me.

Got mine set to 10 front and 9 rear (thats clicks from the softest setting) and its quite nice on the road, pretty compliant and still well controlled, but any softer on the back and it just feels a bit wallowy and poorly controlled. Totally different car I know....but took me a while to figure them out.

Had them set to six clicks from softest when I first got the car, with the soggy feeling winter tyres on...not pleasant! I initially thought I'd made a mistake but a proper alignment and mess with the settings and they're a lot better.

Well, my dad did. It's the car that sparked my interest in cars and it has a lot of sentimental value to me. I'll be sad to see it go, it's going to a good friend though so I will still see it and be able to have the occasional drive of it.

If you need stuff powder coating in Birmingham go to Bournes in Digbeth. Family friend of mine, they knock a bit off for people I know. My wheels were still great after a few years :) Glad to see it's on the road btw. Well done !

Yeah, excellent to see you getting it up and running.

is the car running an uprated clutch or are you having troubles in traffic just down to the power of the car?

Looking forward to hear if you get on better with the BC coils when your alignment settings are where you want them though. Hopefully it will be the easiest and cheapest route for you rather than having to outlay for a new setup.
What other options do you have coilover wise for the s15?

I like the twin exhaust pipes over a massive angled can that everyone else goes for!

Plans for an RB26 conversion in the future perhaps?

Yeah, excellent to see you getting it up and running.

is the car running an uprated clutch or are you having troubles in traffic just down to the power of the car?

Looking forward to hear if you get on better with the BC coils when your alignment settings are where you want them though. Hopefully it will be the easiest and cheapest route for you rather than having to outlay for a new setup.
What other options do you have coilover wise for the s15?

It has an uprated clutch but it's a normal organic exedy one and drives just like stock. It doesn't disengage too well though, going to try bleeding it tomorrow, it's difficult to get in gear.
There isn't a problem in traffic really, it's just that it accelerates fiercely, 4.1 rear end in it :D I'm not used to it, the way it gains speed easily is such that I'm constantly looking down at the speedo and realising I should slow down. km/h is a bit confusing too.

I stiffened the rear shocks up and the pitching is reduced but still there. The HSD monopro in the BMW have never exhibited anything like this, no hint of bounce from full soft to hard. Seems like not enough rebound damping to me, tomorrow I'll whack them to full and see what happens.

I like the twin exhaust pipes over a massive angled can that everyone else goes for!

Plans for an RB26 conversion in the future perhaps?

You'll be disappointed then, because I have a massive angled can on it now :p It has an SR20 on the other end so it sounds awful, it does pop and flame nicely though.

I have no plans to put a 6 cylinder in.

I put the bucket seat in, but this Bride rail I have is pants, it's even higher than the stock seat, totally stupid. Another job for tomorrow is to make new side mount brackets to take it as low as it can go.

I have some s14a parts laying around the shed you can have for nothing if it will help. I have a set of HSD coilovers from driftworks, the problem is the fronts are brand new and unused but the rear are used and knock on the rear right but if you cam get it rebuilt, it's a cheap option for you. I also have a set of standard wheels you can have.

I have some s14a parts laying around the shed you can have for nothing if it will help. I have a set of HSD coilovers from driftworks, the problem is the fronts are brand new and unused but the rear are used and knock on the rear right but if you cam get it rebuilt, it's a cheap option for you. I also have a set of standard wheels you can have.

I might make you an offer on the HSD's, but next month. Thanks :)

Found out the knocking issue, turns out I had neglected to torque up the wheel nuts when I swapped the wheels, the rear left had 4 loose nuts :eek:

The fuel gauge is pretty sketchy in it, typical jap. If it's to be believed then I'm pretty much using the same as the 328 did over the 140km I've done, happy days.

Last edited:
I might make you an offer on the HSD's, but next month. Thanks :)

As I said, you are welcome to have them for nowt. All I want is someone to collect them as I can't be bothered to package them up and post them. I was going to put them up on SXOC for someone to collect for free anyway so it's up to you if you want them.

As I said, you are welcome to have them for nowt. All I want is someone to collect them as I can't be bothered to package them up and post them. I was going to put them up on SXOC for someone to collect for free anyway so it's up to you if you want them.

They's very generous, I'll say yes then :) Contact details in your trust?

My 14a is loose as a goose with the original wheels on the rear. Makes a much better drive with the 9.5inch on the back! Car looks real nice mate :) Congrats

Driven it a bit more now, done a couple of runs of a favourite road and figured it out a bit. Surprised that even on the shonky tyres with wonky camber, I was able to match the corner speeds of the 328, I guess because the car is a bunch lighter. Traction is a real struggle though and you have to micro-manage the throttle to keep it in check. Tyres, LSD and alignment will help no end I'm sure though.

They's very generous, I'll say yes then :) Contact details in your trust?

Yep, just email and arrange some time to pick them up. I can only do Friday to Sunday though as I work away from home Monday to Thursday.

Edit: I'm really sorry, just went to check they are ok in the shed but found out only the fronts are there. I think the missus has binned the rears last time she went to the tip. You are welcome to the fronts but I doubt they are much good to you without the rears.

Last edited:
Never mind, might still take you up on that I'll think about it.

Anyway, today had a go at fixing the knock sensor fault that kept coming on. Think I had a bad connection on the 2 small engine grounds because the plenum had been painted. Cleaned it up, cleared the code, took it for a quick spin and it didn't come back so I think that's fixed.
For those that don't know cranky old Nissans, code 34 forces it to run the knock maps all the time, which afaik pulls 5 degrees timing all the way through the range, sucks power anyway.

Went to pick up the wheels to be told they had to re-do them because it reacted or some BS like that. Ready tomorrow apparently, not happy.

Wanted to get diff in, guy is ill :(

On the upside, managed to successfully re drill the side mounts, got the seat as low as it will go on this rail now and it's WAY better, quite happy with it now.

Back
Top Bottom