My silly old overpriced Nissan thread. S15 content here.

ABS problem is solved, in the end I just took the plugs off the Spec S loom and plugged it into the existing computer and that seems to be working, ABS malfunction light comes on and off as it should.
1656290_804033660765_1852551559_n.jpg

Turns out the plug difference is not to do with Spec S and R difference, rather a model year thing. Mine is a late model with 85F20 unit, the loom is from an early model with 91F00 unit. At some point the ABS units changed over from 85F00/91F00 to 85F20/91F20. The 85 ones Spec S and 91 Spec R, plugs are the same for both 00's and both 20's.

I looked up the check engine light behaviour in the manual and it is normal for it to stay lit until the engine is started so I'll assume there is no problem there.

Took the sump off the other day to swap it for one in much better condition. The oil pickup looks a little dubious so I am going to replace it with a new one, this has set back the oil filling situation. Has given me a little time to sort out the oil pressure switch though, the S15 switch connector doesn't fit onto the S14 switch so I guess I'll just swap the switches over.

I'm going to need a boost gauge for it, saw this one and it looks really handy with the oil temp on there too. Depo any good or a load of tat?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360649231917?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Quite a few bits have happened but I suppose running the engine is a milestone so that'll be todays update.

Waited ages for the new oil strainer to come from Japan, it arrived a few days ago. Fitted that last night, got the oils and water in, finished the little wiring jobs and had a go at starting it.

Problems though, it's a total and utter arse to start, and idles like a bag of nails once you finally get it to run.
:(

This is with the MAF disconnected hence the 1500rpm idle and 2500 limiter. As you can see though, it runs fine like this.
At first, I was holding it at 3000rpm for a while to try and get some fuel flowing through it nicely (some oil went in the injectors while lubing the O rings), and even then occasionaly the revs would just die then come back up again while holding the throttle steady. I don't know WTF is going on, maybe there is an injector problem?

I think it's the MAF. Figured I would try the one off the NA engine. This is a different part number and doesn't match the ECU, but had a crack anyway. Runs a lot smoother with that one on, and starts every time. BUT, rev the engine up and it will stall on the way back down.
I'm going to borrow another 69f01 MAF off a friends car and see how that one goes. I also changed the idle air valve back to the original one, it is different to the one off the NA motor, it didn't make any difference though.

Turns out it was due to a highly complex fuelling issue. The tank was empty lol, I dumped a couple of cans of high octane in and now it starts perfect.

/redface.

Not long until you'll have this running properly now... The big roundabouts at Perton were made for glorious sideways s15 turbocharged fury...! Or something like that.

There's still quite a list of stuff to do.

Accelerator cable is a biggy, the old one got snagged on the engine while lifting it out and it got wrecked, need one of these to be able to drive :p

Arch rolling, the rear arches are sitting on the tyres right now and it doesn't like it, this will need attention. Friend of a friend is meant to be lending me one but like most of these promises, it will probably be broken.

FMIC needs to come back off and be fitted properly, with some protection around the holes to save the pipes chaffing through.

Air filter, need one.

Alignment, it's yet to be seen if I will actually need the full adjustable arms to achieve nice settings at this height. Probably will tbh, will be a bonus if I can stay with stock arms and avoid problems associated with adjustables.

Tyres. Bought some AD08R, should be spiffing.

Wheel refurb, still not decided on colour, thinking light grey.

Dyno the engine to check everything is working within normal parameters, AFR is normal, isn't detting or whatever.

Install the LSD, also want to go for the nismo 12kgf/m overhaul kit before fitting. My BMW has an old worn out plate diff and it sucks balls, I don't want the same thing again.

The winter seems to be behind us now though, so I'm keen to push on and get it insured, registered and on the road within a month.

Not long until you'll have this running properly now... The big roundabouts at Perton were made for glorious sideways s15 turbocharged fury...! Or something like that.

Perhaps. The exhaust on this is devilishly loud though, I think the pear and partridge would turn into a spectator gallery too quickly ;)

Remind me though Will, what was that body shop you were telling me about? I need to get the skirts painted too.

I thought you'd have had a play on those roundabouts Clarkey haha. Good fun to be had there late at night.

The cheap body shop ive used is roger chetter body repairs on pountney st (near st johns retail park). A bloke called Denver is the painter, Roger is the gaffer though and is still there every day. Usually takes a couple of weeks to book work in with them as they are always pretty busy but they are very cheap indeed.. I cant fault the work I've seen or had done. I was recommended the place by someone whose used them for years and is quite fussy as well.

Last edited:
Fixed the idling problem, it was just turbulence from the fan interfering with the MAF. Now has a nice steady 850rpm idle and it doesn't make an absolute racket at that :)

Fixed the accelerator cable, it wasn't as broke as I first thought. This meant I could test pilot it. All I can say is the power is good, spins up 255 Pirellis in second for a laugh :D

The gear selector is not good though, really a pain to get it into gear, not surw what the issue is, it was fine with the old engine. :(

Water pump exploded, big shower. Just knew I should have replaced the pump before putting the engine in. Oh well, live and learn.. :(

Car is now on the road. Took it for alignment
10259806_821836159415_6061533805476817121_n.jpg

Not great, -3'15" is the best we could manage in the rear. Adjustable arms up next then.

Car has absolutely no traction on these 205/60/15 Falken zeix with an open rear end, it's awful. I feel that the BC coilovers are junk compared to the HSD I have on the BMW, I will look to change them out.

My AVS wheels are at the powder coaters now being refurbed, I chose a gunmetal colour in the end, not sure it was the right decision. I want Buddyclub P1's anyway so I'll be looking to change them. Back to A-line on Wednesday to have the AD08R fitted up.
I don't like the stock seat at all, sit up stupidly high, I will swap my bucket seat onto the Bride rail this weekend and hopefully woes will be gone, failing that I'll bolt the thing to the floor.
Ebay downpipe = not good, hitting the floor, needs fixing. Strange rear brake noise, in the garage tomorrow to investigate.

Overall though, the swapped engine runs without issue and delivers enough fire power to scare me, it's a LOT quicker than a 328! Tieing into the other thread, it's useless in daytime traffic, poke the gas a bit and you are immediately stepping on the brake to avoid ramming the car in front.

Back
Top Bottom