My silly old overpriced Nissan thread. S15 content here.

One of the cars that I would love to own, never be able to have one myself though unless I come into some (lots) of spare change. but enjoy it mate.

so the transmission is identical bar the diff then?

very interesting. certainly food for thought for anyone considering a turbo S15

is the turbo engine easy to obtain over here or is it just a case of waiting for a decent one to be subject to breaking?

Transmission wise the spec-r has a 6 speed and helical lsd. The 6 speed is well known to be prone to breaking, and swapping in the 5 speed is popular, the helical diff is also known for being a bit rubbish and everyone swaps them for plated diffs. The actual diff casing and driveshafts are the same though.

Engines are relatively easy to obtain, many have been rebuilt though and I have a deep mistrust of rebuilt engines so will avoid. There's one for sale up in Buxton for a good price, I was going to leave the engine purchase until the new year but who knows I might buy that one tomorrow :p

I can sort of see what you're trying to achieve I love all things JDM but its not a project I would ever dream of going through with I would just end up going for a car that has everything out of the box, you must really love S15's as this is some commitment but if it turns out anything like the S15 doing the rounds in the magazines at the moment then that would be awesome (Green ex F&F S15 that's been completely transformed)

I am really looking forward to it develop though, is it a daily?

Last edited:
It's not that big of a project, everything is totally compatible and simply bolts in, I've done all of this stuff before with BMWs.

I would love an SR20 Figaro for some giggles.

£1500 to import doesn't seem too bad going by how clean that is, my 14 year old Almera in comparison is rusty as ****.

I would love to import a skyline or evo at one point but it seems a hassle. Fastest car I've been in was my mates Gtr.

Moo8vPY.jpg

Honestly the import process was no hassle.

Goes like this..

• Find your dealer/agent in Japan and find the car you are looking for.
  • Discuss details, negotiate price and terms, pay.
  • Dealer/agent sorts out everything to do with exporting from Japan and gets it on the boat.
  • Organise a shipping agent in the UK to deal with all the red tape.
  • Wait
  • Couple of days before the ship comes in, you'll be invoiced by the shipping line and your agent, pay the bill.
  • Within a couple of days of arrival you should receive customs clearance, mine was cleared before the ship was even unloaded.
  • Collect car from docks, or your agent can arrange delivery to your door.

Then, providing it's over 10 years old, you just need to MOT it, insure it and then register it with DVLA. You will need to fit a rear fog for the MOT, and you will get 6 months tax with the registration.

SR20DET, R32 GTR brakes (Twin piston rears too if they fit) and a LSD and it will be perfect. Totally understand your reasoning as a turbo is a hell of a lot more expensive.

Maybe consider a SR20VE head and make it a old skool twist to the GT86 but with a 8k red line ;).

Which agent(s) are good in Japan?

Only one I can seem to find for UK is torque gt

Not looking to do anything yet but certainly interested in a few Jap cars such as Skyline & Silvia

Back
Top Bottom