My silly old overpriced Nissan thread. S15 content here.

A question for you guys, I need to install a rear fog light for MOT purposes.

Now, I'm absolutely not going to have one of those stupid box ones hanging under the bumper, no way. Second option is to lose one of the reversing lights and put a red bulb in, but I don't really like that option either.
The tail lights have 2 tail/brake combo bulbs either side. I was thinking that I could set up some wiring/relay business in order to use the 21w side of the inner offside bulb as the fog. It would then operate as a normal tail/brake almost all of the time but be on brightly for the fog leaving 4 other brake light bulbs still working. In fact while braking it would be lit up exactly as it would anyway.

I can't see any reason why this configuration wouldn't be legal, can you?

A question for you guys, I need to install a rear fog light for MOT purposes.

Now, I'm absolutely not going to have one of those stupid box ones hanging under the bumper, no way. Second option is to lose one of the reversing lights and put a red bulb in, but I don't really like that option either.
The tail lights have 2 tail/brake combo bulbs either side. I was thinking that I could set up some wiring/relay business in order to use the 21w side of the inner offside bulb as the fog. It would then operate as a normal tail/brake almost all of the time but be on brightly for the fog leaving 4 other brake light bulbs still working. In fact while braking it would be lit up exactly as it would anyway.

I can't see any reason why this configuration wouldn't be legal, can you?

I have done the same thing on my Celica import but it lights up both the right and left side for aesthetics. (I also modified my UK primera fog lights to be tail lights as well but that needed new bulb holders and was a little more complex.)

All you need is a fog light switch wired up to the bright part of your brake light bulb with a couple of one way diodes to stop any interference from the brake circuit when switched on. Live feed taken from side lights for the switch. Simples.

Why not? Just remove it when it's passed the MOT.

It looks gash thats why not to mention illegal. You could also find a parts bin Nissan fog light switch or stalk (If you can find one that fits) for the ultimate finish.

Last edited:
That sounds the best way to do the fog light, i know with DC5's most people just convert one of the reversing lights but that's not perfect. Very annoyingly the one i bought some muppet had cut a hole in the bumper to mount a very ugly cheap fog light :(

I'll start with the negative (Sorry). I don't understand why you didn't get a Spec-R? Unless you get some cracking prices on parts, it just seems that mid to long term you are going to come out worse. I'm talking financially not just about the badge.

S15 SR20DET is more powerful than the S14's variant for a start (so S15 engine's have a premium). I assume you are going to need AT LEAST a GT28RS to get to 325bhp.
You'll need all the electronic gubbins as well, you might need a custom exhaust.
Different diff.
More bracing (Drifters comment that the S15 Spec R feels like an S14 with a cage).
Better brakes.
Better gearbox (Some think the 6 speed is weaker though).
Has a body kit (Which also means you'd probably need a paint job)

Let me say here.. I LOVE S15's. I've had S13/S14a myself, a long time member of SXOC, a (probably 'ex' now lol) committee member is sitting about 15 metres away from me at the moment. Are you sure you worked out the price difference correctly?

BTW: Look to sell the N/A engine to someone in the Primera Clubs.

All that aside:

I'd work on suspension first. Coils (or something milder like tein replacements), locking collars (MASSIVE difference) and possibly some ARB's.
Brakes next. Obviously you are in 300ZX circles, so that should be a nice cheap upgrade to 4 pots.
Engine last. You might actual find it's cheaper to get something like an LS1 V8 in there.

Make a plan Clarkey... I've lost count of the number of years said committee member has his S15 sat in a garage undergoing work, dipping, resprays, more stripdowns, more work, quick release fronts, tubbing arches etc etc... and not to actually drive it.

Also.. pics.. I demand more sexy pics.

p.s. Forgot to say, get that underside protected asap, or your investment will be looking pretty bad really quick. (I'm guessing you have done this before.. but just in case).

Last edited:
325bhp is a very bad target.

the 444 injectors will max at about 320, the t28r probably the same.

best bet is to get 300 on the dot, its the best reliable/modded goal to aim for.

if you want 325bhp your going to need 555's and probably a GT28, and for that money you might as well go for a GT2871r and go stage 3a at 350bhp.

325bhp is a very bad target.

the 444 injectors will max at about 320, the t28r probably the same.

best bet is to get 300 on the dot, its the best reliable/modded goal to aim for.

if you want 325bhp your going to need 555's and probably a GT28, and for that money you might as well go for a GT2871r and go stage 3a at 350bhp.

Not been in the scene for a long while, is jez still doing the modified CPU's? (Which is the simplest route to take).

I'll start with the negative (Sorry). I don't understand why you didn't get a Spec-R? Unless you get some cracking prices on parts, it just seems that mid to long term you are going to come out worse. I'm talking financially not just about the badge.

I know what I'm getting into.

S15 SR20DET is more powerful than the S14's variant for a start (so S15 engine's have a premium). I assume you are going to need AT LEAST a GT28RS to get to 325bhp.

Motor is the same, extra power is just from more boost and better IC. I will have a nice turbo/FMIC/nistune anyway. Btw you don't need a disco for 325, the s15 t28r will do it. I have some plans for something more experimental though.

You'll need all the electronic gubbins as well, you might need a custom exhaust.

Zenki S14 ECU with nistune board, easily done. Exhaust I already have, but only the rear section is s15 specific.

Different diff.

Helical not really for me, it will have a clutch type diff no doubt about it.

More bracing (Drifters comment that the S15 Spec R feels like an S14 with a cage).

They are slightly delusional IMO. As I said though it's all bolt on, if I can pick up the bits I will fit them.

Better brakes.

Sumitomo 4 pots are 10 a penny, not a big deal at all.

Better gearbox (Some think the 6 speed is weaker though).

It is weaker, no doubt about it. I don't care about 6 speed nor do you need it with a torquey engine.

Has a body kit (Which also means you'd probably need a paint job)

Actually Spec-R does not come with any aero as standard, the options are exactly the same as Spec-S

Let me say here.. I LOVE S15's. I've had S13/S14a myself, a long time member of SXOC, a (probably 'ex' now lol) committee member is sitting about 15 metres away from me at the moment. Are you sure you worked out the price difference correctly?

Quite sure. Oh and I've been on SXOC, the place is a ghost town.

BTW: Look to sell the N/A engine to someone in the Primera Clubs.

Already have an interested buyer, also there are significant differences between the RWD and FWD SR's

All that aside:

I'd work on suspension first. Coils (or something milder like tein replacements), locking collars (MASSIVE difference) and possibly some ARB's.
Brakes next. Obviously you are in 300ZX circles, so that should be a nice cheap upgrade to 4 pots.
Engine last. You might actual find it's cheaper to get something like an LS1 V8 in there.

That is exactly the plan, Full adjustable arms is pretty much a requirement though, and a thirsty V8 is a no-go for what will be a daily driver. Plan/order is irrelevant though, it won't get put into use until it's fully up to spec.

Make a plan Clarkey... I've lost count of the number of years said committee member has his S15 sat in a garage undergoing work, dipping, resprays, more stripdowns, more work, quick release fronts, tubbing arches etc etc... and not to actually drive it.

Also.. pics.. I demand more sexy pics.

They will come when there is more progress.

p.s. Forgot to say, get that underside protected asap, or your investment will be looking pretty bad really quick. (I'm guessing you have done this before.. but just in case).

Waiting for my delivery from Bilt Hamber

Oh, and no RB for me. If I were going to put a boat anchor of an engine in, it would be a 1JZ. When I find a good SR20DET I will buy, they are not easy to find though.

Thanks for the advice re. the lights, I will go ahead with that plan :)

Last edited:
Having driven several s15's and owned two s14a's, they are a much nicer drive. As mentioned already the stiffer chassis, better diff, faster spooling turbo and 6 speed box made it feel such a nice drive. Shame they haven't depreciated as much as s14's as I still want one but 8-10k gets a lot of other car now!

Enjoy your purchase, I think sxoc is slowing down now as the cars are getting no younger, being crashed or broken for parts etc sadly. Some really helpful and friendly people on there though.

Back
Top Bottom