My silly old overpriced Nissan thread. S15 content here.

Not been in the scene for a long while, is jez still doing the modified CPU's? (Which is the simplest route to take).

Yea jez is still top banana, i wouldnt trust anyone else,

Sxoc isnt a ghost town, its a fantastic website, i spend most my time in s14 technical (under same board name) and theres always local meets in your area.

There was a big thread about spec R vs spec S and upgrading to spec R and i think the result was, its cheaper to buy a spec R in the first place.

Ive never understood the spec S, even with plans to upgrade to R performance. You could have always bought an s14 and modded it, or even bought it already modded and still had change and it will be a lot better then a spec s silvia.

If i was you,

I would aim for 300bhp which is fairly easy and quite cheap, and slap an auto diff on (3.9) im running this in my s14 and its a fantastic set up.

Visit apex performance and get yourself some coilovers (read about their stiffness, they have quite the range so you can buy a set perfect for your driving style and conditions)
Apex bushed adjustable arms are a good shout, i have these and cant fault them, i read they were a better buy then driftworks alternative but have no proof of this statement.

Everyone surjests anti roll bars, i managed to get god speed ones in a group buy, but i cant say wether they made much of a difference because i did my adjustable arms, springs, bushes and rollbars while it was off the road over last winter and when it was set up, the whole thing felt fantastic but cant pin point what did what, just the outcome of everything was awesome :D.

Last edited:
Second option is to lose one of the reversing lights and put a red bulb in, but I don't really like that option either.

Why not use a silver bulb that lights up red? or a LED bulb? In either case it would look perfectly normal aesthetically, the difference would only be visible when the reversing light or fog was actually on. I used the LED bulb option on a Prelude and the silver bulb option on a 1JZ Supra and and both looked completely stock without the relevant lights actually on.

Do you have another car to use day to day while your tatting around with this?

Might be a pain when the inevitable happens and something goes wrong on a Sunday and you need parts overnight from Japan to get to work on Monday?

Its not what I would have done personally but good luck to you, I hope it doesn't turn into a money pit you will never get a return from.

Its about 70kgs for an engine that will give 500bhp on stock internals.

No tuner in the history of the world has ever stuck a big engine in a small light car and thought it was a good idea right?

What on the moon? No way in hell a RB weighs 70kgs. It's also around double the weight of the SR20DE with more engine hanging over the front axle. No tuner in the history of the world has stuck a RB in a Silvia and expected it to handle as well as it did with it's original engine. RB'ed silvia's are for drifting and willy waving contests which take away from the pureness of driving a light weight Japanese sports coupe.

I think Clarkey's intention with this is to bring a lovely condition car up to a higher model spec in a tastefully done way, staying true to the ethos of the S15, hence his highlighted plans for the build.

I am fairly certain that if he doesnt want some toyota/nissan frankenstein and if he wanted an RB powered car, he would have purchased a skyline instead.

I think Clarkey's intention with this is to bring a lovely condition car up to a higher model spec in a tastefully done way, staying true to the ethos of the S15, hence his highlighted plans for the build.

I am fairly certain that if he doesnt want some toyota/nissan frankenstein and if he wanted an RB powered car, he would have purchased a skyline instead.

This ^

Quite. I won't lie though, I will miss the inline 6 sound. I have nothing against cross brand engine swaps though and would always choose a JZ over an RB. There is a big weight difference though, all alu 4 pot vs cast 6 pot, and the front axle is set back quite a way on an S chassis compared with a BMW for example, 6pot just doesn't really work out too favourably.

@Berger, yeah will continue to use the bmw until this is complete, there's no rush.

Fog switch arrived so will try to crack on with that tonight, expecting some more stuff to arrive today also.

Almost impulse bought a set of HSD DT last night, I have the posh monotube ones on the e36 though and it just doesn't sit right with me to have an inferior product on this car. I will hold out for a good deal on those. I want to avoid buying new tbh, did that last time and though you get 12mo warranty that way, they only start going wrong outside of that anyway.

Well, I ditched the hamburger, took ages in the end, the glue was a PITA.

Before
20131025_122811.jpg

After
20131104_1639041.jpg

What do you think?

Also did some more claying and while doing that, the delivery guy showed up with this :)
20131104_1643311.jpg

Earlier on, while fixing the battery charger, the sun was shining directly onto the front of the car. I noticed a fair bit of stone rash on it so I might send that to the paint shop and have it repainted. I need the skirts doing and want the headlight lenses clearcoated too so could be added to the list. That's one of the great things about having a black one, it isn't even metallic so I have no worries about colour match, pearl would be a nightmare.

Clarkey where do you use for your bodywork repairs/spraying in Wolves? I have used Coven Body Repairs before and they are excellent but expensive. Lately I have been using Roger Chetter Body Repairs in Blakenhall though, the work is just as good but very cheap - its a guy called Denver who does the painting.

Sounds worth a shot, never used a shop around here myself. My sisters e46 had some work done at Coven though and it's the best work I've seen. Silver car and you literally can't tell it's had work done no matter how closely you look. I had another shop quote me to paint the front end on the BMW over Willenhall way and that was half what Coven said.

I will try your guy, thanks for the recommendation.

[TW]Fox;25244957 said:
I dont understand, why don't you want people to know it's a Nissan?

99% of the people in England will just think it's some piece of old Japanese tat anyway.

Not keen on the rear lights or black wheels but I do like these cars, look retro cool; kind of like R32/R33 Skylines.

You read way too much into it, I just don't like how the badge looks. It would be counter intuitive to remove it so people don't know it's a Nissan. You will just get people asking you what it is and then you have to tell them it's only a Nissan. This happens a lot with the 300zx which doesn't have any Nissan branding on. I don't mind at all, nobody would ever start a conversation with you at the pumps when you are in a BMW.

Back
Top Bottom