My thermal flask test thread.

Soldato
It is a close call regarding thermos ultimate 900ml vs the Stanley master vacuum bottle 1300ml

If this is rubbish please let me know

remind us, do you have 1300ml of fluid in the stanley , and 900ml in Mr.T ... if so that does impact experiment quality -
(apart from, personally, not usually wanting additional weight, or 1.3L coffee quantity)
the bigger flask with smaller (to volume) relative surface area/stopper size, should, construction being equal, keep full capacity contents hotter;
if you were able to scale up the T then, they might behave identically.

you could work out the energy loss / Joules, of the fluid in both flasks, and Mr T could be 'superior'. ?

... if you experimented with just 900ml in the stanley, that might be interesting.

Soldato
if you work it out the heat loss shown on the stanley are higher about 2.4W versus 2.1W for thermos,

if you had filled the stanley with just 900ml and left for 12hours it would be about 69C versus 73 you found for thermos.

Soldato
The Thermos Cafe certainly does look like the best bang for the buck. For me, I like having a strap and carry handle which mine provides.

Thats what mine is, at least I think it is its so old any lettering has long since worn off but it certainly looks like the pictures. Its old, dinged, bashed and battered so many times it leans at an angle when standing upright as the plate isn't level anymore, still keeps everything hot though.

Soldato
Thats what mine is, at least I think it is its so old any lettering has long since worn off but it certainly looks like the pictures. Its old, dinged, bashed and battered so many times it leans at an angle when standing upright as the plate isn't level anymore, still keeps everything hot though.

Yep, probably is the same one. It's a good flask, but they dent easily. My first arrived with a dented top cap. They sent me another, was also dented on the top cap. They sent me a third one, the cap was fine but the base was broken. In the end they gave me a full refund and I still had 3 flasks. :D I gave one away to a neighbour and kept the one with broken base and one with a dented cap. I put the undented cap with the unbroken flask and finally had a reasonably pristine thermos. :p

Associate
OP
I get the feeling flasks like the yeti or perhaps the tkpro which did not do so well with my freezer test might be solely designed for hot environments or room temperature and do much better there, whereas the Stanley i think is designed to be a all rounder where it does very well both in the freezer, room temperature and a very hot environment.

The reason why i think that is the thermos thermocafe, it was 65c in the freezer at 12 hours and 78c at 12 hours at room temperature, which is a much bigger difference of 13c when you take 78c - 65c which is 13c, whereas the stanley is much less, which means the thermocafe is doing better than the Stanley at room temperature, because the difference is more than double that of the stanley regarding the 13c difference of the thermocafe.

The reason why i tested the thermocafe is because it did well in the freezer and for the money as well which is why i tested that at room temperature.

I am holding back on testing other wise i would lose it heh.

Dan.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have got a Forever Flask, not had much chance to use it still

Looks good, i think you made a good purchase there.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/forever-flask-vacuum-flask-food-container-mug#/

84128099_10157966415817375_4018624568984862720_o.jpg

Very competitive it i think may give the Stanley master flask a run for it's money as well as other competing thermal flasks.

Also it is a 1000ml flask.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the only reason I would replace my Stanley stainless is if I lost it, lifetime guarantee and its been dropped on rocks regularly, took it out yesterday but didn't drink it all and still steaming when I cleaned before work this morning

Man of Honour
My wife used to take a bottle of chilled water to bed as she often woke up feeling thirsty.
If she took a swig at 06.30 it was still cold but not chilled.
After reading about them in this thread I bought her a Chilly bottle, inscribed with her name.
The water in it is still ice cold when she gets up, and I now have a large sack of Brownie points.

Caporegime
I can’t believe I’ve finally felt the need to use this thread. Without learning everything about flasks, which had the best cost to performance ratio?
camping kettle + tea light wins everytime.

combine it with something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raclette-Foldable-Non-Stick-Tealight-tealights/dp/B082WDB5XS

you could probably cook a burger on that bro... you can get ones for chocolate too.

why use a flask you can buy the things you need to boil liquid and cook food for the same price and it's more fun

Back
Top Bottom