My thermal flask test thread.

Associate
OP
Ive already said my stanley is amazing and a lifetime guarantee but there is room for a little improvement as i can feel a little warmth through the screw stopper thingy ,still gives me hot tea after many hours ,just saying ,for ultimate

Well being realistic, 6 - 12 hours after you have filled it up with boiling water it will still be piping hot.

6-12 hours is ample time for most people and yea the Stanley will definitely do the job there the classic legend that i am testing, i don't know what Stanley you have though so i can't comment on how well it keeps the temperature hot or cold from the results that i post here first hand.

Either way we will find out how hot the Stanley legend classic will be when i post results around about midnight, i think roughly it will be likely to be piping hot albeit a few degrees lower from the 6 hr test, so take that with a pinch of salt until i post the evidence/results.

Or if your outlandish you want a flask that will give your hot fluid (hot as possible)for at least 24 hours.

All these flasks are being tested at room temperature of around 18c.

Dan.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ive already said my stanley is amazing and a lifetime guarantee but there is room for a little improvement as i can feel a little warmth through the screw stopper thingy ,still gives me hot tea after many hours ,just saying ,for ultimate

One cannot simply go off of a recommendation at this point. The thread has spoken and right now scientific proof as well as other physics and thermo dynamics mumblings are required in order to keep your tea at appropriate temperature for exactly 24 hours. I'm excited for the results.

Soldato
do any of the metal ones actually have a vacuum .... ? I've never looked on utube to see if some one band-sawed one in half
titanium, obviously, might be stronger to support a vacuum.

pre-heating / warming - everyone does that in real life, no ? ... it's only if you're camping or in a refuge that you might not.

Soldato
Well being realistic, 6 - 12 hours after you have filled it up with boiling water it will still be piping hot.

6-12 hours is ample time for most people and yea the Stanley will definitely do the job there the classic legend that i am testing, i don't know what Stanley you have though so i can't comment on how well it keeps the temperature hot or cold from the results that i post here first hand.

Either way we will find out how hot the Stanley legend classic will be when i post results around about midnight, i think roughly it will be likely to be piping hot albeit a few degrees lower from the 6 hr test, so take that with a pinch of salt until i post the evidence/results.

Or if your outlandish you want a flask that will give your hot fluid (hot as possible)for at least 24 hours.

Dan.
yes agreed on that time scale ,i usually make 7am and my last cup maybe 4pm ,its a massively important content of my rucksack ,no wonder im enjoying the thread so much

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Are you ensuring the lids are all removed for exactly the same amount of time when dipping for temperature?

Perhaps another 24hr test where you stagger the starts with 5 minute increments and then only check the temp at the 24hr mark of each :D

Also, I'd feel happier with the accuracy if you did a minimum of 3 tests and then take the average.

Soldato
Excellent. I agree, three tests would be good and take an average. It's interesting the gap between them all seemed to happen in the first 6 hours and didn't change a huge amount in the next 18 hours?

Can we please have -

a) Amazon links to the flasks being tested
b) Amazon links to equipment used (Just the thermometer I guess, no need for the kettle!)
c) Google Sheet shared with results on. (inc product, with link, price and size)

:)

Soldato
I work out doors all day long and in th current wet cold weather I rely heavily on my travel kettle, (I have a 2kw inverter in the van) but a decent flask would save me time waiting for a 500ml kettle to boil. Really liking this thread but as above need links please!

Soldato
I have decided to make a thread about thermal flask bottles, which are designed to keep your liquid hot or cold over many hours.

Thank the Lord for this thread, this is what OcUK is all about. If you're not a Man of Honour 24hrs after the final test results are posted, then there's no justice in this world.

God bless you, OP. Bless you to smithereens.

Soldato
just thinking when the flask is in use a volume of hot water is regularly replaced with a volume of ambient air some heat loss has to occur ,i guess having one of the top performing flasks offsets this unavailable situation to a certain extent

Soldato
just thinking when the flask is in use a volume of hot water is regularly replaced with a volume of ambient air some heat loss has to occur ,i guess having one of the top performing flasks offsets this unavailable situation to a certain extent
Are you saying we should look for the flask with a Gucci belt?

Soldato
Excellent. I agree, three tests would be good and take an average. It's interesting the gap between them all seemed to happen in the first 6 hours and didn't change a huge amount in the next 18 hours?

Can we please have -

b) Amazon links to equipment used (Just the thermometer I guess, no need for the kettle!)
c) Google Sheet shared with results on. (inc product, with link, price and size)

I reckon warming the flasks with a swill of hot water might eliminate some of the initial heat transfer.

Please can this be included in the above? It'll be good to know if it's worth doing because I always do it.

Associate
OP

Can we please have -

Thermometer https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LXI5HYH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thermos ultimate 900ml - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013YMS8RM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Stanley classic legend 1 litre - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07P6D1QG5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Klean kanteen tk pro 1 litre - https://www.kleankanteen.co.uk/coll...ated-tkpro-32oz-1000ml?variant=12569959497802 or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Klean-Kant...anteen+tkpro&qid=1579432193&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1
sigg hot and cold 1 litre- i can't find the appropriate link

What do you mean by c which is google sheet?

Soldato
Please can this be included in the above? It'll be good to know if it's worth doing because I always do it.

But what about those that don't do this? Surely you could do your own test for this. Once without and once with... As long as OP's tests are all uniform, that's what's important surely? In fact, introducing other stages introduces more variables which could skew results.

What do you mean by c which is google sheet?

Like this. Let me know if you want to and I'll give you edit access. I can add in a second and third run tests and make it show averages.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I have a chillys bottle which keeps my drinks either hot or cold. Seems to be pretty decent albeit pricey for what it is.

Yeh I’m a hipster with the bright funky coloured bottle :p

Bright coloured hipster Chillys bottle you say....

Here’s mine. It was fantastic filled with iced drinks when walking around the Med this summer.

chillys-1.jpg

chillys-2.jpg

chillys-3.jpg

Soldato
I think that's basically what I have and was reasonably impressed when it had coffee in it last week, but not amazed. But then, it only states 12 hours for hot where as these ones tested claim 24 hours, so I expect it wouldn't test as well. I am thinking to buy the official thread thermometer and test mine :)

Back
Top Bottom