NASA space shuttle spots a UFO

It could be a weather balloon, but in all honesty I think it will be a malfunction with the camera, a piece for dust bouncing around inside of it, but oh well never mind eh?

KaHn

I was thinking spy plane at first as well, but a little math told me otherwise. If you figure the highest altitude at under 100,000 ft. (typically 80-90,000 feet) for a spy plane, it is clearly impossible to see from the ground. Commercial aircraft fly between 30 and 40,000 ft., the latter of which appears to be just a speck to the naked eye, sans jetstream.

The shuttle orbit right now is about 300km (982,080 ft.) So that would be like trying to see an aircraft 900,000 feet away - 22.5 times further than a commerical aircraft from us on the ground.

So in conclusion, not likely a spy plane. Nor any terrestrial craft for that matter, especially a weather balloon.

Raist said:
I was thinking spy plane at first as well, but a little math told me otherwise. If you figure the highest altitude at under 100,000 ft. (typically 80-90,000 feet) for a spy plane, it is clearly impossible to see from the ground. Commercial aircraft fly between 30 and 40,000 ft., the latter of which appears to be just a speck to the naked eye, sans jetstream.

The shuttle orbit right now is about 300km (982,080 ft.) So that would be like trying to see an aircraft 900,000 feet away - 22.5 times further than a commerical aircraft from us on the ground.

So in conclusion, not likely a spy plane. Nor any terrestrial craft for that matter, especially a weather balloon.

The guy says it's in co-orbit with the SS so it will be doing thousands of mph.I think. :confused:

i-bert said:
The guy says it's in co-orbit with the SS so it will be doing thousands of mph.I think. :confused:
17,000 - 18,000 MPH. A decrease in that speed changes altitude, iirc, since the SS uses centripetal force to maintain its orbit. Is that correct?

NickK said:
Hehe bet it turns out to be the shadow of the shuttle :D
The light source would have to be in the same position above the shuttle for the entire duration for that to be true. Also, as I stated in a previous post, there will be more than 900,000 feet between the shuttle and the cloud layer. Can you see the shadow of an airplane on the ground at only 30,000 feet?

Last edited:
Andr3w said:
it was Yewen!

It probably was

1co9.gif

Sorry to ruin this thread, but I bought a balloon on a string yesterday in a shopping centre and as soon as I left I tripped and the damn balloon floated away. I cried for five minutes and then walked home very slowly. At least I know where it went. :)

The video shows some vapour trails/smoke behind the object intermittently. Is that just an artifact of the video, or does that mean it is going through the atmosphere? NASA says it is either something from the shuttle or some ice. Not sure how it can be ice if it has a trail of smoke though...

AtreuS said:
OMG!! there is a black car outside with 4 men in it watching the house!!! i downloaded the vid! help!

Are they driving a hurse?

Video doesn't look very interesting just a black something orbiting the earth at a high altitude.

Its probably a high altitude flying moth, confused by the bright shiny thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom