National insurance cut

Associate
Just looking at those and wondering what use they are to determine any parties 'performance' since it doesn't show all the macro economic and other macro events going on? on the bottom graph do we blame labour for the sky rocketing deficit in 2009/10 and praise the coalition for arresting that, or do we just use bigger number on graph = bad and paint the coalition as having a poor performance, all the while ignoring the financial crash of 2008 that led to it all?

The 1973 and 1990 global recession, the 2008 financial crash, the war.. all you can really see IMO is that obvious events such as these always lead to a period of increased deficit just after that then peaks and comes back down independent of the ruling party at the time.
My point entirely. If you need to show a graph use one that can be interpreted on an equal footing. They are only an indication of what happened to that particular set of parameters over that time, not what was a cause to get that affect

Soldato
I hope not I retire in two years(officially)

Youngster.

I expect that NI will be incorporated into income tax eventually now that the concept of reduction has begun. The lower value it has, the less important it becomes and it has never been ring fenced for health and pensions since it's early inception.

As more revenue can be had from taxing all income including we coffin dodgers I expect new income tax rates of 28% and 48% to be introduced with the abolition of NI.

Whichever party, Conservatives or Labour bite that particular bullet.

Associate
Youngster.

I expect that NI will be incorporated into income tax eventually now that the concept of reduction has begun. The lower value it has, the less important it becomes and it has never been ring fenced for health and pensions since it's early inception.

As more revenue can be had from taxing all income including we coffin dodgers I expect new income tax rates of 28% and 48% to be introduced with the abolition of NI.

Ok , wise old man .lol

Soldato
Youngster.

It should just be a flat tax of, say, 20% for employees above a threshold. No employers tax. The idea would be to stay revenue neutral to the current income (so the actual percentage might be a little higher). Would also get rid of the incentive for higher earners to try to dodge the tax and they will still pay the most anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 1973 and 1990 global recession, the 2008 financial crash, the war.. all you can really see IMO is that obvious events such as these always lead to a period of increased deficit just after that then peaks and comes back down independent of the ruling party at the time.
Yes, statistics are open to interpretation and water is wet. So you tell me should we take into account the "The 1973 and 1990 global recession, the 2008 financial crash, the war"? Should we take into account the ability of successive governments after events beyond their control to reduce the deficit to GDP figure?

e: I mean i know tonys gets confused by charts and has trouble reading them but come on, surely some people are able to interpret charts.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, statistics are open to interpretation and water is wet. So you tell me should we take into account the "The 1973 and 1990 global recession, the 2008 financial crash, the war"? Should we take into account the ability of successive governments after events beyond their control to reduce the deficit to GDP figure?

e: I mean i know tonys gets confused by charts and has trouble reading them but come on, surely some people are able to interpret charts.
Another dig eh,

Soldato

It's impossible to pick apart the statistics to remove macro events like that, or to determine what was/wasn't within reasonable control of the government at the time hence querying it.

I assume you know how to interpret those graphs beyond just the bigger number = bad and then zoom in on a period that shows labour = low, tories = high and pretend a global financial crash had no impact on things..?

I'm happy to be educated, I just see a graph that I see spikes on what happen to correlate with my recollection of global events and question the correlation your premise is formed on whether it is down to global events and somewhat outside of government control or if you knew what policies where enacted that you can attribute to the data that support your premise.

here's the Governments overlaid (red = lab, blue = tory, green = coalition, purple = global event)
G4lYuc6.png

I mean, global event certainly correlates with all the deficit peaks, but then it's a crapshoot as to which party was in when we managed the small surpluses..

I'm no expert, hence asking.

Last edited:
Associate
It's impossible to pick apart the statistics to remove macro events like that, or to determine what was/wasn't within reasonable control of the government at the time hence querying it.

I assume you know how to interpret those graphs beyond just the bigger number = bad and then zoom in on a period that shows labour = low, tories = high and pretend a global financial crash had no impact on things..?

I'm happy to be educated, I just see a graph that I see spikes on what happen to correlate with my recollection of global events and question the correlation your premise is formed on whether it is down to global events and somewhat outside of government control or if you knew what policies where enacted that you can attribute to the data that support your premise.

here's the Governments overlaid (red = lab, blue = tory, green = coalition, purple = global event)
G4lYuc6.png

I mean, global event certainly correlates with all the deficit peaks, but then it's a crapshoot as to which party was in when we managed the small surpluses..

I'm no expert, hence asking.
Excellent explanation and a good graph overlay.
That's a big thumbs up from me, can't find the appropriate emoji
Quick question was there data from the 1920's that could be correlated into the graph or not?

Last edited:
Associate
It's not just the Governments fault.
Economic pressure has many different causes from wage rises to a war,

Considering other countries have had the same issues and have come out better than we have, I would suggest that a vast majority of the issue is with THIS GOVERNMENT.

Associate
Considering other countries have had the same issues and have come out better than we have, I would suggest that a vast majority of the issue is with THIS GOVERNMENT.
You could be right of course, I was just pointing out that there are other factors aswell
So you wouldn't blame it on the Soviet Unions invasion as a factor? Or any other external problem that we had no control over that impacted our economy?

Last edited:
Soldato
All wars are caused by governments… it’s not like a villager stole another’s bucket and it quickly escalated.

If the governments of different countries didn’t offer Ukraine money for disarming their nukes.. do you think Russia would have the nerve to invade?

Associate
All wars are caused by governments… it’s not like a villager stole another’s bucket and it quickly escalated.

If the governments of different countries didn’t offer Ukraine money for disarming their nukes.. do you think Russia would have the nerve to invade?
That has nothing to do with the question about solely our government which most of this is about

Associate
So you're no expert but apparently you're expert enough to know it's impossible to pick apart the statistics to remove macro events like that.

Are you a Schrodinger expert?
You don't need to be an expert to know that, just common sense and life experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom