NEARLY 2 YEARS WAITING: New Mustang GT PP is finally mine!

Soldato
With regards to plate you will need to take it off now. The old log book with the old reg is null and void sending that will make no difference

You will need to take the plate off and a new log book will be sent in a few days

OcUK Staff
OP
Buyer collects tomorrow. :)
Any issues the trader takes it Tuesday.

So either way she is gone. :(

Now to grab something else that is fast for next six months, do I scratch the GTR itch or be sensible and grab a Golf R DSG, both ideal I feel as short term ownership to get them out my system, like idea of a GTR because well its a GTR but I like idea of a Golf R as its being a very long time since I essentially had a hot hatch, though its mind boggling that they can hit 60 in around 3.5s with a stage 1 map. Though the heart says B7 RS4 but when I purchase with the heart they tend to be kept and don't want to be back to owning 3 cars again.

OcUK Staff
OP
Don't get a Golf R. Dull dull dull :p

+
Buy something you love.

Figure out the rest later :D

Yes Golf R is dull but as a winter run about it is the most sensible choice and though its dull its very fast and very capable and its the smart choice as such a car would save me a few grand over six month ownership, less fuel, less tax, less insurance, cheaper to maintain and no impulse to mod it. End result when I got to buy my 2018 Mustang, I just pay the full wack on cash and have money left aside for tweaking and messing.

GTR is fun but is another big car, as thirsty if not more thirsty than Mustang and big running cost, brakes, service will be due in 6 months at an cost of couple grand, maybe new tyres too, another grand.

I have purchased something I love, an MY18 Mustang, its just not due until March or later next year and the M3 toy is gonna be sitting in a body shop for 1-2 months.

Don
Personally, I'd get something sensible for the time until the new Mustang arrives. You've got the usual crappy UK winter with it's salt coming so the Golf R sounds like a good shout to me. Do you really want to be buying something that has the potential to throw some big bills as a stop-gap car?

OcUK Staff
OP
Personally, I'd get something sensible for the time until the new Mustang arrives. You've got the usual crappy UK winter with it's salt coming so the Golf R sounds like a good shout to me. Do you really want to be buying something that has the potential to throw some big bills as a stop-gap car?

What I've being thinking, dropping 35-40k on a GTR is not smartest idea, because I suspect after running it for six months it will be wanting another service, new brakes, tyres which will be an easy £3000, then the depreciation I lose I suspect an easy £5000 in ownership for depreciation and maintenance.

Golf R I will buy bottom of market to try and limit depreciation, found a car at VW, got them down to 19k, 41k miles, 3DR, DSG and if I buy between now and 30th it will have 2yr warranty, 2yr servicing included just have to buy on finance, but I will simply pay it off within 14 day period. Just trying to find out from VW if this warranty is on the vehicle or in my name, as if its vehicle it will be great for re-sale in six months to sell car with VW warranty, if its in my name then the warranty is pretty worthless to be honest. Still just serviced, new tyres, much cheaper to run so my only cost is depreciation, probably couple of grand tops and the money saved in fuel, tax and insurance.

Associate
Golf R runaround is a good shout. Certainly good for the winter months. I traded my Mustang for a Focus RS for practicality and the 4wd. That said I am already looking for next toy as need more room with another kid around now so wish I had looked at lower end of market rather than brand new to limit depreciation lol.

Soldato
What I've being thinking, dropping 35-40k on a GTR is not smartest idea, because I suspect after running it for six months it will be wanting another service, new brakes, tyres which will be an easy £3000, then the depreciation I lose I suspect an easy £5000 in ownership for depreciation and maintenance.

Depreciation on a £35-45k GTR is non-existent. I bought mine, sold it 2 years later and could buy it again now (another 2 years later) all for the same price.

Servicing etc would cost a few hundred if the cars just had the big one. Tyres are under £1000 and you wouldn't need new brakes unless you were tracking it. At most new pads which are £250 per axle. If I wasn't using mine on track I wouldn't have gotten through a set of Cup 2s just on the road for a good while.

If you want to buy a car and not lose money on depreciation I'd be going for a GTR. The market bottomed out a few years ago and hasn't moved since. Every face lifted version gets more and more expensive which keeps the older models above £35k.

OcUK Staff
OP
Depreciation on a £35-45k GTR is non-existent. I bought mine, sold it 2 years later and could buy it again now (another 2 years later) all for the same price.

Servicing etc would cost a few hundred if the cars just had the big one. Tyres are under £1000 and you wouldn't need new brakes unless you were tracking it. At most new pads which are £250 per axle. If I wasn't using mine on track I wouldn't have gotten through a set of Cup 2s just on the road for a good while.

If you want to buy a car and not lose money on depreciation I'd be going for a GTR. The market bottomed out a few years ago and hasn't moved since. Every face lifted version gets more and more expensive which keeps the older models above £35k.

Ah come on, don't try to convince me man, I need to be sensible haha. Think of the fuel I will save in a Golf R! :D

What is really bad I've found a stunning GTR which seems exceptional value and is a clean car, as had it checked out by Kindai and its a very good price its listed at, if I can get another 1-2k off then its a real good buy problem is I really also want to try a Golf R as I remember driving a 2.0 TFSi Sirroco or whatever it is called and though it was pretty dull and boring, it was exceptionally nice to drive and quite capable for a FWD hatch.

As I said I like a GTR because its a GTR, I've had one for a weekend and they are epic, though its size but mainly the speed you have to go to enjoy it properly was not ideal.
I like the Golf R because its smaller (hot hatch or hyper hatch is it these days?) and really quite a good car to throw around on narrower lanes and it has the advantage of costing around 1/3-1/2 in fuel, tax and insurance in comparison. In theory the money saved means come March next year I can just pay the full 50k for the new Mustang in cash, pretty much gonna be around 50k I reckon due to selecting all the options.

A GTR will cost me 35-40k, will probably sell it for 35-40k, though if I need it gone quick then I would maybe have to price it under others in the market to make it shift faster, something to be prepared to do.
Golf R will cost me 18k, will probably sell for 16-18k.

So depreciation wise they are both similar, its just down to running cost and whatever maintenance bills they throw up.

I was also considering an RS4 but pricing is very hit and miss, seen some cars at 12k and others at 30k, chances of getting a great one around 15k is slim and then trying to re-sell it looks hard, being monitoring RS246 and other various forums, private adverts and they are not moving unless sold at bottom of the market around 12-13k.

I've also being looking at C63 AMG, dismissed it because stupid, very stupid, don't need another V8, got one coming and an AMG in Winter, be as useless as the Mustang was on a freezing icy day.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Well the GTR is an absolute bargain, just had a bit of work done to it, up to date servicing with Litchfields, all major needs and wants sorted.

I mean, I guess it depends if you want us all to mock you for turning up in a Golf when it could have been a GTR at the next meet :D :D :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Well the GTR is an absolute bargain, just had a bit of work done to it, up to date servicing with Litchfields, all major needs and wants sorted.

I mean, I guess it depends if you want us all to mock you for turning up in a Golf when it could have been a GTR at the next meet :D :D :D

I'll just bring the M3 then. ;)

Anyway stop it, stop it, now I am actually considering just going and buying the GTR. You bad person!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I reckon the GT-R is a logical stop-gap given your car history Andy. It's different enough but still has the performance to boot. The man maths works out. Do it. You won't miss the money saved in fuel as you don't miss it now ;)

Back
Top Bottom