NEC LCD20WGX2 review *** UPDATED 25/02/06 ***

Man of Honour
Richdog said:
I have the RMA woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!

No backlight bleed... no dead pixels... alll buttons are perfectly straight.

So pleased you could spank my arse and call me Mandy.

Will report back tonight with some further info! :D

excellent news, i know how long and hard you looked for your perfect monitor :) glad you've settled on one now!

Caporegime
LaRZ said:
Yep on my mitsubushi 900u Diamond pro I can easily see the difference between 60 hrz and 80 hrz playing a game although subtle, however playing far cry at 144 hrz on that monitor has shown me whats possible in terms fluid motion on a screen.

TFTs dont refresh the screen in the way that CRTs do. on a TFT each pixel changes colour independantly

on a CRT a line is drawn down the screen and is refreshed 60 thousand times a second at 60 hertz. on a CRT, this is 60hz and you can visibly see the lines.

You need about 85hz to avoid eye strain and to remove lines on CRTs. But due to the fact that TFTs have no screen gun, refresh rate is largely un-important.

especially considering that you will not be able to tell 60 fps on a game from 80fps provding both are solid frame rates.

Associate
OP
Cal_G said:
Got my replacement aswell, so far no backlight bleed at all :D , now the bad news, 4 stuck pixels right in the middle, 2 stuck on blue right next to each other and 2 not far from them stuck on white, not impressed at all, anyone know how many it needs for a swap out?
You are unique! It's rare case (as far as I'm informed) that users of this monitor even have single dead pixel, but 4 :eek: You should swap it by all means. Before that, did you try to bring them back to life ? You may try the gentle "massage" (but not sure of that because of the OptiClear panel coating) or this software:

http://udpix.free.fr/

You are so unlucky :( Generally speaking, dead pixels can happen because of the tiny particles of dust trapped on the pixels during the manufacturing process or even mechanical shock/bump/dent during the shipping process can break one of the highly sensitive pixels. I wonder when will they start to include the shocking absorption material in the shipping boxes.

Associate
OP
Cal_G said:
Also, were on the NEC site does it say there only needs to be 3 stuck pixels?
I think that 4 are required, but do not take my word for it. Some unlucky users have exchanged the monitors with single dead pixel (and really just the shy of backlight bleed). Maybe it would be wise that you contact the NEC and find out, as it would be useful here.

Associate
OP
Oswold said:
My replacement arrived as well and it's brillant, no corner backlight problems and no stuck pixels. I'm really pleased with it now and the advanced DV mode is very impressive now the backlight problem has been sorted.
Great! that everything went well and that you liked the Advanced DV.

Oswold said:
I'm also rather impressed with NEC customer support as they actually phoned me back when i enquired if they had the replacement in stock yet and they emailed me to say the monitor had been dispatched on Thursday.
Very good. Couple of users already praised the NEC top notch support.

Associate
igors said:
You are unique! It's rare case (as far as I'm informed) that users of this monitor even have single dead pixel, but 4 :eek: You should swap it by all means. Before that, did you try to bring them back to life ? You may try the gentle "massage" (but not sure of that because of the OptiClear panel coating) or this software:

http://udpix.free.fr/

You are so unlucky :( Generally speaking, dead pixels can happen because of the tiny particles of dust trapped on the pixels during the manufacturing process or even mechanical shock/bump/dent during the shipping process can break one of the highly sensitive pixels. I wonder when will they start to include the shocking absorption material in the shipping boxes.

Make that, 3 blue, 1 red and 4 white, and backlight bleed bottom right once the monitor warmed up :rolleyes: will give them a call first thing monday, see what they have to say, I thought they would have picked the other one up today, turns out I have to call DHL within 2 days with a reference number and they will come and pick it up, will then have to do the same with this one :mad:

Associate
Hey Arcane, do you use colour alteration hardware. ive shopped around for them, in the past. never realy thought much of them since all the work i did was online. but not im started to do print. and everytime i get a proof . its not how it looked on my screen . lol i think its gonna have to be somthing i need to purchase. that 20 inch mac screen must be a dream to work on ;) ive had a 20 inch imac pass through my hands . very nice bit of kit. im wanting to get a mini mac duo for a workstation, i had a major crash on my pc, and i lost a lot of work, ive heard mac's are highly secure. and ther is little chance of stuff like this happening? is that correct ?

Associate
OP
Cal_G said:
Make that, 3 blue, 1 red and 4 white, and backlight bleed bottom right once the monitor warmed up
It's seems that you got the "Christmas tree" for the replacement, but too early I guess. First one was mile better, I suppose. Man, such a bad luck. Anyhow, you don't have nothing to lose apart from the annoying ping pong of the monitors with the NEC. Hopefully, things will settle down for you also.

Caporegime
Baddass said:
excellent news, i know how long and hard you looked for your perfect monitor :) glad you've settled on one now!

Cheers squire, it does feel good! I ran some games in widescreen last night, Rome: Total War and Star Wars: Empire at War look amazing... just a shame they run at about 20 fps on my 6200TC,

Can't wait till my 7900GT gets here early next week, then you'll have a meaty review coming. :D

EDIT - omg this monitor is amazing, when the screen is black it's like the monitor is off... so dark and velvety its unbelievable. My 7900GT doesn't get here for a few days so can't really put it through its paces but I loaded a few games, put the detail down to minimum, and there was zero ghosting.

Colours are so rich they are best described as luxurious... man I never knew it would be this good and trust me I am one FUSSY mofo.

And widescreen gaming is the way forward... as soon as I get my card you'll be getting a full report, trust me. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
crayz-walz said:
Hey Arcane, do you use colour alteration hardware. ive shopped around for them, in the past. never realy thought much of them since all the work i did was online. but not im started to do print. and everytime i get a proof . its not how it looked on my screen . lol i think its gonna have to be somthing i need to purchase. that 20 inch mac screen must be a dream to work on ;) ive had a 20 inch imac pass through my hands . very nice bit of kit. im wanting to get a mini mac duo for a workstation, i had a major crash on my pc, and i lost a lot of work, ive heard mac's are highly secure. and ther is little chance of stuff like this happening? is that correct ?

Colour for print can be a real pain to setup as you need to do loads of messing about with printer profiles as well as having the monitor hardware calibrated. I always get cromalin proofs run out to check for colour before I go to print and generally look at it on press, some of my jobs have a print run of 2 million so it has to be right first time. I use a quad 2.5 G5 Mac with 4 gig of RAM and it's a nice machine, very stable, never had a virus and very easy to use, not very interesting for those of us who like to tinker though :D

Sorry for the OT.

Associate
Not sure about being charged or not.

If you look at the news section, it looks like they arrive instock on Tuesday according to Gibbo. Wednesday delivery possibly? I wonder why the web does not show due in 1-3 days???????

Its a pain as I have already sold my Sony Sony SDM-HS95PRB and promised to send it on Monday!

Don't want to be without a pc for two days and unable to check the status on my new monitor.

Matt

Associate
Hey arcane,

ive been lookin into getting a mini mac. a lot of them are going cheep since everyone is selling up to move onto the intel duo. the one problem i notcied with it is maxed out 1gig of ram. anyway . how long have you used your mac for. ? im realy realy tempted to pick one up cheep. ive been wating a 20inch imac for a long time . but only recently have i started making enuff busness to class it as a Work station. let the company pay for it ;) hehe. what would you sugjest . what type of things are you doing on your mac at the moment ? 4gig sounds heavy for just Marketing . do you video edit ?

Caporegime
At the risk of sounding like a broken record I still can't stop drooling over this monitor... the image quality is the best I have ever seen on any display... ever. Viewing angles are 180 degrees and the response rate is awesome, so glad NEC sent me a perfect model the 2nd time around. :)

Associate
daddyorchips said:
Did anybody who bought this screen from ocuk get one without dead pixels or backlight bleed?

Also, is there any evidence of the screendoor effect on this screen?

Yeah a few of us got backlight bleed so we contacted NEC and they sent a replacement, the other guys got a perfect screen second time round

Back
Top Bottom