Need advice on Gaming Rig again :)

Associate
OP
Hey there,

Ok quick question, all the parts arrived and everything was going well but the gfx card is a couple of mm too long to fit with one of the front fans installed on the Silverstone case. The only place I could move it too is the roof so do I put it near the front of the roof as a inlet to keep the 2 in and 1 out or near the back as an exhaust which would only leaves one in and 2 outs? or leave it with one in and one out.

another option is I do have a few 140 fans non RGB which I could swap the front or back or both?

frustrating as its only out by a few mm :(

Associate
OP
OK iv'e removed both front 120mm fans and put in 1 140mm fan in its place just above the gpu. I have currently just left the rear 120mm fan. will this be enough air flow or should I add a another 120mm exhaust on the back? and as its not possible to direct the air flow onto the gpu directly will this effect performance?

Or should I contact OC and just swap over the case or GPU for one that fits without risking air flow?

I just don't know what to do here??? This isn't even for me so I cant guess or bodge things here :confused::confused::confused:

Soldato
The only place I could move it too is the roof so do I put it near the front of the roof as a inlet

Fans at the top should blow up and out. And you should be fine. If you can get a slim 140mm fan for in front of the GPU, that would be great.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £55.63 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

I'm sure there are other slim fans out there but OCUK doesn't allow filtering by thickness.

Associate
OP
Hi mate,

Cheers for your reply,

Ok for now I have moved the 2 front RGB fans to the back swapping out the non rgb rear and fitting the other to the top as exhausts. I fitted a 140mm Phanteks PH-F140SP I had from a previous build in the front to get the air in and it covers the top of the case all the way down to the top of the GPU. The GPU kind of cuts the case in half with all the air flow above it and then what ever it can get below it :) Ill carry on setting this up and see what kind of temps the GPU gets but getting a slim fan for the bottom half the case would certainly help but ill have to check with the person i'm building it for if they want to spend more money unfortunately :/

and with 2 completely different front fans its not gonna look so good either lol but when your gaming on it hopefully they wont care..

Ill take a look what they got on the slim fans see what would best work.

Cheers for your help mate.

Soldato
Ah, massive sorry on my part .

CArd should have just fitted in with front fan.
I'm not sure if your able to install the fan on the outside of the chassis but still within the front fascia .

Able to get snaps up ?

Silverstone's own slim fans are stunning performance at 15mm thick

@SilverStone Saku this should have worked I would have thought . Unless case or gigabyte measurements slightly out

Found build with fans, but 15mm on the outside . 15mm should still work on the inside .

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi mate,

I currently have it all setup, windows installed and running fine, all temps normal as far as I can see though I still got side panel to put on yet to be fair.

Here are some pics

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/GoblinKG/20200314_170131.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/GoblinKG/20200314_170157.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/GoblinKG/20200314_170206.jpg

Not sure the fans will fit inside the front cover unfortunately so ill need to fit a slim fan if i want air on gpu. when i checked the specs myself i thought it should have just fitted so not sure if wrong specs somewhere. Ill keep an eye on it and see whats happens as nothing more I can do about it now.

Cheers.

Associate
OP
Yea so just tried playing something and GPU crashed out after 10 minutes looks like it got too hot.. :( everything is running at stocks

In all honesty will fitting a slim design fan do the trick here?

Associate
OP
yep im an idiot, I had the top fan wrong way round lol swapped it and both CPU and gfx card much cooler. had 74 CPU and 80 GPU which is much better and I could even improve on that a bit more with some fan curves,

BUT its unbelievable, i'm now getting weird artifacting in windows and massive screen flicker when using certain windows. If I go in a browser for example pictures and text bars have these weird flicking diagonal lines in them like a big cross through the image, and if i click on the speakers icon it flickers like mad and sound stopped working in game. games run fine with no issues besides the sound?

Im now thinking there is something wrong with the card?? ive reinstalled the drivers no change, ill try reinstalling windows but I'm unsure.

Associate
OP
Hi mate,

Tried different displays same issue, current display has Gsync but not Freesync, other display had no sync tech.

I don't have another GPU I can bung in there unfortunately.

I used the AMD Cleanup util when i previously uninstalled and reinstall the drivers but no difference either. not sure is DDU is any different or better?

Soldato
Hi mate,

Tried different displays same issue, current display has Gsync but not Freesync, other display had no sync tech.

I don't have another GPU I can bung in there unfortunately.

I used the AMD Cleanup util when i previously uninstalled and reinstall the drivers but no difference either. not sure is DDU is any different or better?
Install msi afterburner then underclock the Gpu core clock by 200 and memory clock by 1000 and see if it's still artifacting.

Associate
OP
Ok so I reformatted and reinstalled windows. Everything was fine then i install the driver and the issue came straight back.

I tried the Afterburner and reduced core by 200 but it wouldn't let me reduce the memory clock but it still causing the issues?

Associate
OP
OK!!

As a desperate punt I tried rolling back the graphic driver using the last release of 2019 as a start point and it bloody fixed it.. so its seems there is some kind of driver conflict witht heir latest version. ill try installing the new ones just before latest and see which I can use.

Back
Top Bottom