Need good chair for gaming £250 (6.1" tall)

Soldato
I wouldn't know, I've not used an (expensive) ergonomic office chair. All I said was (and I think you agree as you bought second hand much much cheaper) that I wouldn't likely value any chair at £1k. I'm not even entirely sure mine is worth £300, but I do like it a lot and don't regret buying it.

There's a link 9 posts up as to why I like my chair though and why I'm happy with it if that's what you're asking. Saying I only bought it because it looks cool is a little silly in my opinion, and a little insulting, as I said.

Soldato
AndyCr15 said:
BBT Literally said that.
nope.
So you've basically have 1k worth of very high quality chair with minor cosmetic marks if you shop around for a fraction of the price vs. a car seat on a stool marked up to £300 because it looks cool or has red stitching.

AndyCr15 said:
**EDIT** James, nvm though, set to ignore.

No real loss then :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think gamers particularly sit any different do they? I wouldn't say I'm a 'gamer' I just wanted a well made, solid, comfortable chair, being a bigger chap, cheaper ones aren't perhaps up to it.

The 'gaming chairs' around £140 where only to hold 120kg, which I'm over, so my £300 chair ticked that box and gave me a little reassurance that it was a solid.

Associate
I don't think gamers particularly sit any different do they? I wouldn't say I'm a 'gamer' I just wanted a well made, solid, comfortable chair, being a bigger chap, cheaper ones aren't perhaps up to it.

The 'gaming chairs' around £140 where only to hold 120kg, which I'm over, so my £300 chair ticked that box and gave me a little reassurance that it was a solid.

I would disagree that gamers do not sit any different on two points:
1. you don't see an office worker with pedals, throttle and joystick
2. a PC gamer probably spends time seated working on a PC and gaming on a PC that could be a long time seated in the same chair compared to say a console gamer or non-gamer.

My view is this.. you have up until recently had 4 categories of chair for PC gamers:
1. Your 'run of the mill' Staples, PC World, B&Q office chair focusing on basic comfort and copying the look of executive office chairs for a low price point say £75.

2. You then have your benchmark seats where for a little extra you get more comfort, features, style etc i.e. the like of the Ikea Markus at £130

3. Commercial office worker chairs and executive seats £500 a shot.

4. Finally you have your Rolls-Royce ergonomic do everything seats for mega-bucks like your Steelcase's and Herman Miller's of the world around the 1k mark some more some less.

Now enter the market of "gaming chairs", for £200 - £500 you can have a great gaming chair suited to the needs of gamers right? Wrong what you have is the 'run of the mill' seat dressed and styled to a higher quality assuming you happen to like the idea of a racing car seat. All they have really done is added a bit more cushioning, arguably used some better components the rest is just looks.

What a "gaming chair" should be is something that builds on the smart ergonomics of the big boys and adapts them to the needs of gamers. Most importantly if you're going to charge £300+ for it that needs to be twice as good at being a "gaming chair" than an Ikea Markus. The only chairs that I have ever experienced that tick that box is the ergonomic ones because not only do they win design awards for their looks they also have useful features and adjustment for gamers not present on 'gaming chairs'..... and I shall grit my path with the salty tears of anyone who claims otherwise :eek: either that or they need a good counter argument :D

Soldato
Fair enough, there are a select portion of gamers with those accessories. Surely most are keyboard and mouse users? But point taken, a gaming chair should account for it. (I think I sit the same if I'm on the forum to if I'm playing Overwatch. Maybe that's why I'm rubbish at it though? :) )

As I said, I'm not a gamer, I did just want as you said, a higher quality chair and as I said, one that would be specifically robust for a larger person, hence I went from £140 on a chair, to £300 purely as it was rated to take up to a 180kg person. It had nothing to do with it's looks or red stitching (which I don't have :( )

Associate
Fair enough, there are a select portion of gamers with those accessories. Surely most are keyboard and mouse users? But point taken, a gaming chair should account for it. (I think I sit the same if I'm on the forum to if I'm playing Overwatch. Maybe that's why I'm rubbish at it though? :) )

As I said, I'm not a gamer, I did just want as you said, a higher quality chair and as I said, one that would be specifically robust for a larger person, hence I went from £140 on a chair, to £300 purely as it was rated to take up to a 180kg person. It had nothing to do with it's looks or red stitching (which I don't have :( )

So as a 'gaming chair' you don't really have an opinion you just like your chair as a chair. I have no problem with that, lets call it an executive chair modelled on a racing car seat and we'd be in full agreement.... glad you like it.

As a 'gaming chair' though I'm not impressed, in fact I would say that the manufacturers are treating gamers as idiots and my axe needs grinding grrr ;)

Why? Cos OCuk should know better if it was PC World, CMEX or GAME trying to pull it off I'd see the humour in it but there comes a point:

Matthew 7:15-20
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them."

TLDR : current gen of 'gaming chairs' = bad fruit for gamers
I've no beef with OCuk btw I have purchased many items over many years with good experience I only mention it to demonstrate I'm not bias on this topic/forum in that way.

Soldato
All ergonomic office chairs seem to have fixed armrests. I prefer ones that you can move to suite your arms. When playing long sessions with the keyboard and mouse i like to position my arm rests in place for those long sessions to support my arms. Noble chairs tick this box for me.
Some office chairs do look like they may be more comfy but the fact i cant recline in them the same way for console gaming sessions or position the arm rests put me off and ive found a couple that did do this but they are more expensive than the Noble. Herman miller and something else.

Soldato
All ergonomic office chairs seem to have fixed armrests. I prefer ones that you can move to suite your arms. When playing long sessions with the keyboard and mouse i like to position my arm rests in place for those long sessions to support my arms. Noble chairs tick this box for me.

What chairs have you been looking at? :confused:

Some office chairs do look like they may be more comfy but the fact i cant recline in them the same way for console gaming sessions or position the arm rests put me off and i've found a couple that did do this but they are more expensive than the Noble. Herman miller and something else.

you cant recline them in the same way? what do you mean? I can recline mine, i can set how far it reclines, i can vary the force required to recline it and unlike most gaming chars my backrest isn't directly coupled to the base, so it pivots away from the base when it reclines, supporting posture.

Surely a £1000 chair reclines? I like sometimes the feet go up and the chair reclines. Sooooo comfy.

Of course they do.:o

My leap is essentially that but mine being a v1 I can't slide my arm rests back and forward. I can pivot them, move them up and down and slide them in and out though.

Look at the adjustable lumbar support. What do you get on a 300 quid noble? a cushion.

Last edited:
Soldato
James, what sort of condition is your second hand chair? im genuinely interested.

To me these 'gaming chairs' are just marketing to the GAMERZ crowd, sort of the same way people buy these god awful gaming headsets for £100's when an actual music headphone are FAAAAR better for sound.

The thing i dont like about those gaming chairs is how thick the backs are, worst thing in the world getting a sweaty back.

I have an Ikea Markus at the moment but my bloody cat is destroying it and also the seat support has never been that comfy.

Soldato
What chairs have you been looking at? :confused:

you cant recline them in the same way? what do you mean? I can recline mine, i can set how far it reclines, i can vary the force required to recline it and unlike most gaming chars my backrest isn't directly coupled to the base, so it pivots away from the base when it reclines, supporting posture.

Of course they do.:o

My leap is essentially that but mine being a v1 I can't slide my arm rests back and forward. I can pivot them, move them up and down and slide them in and out though.

Look at the adjustable lumbar support. What do you get on a 300 quid noble? a cushion.

But James where are the side cushions to stop me from falling out when pulling several G's sat still :confused: :D and I notice notice not holes to fit a five point harness, you know, cause :D

Do these gaming chairs go through any testing (reports to that effect)? Are they approved by anybody or have any health impact studies that they can produce?

Back
Top Bottom