Neighbour from a few doors up parks their car outside my house

I haz 4090!
Don
Not a bad idea, I like it. My car is pretty popular with thieves though (Golf R) so I'm a bit nervous about parking it elsewhere overnight, could try it in the day though.
I had to do this when I had mine as my "drive" was in front of their house.

...they got burgled three times for the keys. :(

Man of Honour
Bad luck Hyacinth!

Honestly, if you asked me to move it I'd tell you to swivel, and I'm generally an amiable person. Not particularly neighbourly I know, but if it's fully legal then it's really none of your business, you don't own the street.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bad luck Hyacinth!

Honestly, if you asked me to move it I'd tell you to swivel, and I'm generally an amiable person. Not particularly neighbourly I know, but if it's fully legal then it's really none of your business, you don't own the street.

To be fair, if he asked politely and acknowledged to him that the other guy is completely within his rights to say no, the what's the harm? I can't get this mentality of digging in your heels just because someone has asked you if you'd mind helping them out with something that's been frustrating them. It's not like the OP is coming out of his house and *telling* him to move and being an A-hole, or if the other guy did move he'd be putting himself at massively more inconvenience by having to park in the next street.

Soldato
I parked my car on the street for a few days a while back a few doors down as we had tradespeople coming. It was a section where there there was no house to speak of on the side I parked, and I parked there specifically because I thought there's no chance of annoying anyone.

After a day or two the owner of the house on the opposite side of the street put a note on my windscreen telling me to move it!

I couldn't believe the cheek. There was bags of room for them to get in and out of their drive, I wasn't blocking anything on not even on their side of the street.

I agree with OP in their situation, especially if there's space for the other party to park in front of their own home, but it's hilarious how weird some people can be about cars being parked legally on a public street.

Last edited:
Soldato
Go back to enjoying your life, nothing illegal about it. My neighbour has a van parked next to my drive. Been there 6 months not moved. I just ignore it. If not the van it’ll be something else parked there.

Soldato
Come to think of it if someone asked me to move my car for no good reason and never park on the street near their house again... in exchange for nothing...

I'd probably tell them to **** off.

You gotta be soft in the head to accommodate a neighbours fantasy of owning the actual street.

Soldato
My old neighbour used to park a POS minibus outside my house. This was the same neighbour that lost his **** when I parked outside his house once. In summary, lots of people are very single minded as to what is acceptable. In his case, he was a bipolar drunk to boot.

I wasn't that bothered about it being parked there. Him starting it up to "warm it up" between 6:30 and 7:00 every morning on the other hand...

As you say, the problem is when you have visitors, thankfully for us there was always parking available to the other side.

Back
Top Bottom