Nest Hello - Now available in UK

Caporegime
OP
I'm definitely getting this soon. I really like how it works with my Google home mini's and provides some security by recording my drive.

I'm going to go for it too. What I don't like is the subscription aspect. However I think in order to make it worthwhile. I will get a few cameras. I'f i'm going to be paying a sub I may as well make full use of it and get my moneys worth. The IQ cameras cost a fortune though.

We had 2 guys in the estate trying peoples doors and cars at 5:30AM this morning. A neighbour posted CCTV footage this morning to facebook. So I think I might need to bite the bullet and get a proper outdoor CCTV set up. I would want 2 cameras covering the front and 2 cheaper ones at the back covering the shed and side of the house.

I forgot to lock my car one day. Easily done. I thought it would auto lock after 20 minutes with it being so new and hi-tech if you forget. Was still open in the morning, which was when I had realised I hadn't locked it the day before. Luckily nobody had come across it that night. Not that there is much to steal but sometimes I might have items in the boot worth a couple hundred quid.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm not too worried about my cars where my house is situated. We have a street lamp out the front and the drive is very exposed from the road/path. Being well lit and exposed means it's a lower risk.

Caporegime
OP
I'm not too worried about my cars where my house is situated. We have a street lamp out the front and the drive is very exposed from the road/path. Being well lit and exposed means it's a lower risk.

never say never. anything can happen. i also have a street lamp and it's very exposed. a car drives by every 30 seconds during the day. however i had an incident one morning at 7am on a sunday.

police were next to useless leaving me out of pocket. even though i have the guys face and full body on video for a good 5 minutes.

Associate
I've purchased one of these. It's been a nightmare to try an get installed. Basically getting no power to it. Long story short, pretty much all Door Bell transformers are not strong enough to power this. I've ordered a transformer from Screwfix which should fix this. Only issue is that I will not have a chime, the 5 google homes should be okay though. A poor effort by Nest to be honest, works fine in the USA but not here.

Caporegime
OP
If anyone is interested, this transformer does the job perfectly.

thanks for posting the link.

the screwfix one is out of stock i ordered one to be told it didn't arrive for collection to then see it's no longer in stock online anywhere for collection or delivery.

i've also noticed a lot of them are out of stock on ebay and the prices have been going up to now £20 minimum.

if anyone is interested grab this transformer quick there is a shortage in the UK and it's only going to get worse.

Caporegime
OP
Wont people just steal your doorbell.....

it's registered to your account and cannot be put onto a new account unless taken off your one which they don't have access to.

so if they steal it they cannot be sold on. well it can but it won't work so people will be back to them to tell them it doesn't work.

also if you steal it your only stealing half of it. the other half costs money too.

so pointless stealing one. plus the person stealing it would be caught on camera.

Caporegime
OP
Basically if someone steals yours never remove it from your account just leave it there and you can then connect to it when they install it and you will now know where your stolen doorbell is.

Soldato
Someone tried to force my door while away, so I think I am going to grab one of these. It looks like Nest have an Easter sale on for £189.

£173.99 at City Plumbing Supplies until early next week!

I'm seriously tempted on selling my Ring Pro and trying a Nest Hello.

Is the subscription package "Nest Aware" pretty much essential? I have about 4 months of subscription left with the Ring equivalent - So was thinking about waiting...

Soldato
Depends on your usage. I subscribe to it on all my Nest cameras. It pretty much adds facial recognition and up to 7 day recording (otherwise it's only 24hr)

Also whilst i can't remember. Without it i think you may be able to only view recordings of actual activities. But with the Nest Aware you can view any historic time period (within the range you subscribe to)

Caporegime
OP
Depends on your usage. I subscribe to it on all my Nest cameras. It pretty much adds facial recognition and up to 7 day recording (otherwise it's only 24hr)

Also whilst i can't remember. Without it i think you may be able to only view recordings of actual activities. But with the Nest Aware you can view any historic time period (within the range you subscribe to)

It's 5-6 hours not 24 hours. So if an incident happens at 2am and you wake up at 8am it's gone.

there is a 5 day recording package which is £40 a year. then £20 a year for each additional camera.

£173.99 at City Plumbing Supplies until early next week!

I'm seriously tempted on selling my Ring Pro and trying a Nest Hello.

Is the subscription package "Nest Aware" pretty much essential? I have about 4 months of subscription left with the Ring equivalent - So was thinking about waiting...

Yes I would say it's essential see above for more info. it's only £40 and it's better than the ring so worth switching.

Soldato
Holy moly I've had a mad time trying to setup the Nest Hello this afternoon :p

I hope that one of you on here will be able to help me, as I've just reinstalled my Ring Pro because I can't figure out the wiring for the Nest...

Firstly, I'll start by saying I made a mistake... twice... at the beginning which may be the reason for all my troubles :p I bought the Nest Hello with a new transformer (this). I started by putting the live and neutral from my fuse board into pin one and four at the top (which is the wrong side - I now know the live terminals need to be put in the bottom two pins (5 & 6) :p So with the live and neutral in the wrong end of the transformer, and the hello in the other side - When I turned the power back on, the transformer went bang. I turned the power off immediately and inspected it, but proceded to turn the power back on one more time (because I've lost my mind today from the looks of it!), and more bangs and bad smells from the transformer came :p

Once I'd figured out I'd be wiring the transformer the wrong way - I put the correct wires in the correct terminals and turned it on - and I get nothing. I've tried swapping out the transformer with the one I got with the Ring Pro and I still get nothing. I've put the Ring Pro back on with the Ring transformer - No issues.

I should mention - when I installed the Ring Pro many months ago, I removed the chime box I had in the hallway and stuffed the cabling in the wall (incase I wanted it back for whatever reason). The Nest Hello comes with some funky white puck that is meant to connect to the chime box. Obviously, I have no chime box, so I have not used the white puck (although I tried it in a few wiring combinations) - and I've since read online that it isn't completely necessary.

So I've reinstalled the Ring Pro and I'm going to give myself the rest of the day off :p I've run out of patience and so I need some help - I'm pretty confident I've now killed the transformer I bought - but I've tried the Nest Hello with the Ring transformer and still get nothing from it. I really hope I haven't killed the hello :/

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks,
Marky

Soldato
FYI for anyone not fancying an mcb install, TLC do a 12v transformer which you can mount to wall and only costs £8.

With a bit of modification you could fit it in the 775 chassis, but I decided to mount transformer in garage and come through wall with the bell wire.

Will be final wiring mine this week, can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom