Nest Hello - Now available in UK

Soldato
You got a voltage meter? You could test the output of your wiring setup

I have since tested the output of the Ring Pro transformer, and that all looks good. I get nothing from the Nest when I connect it to the Ring Transformer, and that is pretty much the same transformer as I bought (and killed :p).

Soldato
oops! :D

The Nest Hello comes with some funky white puck that is meant to connect to the chime box. Obviously, I have no chime box, so I have not used the white puck (although I tried it in a few wiring combinations) - and I've since read online that it isn't completely necessary

I've just been looking this up, apparently it is needed for completely uninterupted power supply to the doorbell, which may affect video recording. Or does this only affect you if you're using a mechanical chime?

Shelia from Nest posted 4 months ago said:
The chime connector allows the Nest Hello to be powered continuously. Without the chime connector, the Nest Hello would only receive power during the doorbell push as that's when the circuit closes. The current continues to go through your chime but would result in the product not working as it is expected or intended to.

For example, features such as light ring or recording would not work correctly, and the doorbell may ring unexpectedly or continuously.

If you have multiple chimes or questions about compatibility in your home, please contact live support so we can work with you individually. nest.com/help

For those in the UK, we recently released a software update to allow for 12V compatibility in Europe. If your existing transformer is providing less than 10.8 VAC, you must upgrade your transformer to 12V.

https://www.nest-community.com/s/qu...XSAV/chime-connector-purpose-and-is-it-needed

Interestingly she's also states that a recent software update allows 12V supply to power it now! Not 16-24V.

Soldato
oops! :D

I've just been looking this up, apparently it is needed for completely uninterupted power supply to the doorbell, which may affect video recording. Or does this only affect you if you're using a mechanical chime?

Yes, very expensive mistake this could be :eek: :( :p

Since reading more about the puck, I have read that although it isn't neccessarily needed, it is recommended as it could effect the life of the transformer...

I've spoken to an electrician in our office and he said that the transformer may have some sort of protection and it should not have passed through - I'm going to try it again this evening with the Ring transformer, with my head fully screwed on this time :p

Caporegime
OP
Yes, very expensive mistake this could be :eek: :( :p

Since reading more about the puck, I have read that although it isn't neccessarily needed, it is recommended as it could effect the life of the transformer...

I've spoken to an electrician in our office and he said that the transformer may have some sort of protection and it should not have passed through - I'm going to try it again this evening with the Ring transformer, with my head fully screwed on this time :p

i paid a spark £100 to fit mine. it was a full install though. transformer went into my circuit box thing which controls power to the whole house. he piggy backed the downstairs lighting circuit. so will turn off with that.

Soldato
i paid a spark £100 to fit mine. it was a full install though. transformer went into my circuit box thing which controls power to the whole house. he piggy backed the downstairs lighting circuit. so will turn off with that.

This is the most embarrassing part of my story... I was an electrical engineer for 8 years :p I have no excuses - I just wasn't thinking obviously :p

Cross your fingers for me - I'll try it again tonight - If it doesn't work, I'm considering emailing Nest with a plea on anything they can do... Anything other than having to buy a brand new one again :p

Soldato
Cross your fingers for me - I'll try it again tonight

giphy.gif

:D

Caporegime
OP
That'll be the least of my worries when it comes to killing a £170 doorbell :p :p

if it's dead they won't replace it due to negligence. you would need to talk with the supplier but again they wouldn't replace through negligence.

so you will have to lie (commit fraud) and say it was DOA.

Soldato
My transformer was faulty in the end, and the Nest is alive! :D

So after using it for the past couple of weeks, I've found that it is definitely better than the Ring in some ways - but in others it isn't. There are definitely some niggles, but for the most part, the picture quality is better and the ability to sweep through the footage with my finger is incredible! If I had to recommend either of them, it would be the Nest. The app is definitely much better than the Ring.

One of the most annoying things about it at the moment is that I normally get about 2 "Motion" notifications that I wake up to that have happened in the middle of the night. The first one is nothing, and the second is always when the night vision switches out. To be honest, the motion is too overly sensitive as it is, and I often get notifications when there is bugger all happening out the front of my house :p With the Ring, they had a "Motion Sensitivity" setting, but no such thing with Nest...

I've just put the "motion zones" into place, so I hope that will improve things - We'll see...

Also - A note worth mentioning for anyone who is thinking about buying the Nest Hello - It is useless without the Nest Aware subscription server - I mean that in every sense of the word... Useless! I actually think it's a slap in the face from Nest, as it is advertised as a product that works well without the subscription service, but don't be fooled, there is no point getting this doorbell if you're against getting the subscription service on top.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
My transformer was faulty in the end, and the Nest is alive! :D

So after using it for the past couple of weeks, I've found that it is definitely better than the Ring in some ways - but in others it isn't. There are definitely some niggles, but for the most part, the picture quality is better and the ability to sweep through the footage with my finger is incredible! If I had to recommend either of them, it would be the Nest. The app is definitely much better than the Ring.

One of the most annoying things about it at the moment is that I normally get about 2 "Motion" notifications that I wake up to that have happened in the middle of the night. The first one is nothing, and the second is always when the night vision switches out. To be honest, the motion is too overly sensitive as it is, and I often get notifications when there is bugger all happening out the front of my house :p With the Ring, they had a "Motion Sensitivity" setting, but no such thing with Nest...

I've just put the "motion zones" into place, so I hope that will improve things - We'll see...

Also - A note worth mentioning for anyone who is thinking about buying the Nest Hello - It is useless without the Nest Aware subscription server - I mean that in every sense of the word... Useless! I actually think it's a slap in the face from Nest, as it is advertised as a product that works well without the subscription service, but don't be fooled, there is no point getting this doorbell if you're against getting the subscription service on top.

i wouldn't say that. as a security aspect it's useless. but as a video doorbell it works fine without the nest aware.

you are paying for the security aspect with the sub.

i have other cameras and it's the same thing unless they let you put an SD card into the nest Hello to record locally and then let you download and watch on phone as well as stream from the sd card when needed.

local storage would be the only way to make it better.

Soldato

I currently have a Nest pointing out the window for security until I get the Nest Hello doorbell fitted. The motion zones are complete *****. They don't seem to work at all for me.

I'm constantly getting notifications from cars and people driving past, way outside of the motion zones. I'm not sure why.

Soldato
i wouldn't say that. as a security aspect it's useless. but as a video doorbell it works fine without the nest aware.

you are paying for the security aspect with the sub.

i have other cameras and it's the same thing unless they let you put an SD card into the nest Hello to record locally and then let you download and watch on phone as well as stream from the sd card when needed.

local storage would be the only way to make it better.

It still puts a bad taste in my mouth. I knew going in to expect it, but I'm certain some people would have had buyers remorse if they had not properly looked into it. On top of paying £179, you're definitely going to want/need to pay at least £40/year to keep the service running.

I was just so shocked at how poorly it performs without Nest Aware - Almost all of its killer features are behind it. It's also worth noting that when you subscribe, it will take at least a day for the Nest people to put the service on your account.

I currently have a Nest pointing out the window for security until I get the Nest Hello doorbell fitted. The motion zones are complete *****. They don't seem to work at all for me.

I'm constantly getting notifications from cars and people driving past, way outside of the motion zones. I'm not sure why.

Interesting... I was hoping that it would cure my random motion notifications :p

The motion zones on the Ring worked for the first month, and then it ignored the zones and started notifying on all motion :p

Caporegime
OP

you haven't set it up right.

there are 2 notification settings one for inside the zone which is by default set to people and movement. and outside the zone which is people only.

set inside to people only and outside to none if you don't want any useless notifications

Soldato
Thanks Sonny, will look into that.

Looks like Google finally got the message after all the Nest security issues and lack of 2FA this last 6 - 12 months, and they'll be migrating all Nest accounts over to normal Google accounts - what, 5 years after aquiring them? :rolleyes:

https://store.google.com/us/categor...ium=email_service&utm_content=googlestorenest

Families around the world have embraced smart devices designed to make their homes more helpful. But the smart home – where products are meant to work together seamlessly to create helpful whole home experiences – is still too complex.

We believe all our connected home devices and services should work in a way that makes experiences more helpful, simple, and secure. Today, Nest and Google Home are joining together under one brand to make that happen, and to give you even more help at home. Introducing Google Nest.

Our products work beautifully together to help you stay informed, feel more comfortable and safe, keep an eye on home when you’re away, and be more connected to friends and family. Today, we’re taking our first steps on a journey to create a more helpful home.

One secure Google Account. Later this summer, you’ll have the option to migrate your Nest Account to a Google Account. Along with a more seamless sign-in experience across Nest and Google products, you’ll get access to all the tools and automatic security protections that come with a Google Account.

One developer platform. We want to provide a one-stop shop for both our developers and our customers to build a more helpful home. To accomplish this goal, we’re delivering a single experience through the Works with Google Assistant program. From the Home app, you can manage all your connected home devices from Nest and our smart home partners. You’ll be able to set up multi-device automated actions, such as morning or bedtime routines, through Assistant Routines.

One set of privacy commitments. As Nest redefines technology in the home, there’s an opportunity to explain clearly and simply how our connected home devices and services work, and how we will respect your privacy. Learn more about Google’s commitment to privacy in the home.

There’s no need to take any action right now. We’ll notify you when your Nest Account is ready for migration this summer.

Thank you for allowing us to be a guest in your home. We appreciate the trust you’ve placed in us – and we’re committed to keeping it.

To learn more, read our blog post or visit our What’s Happening FAQ page.

The Google Nest team

Back
Top Bottom