NEST thermostats

Soldato
daft question - as was considering a Nest or equivalent Thermostat

why 24V - and not 230V that could be connected directly in place of current Thermostat ?

ok without hot water - but my system has hot water on permanently

seems a lot of faff to wire up a separate box near boiler - just to effectively convert from 240V to 24V ? or am I missing something ?

Nest supports switching whatever voltage you have, be it 230V or 24V.

Soldato
Quick Q guys, I currently have a HIVE system, but will be switching to NEST as I like the connected appliances.

I did not have any wires previously, as the old boiler had no thermostat, so the way it connects now is;

Hive receiver = plugged directly into boiler in cupboard

Hive thermostat = On the wall (wireless / batteries)

Hive controller = plugged into my router and plugged into mains.

The boiler is being replaced anyway so would the NEST be the same in respect of, give it to the plumber and switch over whilst changing the boiler?

Is the thermostat itself portable (battery powered?)

Soldato
The boiler is being replaced anyway so would the NEST be the same in respect of, give it to the plumber and switch over whilst changing the boiler?

Yes, will be a super simple job for him.

Is the thermostat itself portable (battery powered?)

No, it has to be connected to power. This can either be
a) wired, requiring a 2-core cable between the thermostat and the HeatLink
b) USB, from any USB power supply (wall wart etc)

Soldato
Nest thermostat (new build)

Evening all,

Currently considering Nest however our new build has two heating zones with two thermostats (one in the lounge, one in the hall, e.g on the other side of the wall).

What does that mean for Nest? Would I need to have 2 nest thermostats to replace the existing ones?

Associate
Hi, same layout here, new built with 2 zones, but ours already had nest installed. Works very well for us.

In answer to your question, yes, you would need 2 nest thermostats to retain the dual zone.

Soldato
We have the same setup and have our Nest as the "master" stat (of sorts). It controls when the heating comes off and on and monitors the temp downstairs. We left the upstairs stat in situ because it means we can have the heating on downstairs but off or at a lower level upstairs. This makes sense to me given you don't always want your bedrooms to be as warm. I also can't foresee a situation where we'd want the heating on upstairs but off downstairs and that's the only thing having an upstairs Nest would let us do.

Something to bear in mind anyway.

Associate
New Nest has been in for 4 days and my only gripe is the thermostat has a perceivably slow response to temperature change.

Anybody found this?

All else is fine.

Caporegime
New Nest has been in for 4 days and my only gripe is the thermostat has a perceivably slow response to temperature change.

Anybody found this?

All else is fine.

mine is placed in my kitchen and i started using my airfryer and it seemed to notice pretty quickly the heat rising within the room. it went up half a degree within a few mins and 2 degrees within 10 minutes.

so no it doesn't have a slow response at all. in fact it is very fast

Associate

Anybody found this?

All else is fine.

Sometimes it will go down by 0.5 a degree if I walk quickly past it, due to the air generated :eek:

Soldato
Hi all, I asked this before but still unsure after some latest info.

So, the wall unit which you interact with, set temperature, etc.

Can power from a mains switch be diverted to power these? I had read they can't take mains power...but that might be the boiler units.

These are new locations so no existing wires. Any ideas if mains power is enough or too much?

Thanks

Associate
Hi all, I asked this before but still unsure after some latest info.

So, the wall unit which you interact with, set temperature, etc.

Can power from a mains switch be diverted to power these? I had read they can't take mains power...but that might be the boiler units.

These are new locations so no existing wires. Any ideas if mains power is enough or too much?

Thanks

Power to the thermostat controller can be delivered via a USB adapter that's plugged into the mains plug (not directly wired to the ring main which is what I think you're asking) - the receiver on the boiler itself is obviously wired directly to the boiler for power and controlling what the boiler does.

Soldato
I need to move it then. Is it best to move it physically to another wall in the house? Or can I replace it with a cotroller then make the nest wireless in a more appropriate area?

Caporegime
If my nest thermostat is in an area of the house that is noticeably cooler than the rest of the house, will that drive up temps even further in the already warmer rooms?

are you not supposed to have a thermostat in the coldest part of your house like a hallway so that it heats up the whole house.

put it this way say i have it in my living room and i invite a bunch of people over. all those bodies pumping out heat and hot air will increase the temperature of the living room. so the thermostat detects it's too hot and turns off the heating. when i kick everyone out and go upstairs it is now freezing there because the heating has been off the whole time because of all the people in the living room. had the thermostat been in the hallway it would have stayed on and if it got too hot in living room i can leave doors open so heat filters into other areas of the house.

the 2 coldest areas of my house downstairs are the kitchen due to patio doors, windows and 1 small radiator or the hallway as again doors to outside, massive area and 1 small radiator. so i used to have it in the hallway now it's in the kitchen atm as a temporary install but i'm thinking of putting back into hallway because as soon as you start cooking the temperature rises and thermostat is near the oven, hob, etc.

if you stick the thermostat in a hot room heating goes off and rest of house cold, if you stick it in a cold room heating remains on and if you get too hot in your particular room you can always open the door to let heat out into hallway, etc.

Soldato
Power to the thermostat controller can be delivered via a USB adapter that's plugged into the mains plug (not directly wired to the ring main which is what I think you're asking) - the receiver on the boiler itself is obviously wired directly to the boiler for power and controlling what the boiler does.

Yes, he wants to hook it in via a nearby lightswitch.

Damn, so I guess I have to get a USB cable run which is going to look crud. May as well put it on a stand on a shelf if that is the case.

Soldato
I've had a Nest Gen3 Thermostat kicking around in a box for 9 months after getting a very good deal from my energy company to buy it. I was thinking about installing it myself but for peace of mind and insurance confidence I paid for a Nest Pro to install it.

I now have 4 Nest Protect and 1 Thermostat. It is immediately better than what I have before as it shows the target and the current temperature whenever I approach it. I have gone online and updated the schedules and unlike my previous (very old) programmer I can decouple hot water and heating schedules so I'm not heating water in the morning when I don't need it anymore. I hadn't realised it gave a humidity reading and the thermostat seems far more accurate when compared against thermometers than my old mechanical Honeywell room stat with it's huge dead band.
The seamless integration with the Nest Protect's and ability to change operation remotely is good as my wife and I do have kind of variable lives and knocking the heating on before we get home unexpectedly early is a nice to have in our old solid walled house which can get quite cold during the day.

Overall Happy.

Back
Top Bottom