NEST thermostats

Soldato
This is probably a bit of a bump but seen as there's a relevant thread... Want to get a Nest Learning Thermostat but my other half has heard (literally from one colleague) that the learning elements are not great and a good schedule is preferable. Whilst I can kind of understand that I think the new Nest E (or plain Nest Thermostat) look much cheaper. So what else does the Learning Thermostat offer over the others? My argument of "it looks nicer" is only going to go so far :p

Also, am I right in thinking my girlfriend could add a Home routine to her morning alarm on her (Android) phone, to turn the heating on in winter? It's the small ideas that will sell it to her, lol..

Soldato
You can still set a schedule with the Learning Thermostat if thats what you're asking. We have the learning thermo and for the most part the "learning" aspect of it has been pretty good for knowing what time we wake up in the morning and adjusting to that.

Soldato
You can still set a schedule with the Learning Thermostat if thats what you're asking. We have the learning thermo and for the most part the "learning" aspect of it has been pretty good for knowing what time we wake up in the morning and adjusting to that.
Yeah cheers. I think her colleague was complaining that the scheduling wasn’t great either..

How does the learning adapt to wfh days and days away in the office?

Associate
The learning element relies on you; i.e. it learns how warm/cold you like your house based on temperature selection and at which times in the day. It can (will) create a schedule for you based on this, but of course you can create a schedule on your own if you like. I did both; created a schedule of what I thought I needed, then it slowly adjusts that schedule to better match actual heat demand. It also learn what time you get home etc, so lets say you like the house to be 19°C at 5pm and you arrive home at 5pm, Nest should over-time learn that you arrive at 5pm and how long it takes to heat the house and start 'pre-heating' at lets say 4:15 (if it takes 45mins to heat your house from temp X to 19°C)
Yeah cheers. I think her colleague was complaining that the scheduling wasn’t great either..

Two ways it can do this.
1. you set the same schedule for all days irrespective of whether you are home or not. Enabling location services on your phones the thermostat will realise you are not in, so even if you set it to 20°, it will revert to Eco which is usually set to 5° (but you can change this as well).
2. you set separate schedules to match the days you are home vs in the office.

Soldato
Thanks @M1k3H for the info. Sounds good that you can set your schedule and have learning on. Makes sense. I understand the Learning thermo is the only one that needs the Nest app? Whereas the other use Google Home? :confused:

Soldato

That was a point I was going to make actually. I work remotely 24/7 so am always home so not sure how it deals with it, but if you have set days you in the office it would learn which days they were and adjust accordingly but if you were completely random im not sure how it would do. I don't find the scheduling that bad really? You can program a full week for when you want it to come on and off and to what temperature. Not sure what else you could need it to do really?!

Soldato
but if you have set days you in the office it would learn which days they were and adjust accordingly
Currently we're both in the office T/W/T (slightly annoying actually) but my place is quite flexible. I'm sure it's fine.

Another stupid question. We want to mount it on the wall, but all instructions seem to suggest you only do that if you're replacing a wired thermostat. We currently have a crappy wireless thermostat in the lounge, but are getting a new boiler anyway. Surely the Nest works fine without the need for a c-wire (or anything else, I dont know I havent had a chance to figure all this out yet)

Soldato
Currently we're both in the office T/W/T (slightly annoying actually) but my place is quite flexible. I'm sure it's fine.

Another stupid question. We want to mount it on the wall, but all instructions seem to suggest you only do that if you're replacing a wired thermostat. We currently have a crappy wireless thermostat in the lounge, but are getting a new boiler anyway. Surely the Nest works fine without the need for a c-wire (or anything else, I dont know I havent had a chance to figure all this out yet)
Cant help you with that as ours was already installed in the house when we moved in so not sure what wiring is needed!

Soldato
lol fair enough. Looking at the reviews a lot of them are shown on godawful massive square backplates. Does it still come with that? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine is wall mounted, the Nest includes a wall mount and in terms of cabling there's just power needed. Power can either come from micro USB or a 12v supply that previously powered a central heating programmer, hence the ghastly white plates.

I'm using a USB cable fed from within the wall to power mine.

Associate
lol fair enough. Looking at the reviews a lot of them are shown on godawful massive square backplates. Does it still come with that? :confused:

Yeah you can not use that....our electrician put it on first time with it but had him take it off as backplate is horrible.....

It's just to hide hole if old thermostat was massive....

Last edited:
Soldato
or a 12v supply that previously powered a central heating programmer, hence the ghastly white plates.
Are these the C or R wires? It’s so confusing reading everything online because most of it is for the US. I might just give up and be idiot customer who just says to the gasman and electrician “put it here neatly and make it work” :p

Question about farsight, how wide an angle does it work to? We’re likely to put it opposite our coat cupboard under the stairs in our hallway, it’ll be at a right angle from the front door which is about 2m away. Just wondering if it’ll light up when you come in or if that is too tight an angle. Doesn’t really matter, it’ll be next to the door into the kitchen/diner so likely to light up when you walk though (or go in the coat cupboard) anyway.

Soldato
Are these the C or R wires? It’s so confusing reading everything online because most of it is for the US. I might just give up and be idiot customer who just says to the gasman and electrician “put it here neatly and make it work” :p

Question about farsight, how wide an angle does it work to? We’re likely to put it opposite our coat cupboard under the stairs in our hallway, it’ll be at a right angle from the front door which is about 2m away. Just wondering if it’ll light up when you come in or if that is too tight an angle. Doesn’t really matter, it’ll be next to the door into the kitchen/diner so likely to light up when you walk though (or go in the coat cupboard) anyway.

They're labelled on the base as T1 & T2. Checking the Nest installation guide it shows on page 10 that T1 & T2 are 12v DC. It then says on page 13 that it doesn't matter which way around the wires go so the Nest isn't polarity sensitive.

I can't really comment on farsight, I generally look at my thermostat from about a 45 degree range and it works fine. I don't think it'll pick you up front right angles but have never tried. The 2m distance isn't a problem, mine works from over double that.

Soldato
If it is of any influnce, the Learning thermostat scheduling has to be controlled with the Nest app (not integrated into Google Home yet). You can set the temperature but that is it. Google also have not confirmed whether it will be updated with Matter frustratingly.

Soldato
If it is of any influnce, the Learning thermostat scheduling has to be controlled with the Nest app (not integrated into Google Home yet). You can set the temperature but that is it. Google also have not confirmed whether it will be updated with Matter frustratingly.
Does that go for the new Home app beta? I’ll have to take a look. Seems a bit strange (although typically Google). I’m sure Google’s Home suite was going to support Matter along with everything else - but it’s not something I’ve actually looked into.

Soldato
Does that go for the new Home app beta? I’ll have to take a look. Seems a bit strange (although typically Google). I’m sure Google’s Home suite was going to support Matter along with everything else - but it’s not something I’ve actually looked into.

I have not tried the Beta home app but I cannot see anything online to suggest that scheduling is included for the learning thermostat.

Google have confirmed the 2020 Thermostat (E model) should get updated to Matter/Thread in 2023 but have not mentioned the older learning thermostat.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have not tried the Beta home app but I cannot see anything online to suggest that scheduling is included for the learning thermostat.

Google have confirmed the 2020 Thermostat (E model) should get updated to Matter/Thread in 2023 but have not mentioned the older learning thermostat.
I foolishly didn't realise the v3 Learning Thermostat was so old. 2015! Wonder why they haven't released a new version? I expect they'll announce it this year after I get mine installed :o

Soldato
I foolishly didn't realise the v3 Learning Thermostat was so old. 2015! Wonder why they haven't released a new version? I expect they'll announce it this year after I get mine installed :o

I enjoy mine (as much as one can a thermostat). The screen is excetionally clear, they work with my zoned heating, I regularly use the "at a glance" feature to check the overnight temperatures to see if I need to set the car to defrost, and they have a great feel in the hand.

When we look to move in a few years time I will be looking at what is available on the market though with better integrations. Definitely will not go back to a "regular" thermostat.

Back
Top Bottom