NEST thermostats

Associate
posted in here about a year ago as I was interested in getting a Nest and haven't done anything since!

This is what I have currently:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/141360063@N03/K499Y0 (don't know how to put pictures in, used to use Photobucket)

Thermostat in hallway
Boiler and Programmer in kitchen
Hot water tank and things on the top floor...

Want to know if I can place the Nest where my current thermostat is using the current wiring?

And does the heatlink replace my programmer that's next to the boiler?

Basically, need to know if I can install it using all the current wiring, so no extra work is required chasing wires in walls etc?

Associate
Page 36 of the manual shows an image of where the thermostat will be wired into. It shows a loop but you won't have that as you already have a thermostat. Basically those two cables go into the heat link. You just then take 240 into the heat link and put a two core cable from the heat link into the Nest thermostat. You should be able to use your existing wiring for that.

http://idealboilers.com/uploads/documents/Logic-Heat-Installation-and-Servicing.pdf

Soldato
Basically, need to know if I can install it using all the current wiring, so no extra work is required chasing wires in walls etc?

You've got all the wires you need, the heat link will replace your timeclock which is straight forward. The Nest can replace your existing room stat, but you need to trace the wires back to the wiring center and transfer them to the heat link (T1,T2). The original roomstat connections in the wiring center need bridging, or your heating won't work.

Mick

Associate
Page 36 of the manual shows an image of where the thermostat will be wired into. It shows a loop but you won't have that as you already have a thermostat. Basically those two cables go into the heat link. You just then take 240 into the heat link and put a two core cable from the heat link into the Nest thermostat. You should be able to use your existing wiring for that.

http://idealboilers.com/uploads/documents/Logic-Heat-Installation-and-Servicing.pdf

You've got all the wires you need, the heat link will replace your timeclock which is straight forward. The Nest can replace your existing room stat, but you need to trace the wires back to the wiring center and transfer them to the heat link (T1,T2). The original roomstat connections in the wiring center need bridging, or your heating won't work.

Mick

Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know.

Just ordered one :D

Associate
Ps, Do not alter any wiring inside your boiler. Unless you plan on connecting and making use of the Opentherm system, as both your boiler and hub are compatible.
Mick

I wasn't going to... but should I for the maximum benefit of using the system to its full potential? what are the differences in doing/not doing it?

Soldato
The boiler uses a switch live to run the boiler, the boiler has capacity to accept Opentherm information from the hub to adjust its output to the systems needs, so will run a little bit more efficient. Up to you if you want to use it :)

Mick

Associate
The boiler uses a switch live to run the boiler, the boiler has capacity to accept Opentherm information from the hub to adjust its output to the systems needs, so will run a little bit more efficient. Up to you if you want to use it :)

Mick

ok, I guess if it's not a massive difference I won't bother with it.

Thanks for the advice

Associate
Yesterday I was close to pulling the trigger on a Hive until reading it can't be uninstalled and moved once it is in.

Can you remove Nest and take that with you if you move home? I have the chance of getting a Nest w/ installation via First Utility if I switch my tariff, currently paying £82 p/m and the new one is £97.

Also I have Hive bulbs and plugs, can they all co-exist>

Cheers.

Associate
I got my Nest on Thursday and got it fitted that night, very simple to fit to a combi boiler.

Currently getting used to it, but so far so good I think.

I have a potterton combi boiler but would opt for professional installation as I ain't very good with this kind of stuff. Would you say it is easy to remove and put back to how it was?

Associate
Yes very easy. My old thermostat was wireless, so it was just a case of swapping one box with another.

I have never looked into what mine is tbh, I just need to convince the missus this is what we need haha.

Actually just had a look now and my boiler only has an on/off switch no heatlink or anything... My current thermostat must be wireless too??

God knows.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have never looked into what mine is tbh, I just need to convince the missus this is what we need haha.

Actually just had a look now and my boiler only has an on/off switch no heatlink or anything... My current thermostat must be wireless too??

God knows.

Follow the wires out the bottom of it, one will go to a fused spur to power the boiler, then there is usually another cable which goes either straight to the thermostat, or a white box of some kind which will be a wireless receiver.

Man of Honour
I had a look at Tado and the renting thing they do, from what I understand it is more of an off-hand experience. Also only replaces the thermo yeah? Nothing needs to be added to the boiler.
Yeah just swapped out my old manual thermostat on the wall with it so it can be swapped back again easily. The programmer is then set to be always on for the heating so it then controls it via Tado instead.

Associate
Just a quick question. I have a Danfoss RX1 at the moment, and have the Nest ready to go in. I have seen several posts, some say about having a jumper across from live to common, others say that is how you fry the boiler PCB. From reading the boiler manual it appears both are right. Just need to have the correct setting on the boiler board.

I have taken the cover off the RX1, and the supply cable coming in goes to N and L. There is an additional cable from the same two feeding the boiler. Then there is a jumper from live to number 2, which is Common. Surely if this jumper is there now, the board is set up already to take the mains voltage, so I need to transfer the jumper across for the Nest?

Now I've written this all out I am more convinced that I have this right, just checking as there are forum posts all over saying different things.

Thanks

Soldato
I was wondering if any other Nest owners use Home Away Assist? I've stopped using it as I find it really drains my iPhone battery as it's the only app I allow to use Background App Refresh.

Does anyone use Skylark? If so, how does that effect battery life? or is it just a case of using the sensors within the thermostat and my protect smoke alarms to set Away mode?

Soldato
I was wondering if any other Nest owners use Home Away Assist? I've stopped using it as I find it really drains my iPhone battery as it's the only app I allow to use Background App Refresh.

Does anyone use Skylark? If so, how does that effect battery life? or is it just a case of using the sensors within the thermostat and my protect smoke alarms to set Away mode?

I use the Home/Away assist on my phone and it doesn't drain my battery much. My phones usually on about 50-60% by the time I go to bed at night. Have you checked the battery monitor on the phone to see if it is that draining your battery?

The main issue I've had with it is its unreliability. It'll work for a while but then suddenly stops setting the thermostats to Away.

Back
Top Bottom